Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Playseat Challenge or Evolution?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4 Pro

Playseat Challenge or Evolution?

Hey,

I am currently running with a T300 wheel with 599XX/F1 rims. I am using a Wheel Stand Pro V2 which is ok, but I am using a fishing chair which I actually like as you can sit low and it is comfortable. However as many of you will know under heavy breaking and steering corrections I end up moving about and jiggling the chair back into place down a straight. Not ideal so it led me to start looking at sim rigs.

I play Project Cars, F1 2015, Dirt Rally etc so whilst I like the look of the Playseat Evolution I have read in various places that it isn't the most comfortable seat in the world and many suffer from numb bum and backache after longer periods. I tend to take part in endurance races and full length F1 races so this doesn't sound great and the padding in the Evolution doesn't look up to much.

Space is not an issue for me and it won't be put away ever, so that's not something I have to worry about. I then watched a review by Inside Sim Racing where they reviewed the Challenge. At first glance it looks flimsy, but actually one of the things I liked was that it had the same style construction as my fishing chair, almost like a hammock which mimics a real F1 seat. It looked comfortable and also you could put the chair into both F1 and Gt seating positions.

Anyone with either can offer their advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've looked at GT Omega as well, and they look good value for money.

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Well I've got a Playseat Challenge and I was very surprised how solid and comfortable it is.
    I suffer from lower back problems and cant sit in the harder racing seats for more than 30 mins or so, with this one I can sit in it for hours on end without any problems at all.
    Others might disagree but for me it's the one that works, and for the price it's a great buy.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Prynne View Post
    Well I've got a Playseat Challenge and I was very surprised how solid and comfortable it is.
    I suffer from lower back problems and cant sit in the harder racing seats for more than 30 mins or so, with this one I can sit in it for hours on end without any problems at all.
    Others might disagree but for me it's the one that works, and for the price it's a great buy.
    Cheers buddy, it is more solid than it looks. I've got bulging discs at the base of my spine so I get numb bum real quick on most seats whereas using my fishing chair I don't seem to suffer too badly. The evolution looks quite uncomfortable and more sale over substance IMO, but what's the adjustment like in terms of going from F1 to GT? It looks like you can have it leaned back quite a bit. And what's the pedal holder like, is it solid?

Platform
    PC
    Yeah it's all solid as a rock, and yes you can recline it like an F1 seat and then change to be more upright if you want.
    The only thing I would say about the pedal base is that I need to raise it about 6" to make it more comfortable, especially when in F1 style.

Also you want to get your screen as close to the base of the wheel as you can, but I would do that for any rig anyway.
    Last edited by Roger Prynne; 11-04-2016 at 21:00.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Prynne View Post
    Yeah it's all solid as a rock, and yes you can recline it like an F1 seat and then change to be more upright if you want.
    The only thing I would say about the pedal base is that I need to raise it about 6" to make it more comfortable, especially when in F1 style.

Also you want to get your screen as close to the base of the wheel as you can, but I would do that for any rig anyway.
    I did wonder about the pedal position in F1 style sitting position. What do you do to raise yours up? I have a 27in monitor that is wall mounted but I'm up real close to it.

Platform
    PC
    I can totally confirm what Roger is saying, the Challenge is amazingly solid and comfortable. I also raised the pedal base a bit, I used the packaging of the Gear Shift Support (just cut it into two pieces, attached it with some tape and stabilized the whole thing with two of these yellow inserts of Kinder surprise.. it was supposed to be temporarily for a quick test, but I'm using it for two or three months now; maybe I can upload some pics from my phone).

If the seat is not meant to be moved away, you should check out the "Show your rig" thread or similiar threads in other forums, there are even guys who mounted their screens directly to the seat, etc.

IMO the challenge is absolutely worth its money..

Here's my minimum budget solution =D and those racing shoes were just for demonstration purposes =D
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	231305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	231304
    Last edited by Reiche; 11-04-2016 at 21:28. Reason: uploaded images

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiche View Post
    I can totally confirm what Roger is saying, the Challenge is amazingly solid and comfortable. I also raised the pedal base a bit, I used the packaging of the Gear Shift Support (just cut it into two pieces, attached it with some tape and stabilized the whole thing with two of these yellow inserts of Kinder surprise.. it was supposed to be temporarily for a quick test, but I'm using it for two or three months now; maybe I can upload some pics from my phone).

If the seat is not meant to be moved away, you should check out the "Show your rig" thread or similiar threads in other forums, there are even guys who mounted their screens directly to the seat, etc.

IMO the challenge is absolutely worth its money..
    Hey Reiche,

Thanks for the post. How did you raise your pedal base? Did you find the Challenge moved side to side then before you modified it?

I'm leaning towards the Challenge over the Evolution.

Platform
    PC
    My pedals are right under my 50" TV and just sit on a 6/8" high small box, they wont move anywhere as they are connected to the seat.
    Once your weight is on the seat it's solid.

Platform
    PC
    Check out this Rig!!! Not too expensive... only few $$$ more than the playseat Challenge but if you have space for a rig then its a Good buy and can be upgraded over time... There are a few different models that may suit your budget or needs.

I have been looking at Rseat RS1 for a bit now waiting for a price drop especially not that they released the N1 but its Not dropping!!! I don,t want to spend $950.00 total cost with shipping and taxes on it!!!

I'm thinking about getting the Super Sport (Full Bracing) model from this site and its only $620.00 after adding the Fanatec shifter Mount, taxes and Shipping.

Super Sport Evolution - Build Kit - 25 Series – Open Sim Rigs
    OS: Win 10/64bit| Mobo: MSI Z170A-M5 | CPU: i7-7700k | Cooler: Corsair H90 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | GPU: Asus Strix 1080ti-OC Edition | PSU: CX 750M | Storage: Samsung SSD 250GB +4TB HD +1TB Media HD | PC Case: Corsair 760T | Display: QLED 55in Curved TV / VR: Oculus Rift | Rig: RSeat N1, Fanatec DD2, CSP v3i , CSS SQ v1.5, CS HB, Porsche 918, Formula Black F1, XB1 Hub/Forza Rim, Astro A40 TR*, 2x Buttkicker Gamer2. Lets Talk FFB thread PC,PS4,XB1

Platform
    PC
    The trouble with that is that it's a hard seat, and he suffers from lower back problems like me.

The following user likes this Post: GrimeyDog