Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clubsport V3 Pedal Brake Jerkiness

Platform
    PC

Clubsport V3 Pedal Brake Jerkiness

This isn't strictly a Projects cars issue but I thought it might get a relevant audience here. A wee bit of a story to this one but if you have a sticky/jerky brake pedal on your V3's you might want to read on.

There is a known issue with the Clubsport V3 pedals where when you push the brake pedal hard the action of it becomes slightly jerky; like the brake is sticking slightly. Fanatec acknowledged this on their site by posting that users experiencing it should lubricate the PU foam with a different lubricant that has PTFE in it. I was experiencing this problem so decided to try it.

Upon trying to undo the screw that holds the rod in that attaches the brake pedal to the brake rod and hinge, it was found that the screw had been put in wrong and forced so hard I couldn't remove it - the threads had been fused together. Eventually this led to the screw becoming completely chewed as I tried to remove it and I couldn't take the pedal apart. I worked another way to get to the PU foam (wasn't easy) and lubricated it as advised. It initially helped but quickly got sticky again.

In the meantime I asked Fanatec to send a replacement brake rod and hinge, which they did.

When the part came through I noticed a subtle but important difference between the rods on them - see the pic below (apologies for the quality as I never realised it was out of focus until I fitted the part back in my pedals).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160415_20_00_46_Pro.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	231517

The rod on the left is the original and the one on the right the new one. Note the more pronounced bevel on the original and smaller cross section where it will contact the PU foam.

I was immediately suspicious that the stickiness was being caused by the contact patch on the original rod being smaller than the diameter of the PU foam; as it presses down on it this will lead to the PU foam squeezing up around the bevel of the rod and sticking between the rod and the brake chamber. This was confirmed when I fitted the new rod and my brake pedal action is now completely smooth with no stickiness.

So, if you are having this stickiness, I strongly suspect it is because you have this smaller contact patch rod and it might be worthwhile contacting Fanatec.
    The following 5 users likes this Post: charliev69, Fanapryde, MrPix, RomKnight, ZiggyUK

Platform
    PC
    I've read about it but in my case it was the damper. I removed the damper, the pedal was smooth (the damper was promptly replaced).

I don't think I've got that problem while using the pedal without the damper (which was probably 30m or so total...). I also have the "dial" on the pedal set to 2 IIRC so I don't quite press it fully as the load cell gets in early which might help with "wear"
    ---
    My feedback is always on default setup unless stated otherwise. Auto-Clutch is OFF
    Still hoping for Estoril one day

| CPU: i5 4670K@4.2GHz | GPU: MSI GTX1080 Gaming X 8GB (397.31) (OC: +70/+450) | Mobo: AsRock Z87 Extreme6
    | RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz CL10 | PSU: Corsair TX850M | OS: Win10 x64 | Sound: Onboard Realtek ACL1150 | C:\>: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
    [B]| Monitor:[/B] 3x IPS LG23EA63 @5760x1080 (Bezel Corrected) -- HTC VIVE

| Wheel: CSWv2 + CSPv3(usb) + CSS SQv1.5 - (driver v310 - fw 455) | Damping: 100 | 900º
    | In game: Deadzones: 0 |Sensitivity: 50 | Damping: 0
    | Wheel Profile: Sens: Aut | FF: 100 | SHo: 100 | ABS: 0 | Dri: OFF | For: 100 | Spr: 100 | Dpr: 100

| FFB: RAW|Gain: 100 | Volume: 50 | Tone: 50 | FX: 50 [B]

| Visual FX: Default except Interion Flare: Off
    | Performance - Aniso: 16x | MSAA: Medium | Vsync: Off | Grass: Low | Envmap/Reflections/Shadows: Low/medium/low | Car/Track: High | Blur: Off
    | E. Mirrors: Yes | Particles: High/High | SS: 1.2 | Sharpening Strength/Clamp: 0.6/0.045
    | Driving assists: ABS/TC, maybe - SC always OFF
    | CmdLine: -ffb600 -skipcrowds

Platform
    PC
    You have me thinking now. I knew about the PTFE recommendation and assumed my jerkiness was just needing some of that to sort it out... but I have a damper too, so may remove that 1st. The damper on the throttle does not have any jerkiness, so I never suspected it.

I'll get my magnifying glass, don my deerstalker and take my pipe out and see what clues I can find.

Thanks both for posting!
    i7 5960X @ 4500Mhz water cooled | 32GB DDR4 @ 2666Mhz | Asus X99 Sabertooth | MSI GTX 1080 FE @ 2062Mhz/11,200Mhz water cooled | Samsung UE65JU7500 65" @ 4K | Oculus Rift CV1 | Win 10 Pro x64 on Samsung 951 M.2 PCIe 3.0 @ x4 | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 5.1 | Onboard Realtek (for SimVibe) | SteelSeried Siberia 800 Wireless Headset | SuperFlower Leadex Platinum 850 | Next Level GTultimate v2 Racing Cockpit | Next Level Motion v3 | Fanatec CSW v2 base | BMW M3 GT2 rim | Porsche 918 RSR rim | Formula Carbon rim | 27cm Round Rim c/w Universal Hub | ClubSport Pedals v3 + dampers + performance kit | CSS SQ v1.5 shifter | ClubSport Handbrake | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | SimVibe | SLI-Emu/SLIMax Manager

CSWv2 261/204 Settings: SEn:AUt | FF:65| Sho:100 | AbS:OFF | Lin:OFF | dEA:OFF | drI:003 | For:100 | SPr:OFF | dPr:OFF

[Project Immersion Website] | [FOV Calculator] | [YouTube] | [Facebook]

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPix View Post
    You have me thinking now. I knew about the PTFE recommendation and assumed my jerkiness was just needing some of that to sort it out... but I have a damper too, so may remove that 1st. The damper on the throttle does not have any jerkiness, so I never suspected it.

I'll get my magnifying glass, don my deerstalker and take my pipe out and see what clues I can find.

Thanks both for posting!
    Update on this. It looks like I was wrong in my assersion about the shape of the brake rod being the cause of the issue as it came back just as bad as before. However I am fairly sure this time I did sort it.

Fanatec now recommend using a lubricant with PTFE in it and I was using a dry lubricant with PTFE however I wasn't using it correctly. The trick with this stuff is its dry lube so you are supposed to spray it on then let it dry and it leaves a on oily film of PTFE. Procedure below on what I done.

I used a spray called GT-85 for this but any PTFE dry lubricant should work.

- removed PU foam and cleaned it with washing up liquid, thoroughly rinsed then squeezed with pliers to get he water out (compress it vertically or you could damage the foam) and dried with a hairdryer (dry it for longer than you think as the foam might have absorbed some water).
    - Put the foam in a small bowl and saturated it with the dry PTFE spray. Completely soak it as you want as much PTFE left on it as possible
    - Allow the foam to completely dry. I shook the excess off it then put it in a boiler cupboard for 30 mins. It should look and feel dry once it's ready.

After that just fit it back in and off you go.

The brake action is worlds apart from what it was now. Nicer overall action and no stickingess/creakiness whatsoever.

Hope this helps.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: MrPix, RomKnight, Sankyo

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    Update on this. It looks like I was wrong in my assersion about the shape of the brake rod being the cause of the issue as it came back just as bad as before. However I am fairly sure this time I did sort it.

Fanatec now recommend using a lubricant with PTFE in it and I was using a dry lubricant with PTFE however I wasn't using it correctly. The trick with this stuff is its dry lube so you are supposed to spray it on then let it dry and it leaves a on oily film of PTFE. Procedure below on what I done.

I used a spray called GT-85 for this but any PTFE dry lubricant should work.

- removed PU foam and cleaned it with washing up liquid, thoroughly rinsed then squeezed with pliers to get he water out (compress it vertically or you could damage the foam) and dried with a hairdryer (dry it for longer than you think as the foam might have absorbed some water).
    - Put the foam in a small bowl and saturated it with the dry PTFE spray. Completely soak it as you want as much PTFE left on it as possible
    - Allow the foam to completely dry. I shook the excess off it then put it in a boiler cupboard for 30 mins. It should look and feel dry once it's ready.

After that just fit it back in and off you go.

The brake action is worlds apart from what it was now. Nicer overall action and no stickingess/creakiness whatsoever.

Hope this helps.
    wow, what a coincidence, I was going to disassemble the v3 tonight to have a look at the shape, so you've saved me a job until I get the PTFE spray. I have silicone dry lube, but not PTFE, so will go with the recommendation from Fanatec and follow your procedure.

Thanks again for posting!
    i7 5960X @ 4500Mhz water cooled | 32GB DDR4 @ 2666Mhz | Asus X99 Sabertooth | MSI GTX 1080 FE @ 2062Mhz/11,200Mhz water cooled | Samsung UE65JU7500 65" @ 4K | Oculus Rift CV1 | Win 10 Pro x64 on Samsung 951 M.2 PCIe 3.0 @ x4 | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 5.1 | Onboard Realtek (for SimVibe) | SteelSeried Siberia 800 Wireless Headset | SuperFlower Leadex Platinum 850 | Next Level GTultimate v2 Racing Cockpit | Next Level Motion v3 | Fanatec CSW v2 base | BMW M3 GT2 rim | Porsche 918 RSR rim | Formula Carbon rim | 27cm Round Rim c/w Universal Hub | ClubSport Pedals v3 + dampers + performance kit | CSS SQ v1.5 shifter | ClubSport Handbrake | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | SimVibe | SLI-Emu/SLIMax Manager

CSWv2 261/204 Settings: SEn:AUt | FF:65| Sho:100 | AbS:OFF | Lin:OFF | dEA:OFF | drI:003 | For:100 | SPr:OFF | dPr:OFF

[Project Immersion Website] | [FOV Calculator] | [YouTube] | [Facebook]

Platform
    PC
    NPs MrPix - this was becoming a major pain for me and I was close to sending the pedals back but it's transformed the braking action. I would not have recommended the V3 pedals to anyone due to this issue but now I would.
    The following user likes this Post: MrPix

Platform
    PC
    I wonder how that new "rubber" testing is going on to exchange the foam forever. This lube thing is annoying. But this is me, because I had to lube chains for years on my motorcycles and for some years now I don't need to as the XT1200 has a driveshaft instead and I kind of got spoiled
    ---
    My feedback is always on default setup unless stated otherwise. Auto-Clutch is OFF
    Still hoping for Estoril one day

| CPU: i5 4670K@4.2GHz | GPU: MSI GTX1080 Gaming X 8GB (397.31) (OC: +70/+450) | Mobo: AsRock Z87 Extreme6
    | RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz CL10 | PSU: Corsair TX850M | OS: Win10 x64 | Sound: Onboard Realtek ACL1150 | C:\>: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
    [B]| Monitor:[/B] 3x IPS LG23EA63 @5760x1080 (Bezel Corrected) -- HTC VIVE

| Wheel: CSWv2 + CSPv3(usb) + CSS SQv1.5 - (driver v310 - fw 455) | Damping: 100 | 900º
    | In game: Deadzones: 0 |Sensitivity: 50 | Damping: 0
    | Wheel Profile: Sens: Aut | FF: 100 | SHo: 100 | ABS: 0 | Dri: OFF | For: 100 | Spr: 100 | Dpr: 100

| FFB: RAW|Gain: 100 | Volume: 50 | Tone: 50 | FX: 50 [B]

| Visual FX: Default except Interion Flare: Off
    | Performance - Aniso: 16x | MSAA: Medium | Vsync: Off | Grass: Low | Envmap/Reflections/Shadows: Low/medium/low | Car/Track: High | Blur: Off
    | E. Mirrors: Yes | Particles: High/High | SS: 1.2 | Sharpening Strength/Clamp: 0.6/0.045
    | Driving assists: ABS/TC, maybe - SC always OFF
    | CmdLine: -ffb600 -skipcrowds

Platform
    PC
    Well the brake pedal jerkiness unfortunately re-appeared after 3-4 days use. The best it's been since i bought the pedals but re-lubing the PU foam every few days is ludicrous so I went back to find another lubricant.

Found and applied this stuff 5 days ago:

https://muc-off.com/lube/179-c3-dry-ceramic-lube.html

Been using it since (prob put in about 20hrs play) and the brake action is still silky smooth so hopefully, finally, found the right stuff. Disappointing that the PU foam needs what is basically a top of the range bike chain dry lube to finally work properly but just glad I seem to have finally found something that saves me having to send the pedals back or re-apply lube every few days.

I had this exact same problem and applied WD PTFE Dry Lube multiple times as described but the problem constantly returned of a sticky, gritty feeling. Living in a hot & humid clime does not help I think. Eventually I contacted Fanatec and it took some time but they sent me a set of Waxed PU Foam which are working brilliantly. I do not know what the wax is but it would be helpful if Fanatec told us exactly what it is because I imagine at some point it may need reapplying. Brakes have been good for about 3 weeks now with no issues.
    i7 6700K@4.6Ghz | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | 16GB Corsair DDR4 3000 | GB 1080 G1 Gaming | Creative X-Fi | Win10 Pro | Samsung 960 EVO 250 SSD | GTUltimate2 Cockpit | AccuForce Pro + CSS SQ + CSP V3 | NL Motion V3 | Bkg2 + SimVibe | Philips BDM4065 40inch 4K Monitor | Sony 65inch ZD9 | Oculus Rift CV1 | Zalman Mid-Tower |SeaSonic 850w Silver80 | Turbo-Charged Beagle Foxy Mutt
    The following user likes this Post: clutchA

As a replacement for the original parafin-free vaseline they initially recommended Liqui Moly 3076 PTFE Powder Spray.
    They now use Clueber (I guess it's Klüber) Wax lubrication but idk the exact reference. I've just received my replacement foams set lubricated with this but still have to install and try it.

You may check Klüber dry lubricant product line in this pdf: http://www.klueber.com/ecomaXL/files..._glance_13.pdf
    Last edited by neelrocker; 18-05-2016 at 06:18.