Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You can't spell "Wheel" without "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Platform
    PC

Red face You can't spell "Wheel" without "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Guys,

I played pCARS with controller from the start and was quite happy with it. I put some rubber foam rings (originally meant for more accuracy in FPS games) around my steering stick which do a pretty decent job making my steering more precise.
    But as my now 6 months old daughter grows and recently started pulling on my controller while sitting on my lap (resulting in some rather unconventional ontrack maneuvers), I decided and convinced my wife to get a wheel.

So I bought myself a Wheel Stand pro, a T3PA and a 458 Spider Wheel, which, due to a little "happy accident" on ebay, will be replaced by a TX within the next days.
    By the way: I don't like the button placement and assignment on the 458 rim. It happened several times to me that I pressed A (resp. its twin) instead of the D-Pad. So I ordered a Leather 28GT rim for some 65 on Amazon.

However, even with the current setup without FFB, I'd explain the difference between controller and wheel like, riding a bicycle sitting forwards instead of standing backwards. All of a sudden it's no more wobbling and yanking the car around but precise driving, whoohooo!

ATM there's only one thing for me left to learn: After the start I tend to forget to put my left foot on the brake, resulting in me taking the first corner with a depressed clutch instead of braking.
    Pro: Very fast.
    Con: Very fast.

Superkart Pilot Dan77 DESTROYER's Avatar
    Platform
    XBOX1
    yes a wheel really opens the game up for you and gives you much more precise control and also ups the immersion, I will never race again with a controller, the tx is a fantastic wheel, wouldn't be without mine

Enjoy!!
    PC:i5k:gtx960:8gb hyperX: 2tb hdd:steelseries mouse and mat:40" Sony Bravia
    XBONE GT: Dan77 SOLO : TX wheel, stock pedals with dual shock brake mod
    The following user likes this Post: nissan4ever

Platform
    PC
    The thing is: In comparison to Forza5, which I played before and just keep in the cupboard for when my brother comes around for a split screen race, pCARS was very controller-friendly* and gave me a quite realistic and immersive feeling. I had no doubt a wheel would knock things up a notch, but I was (and am) amazed how huge the difference is!

*) at least after patch 1.4
    The following user likes this Post: oneBIGkicker

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by ao1977 View Post
    The thing is: In comparison to Forza5, which I played before and just keep in the cupboard for when my brother comes around for a split screen race, pCARS was very controller-friendly* and gave me a quite realistic and immersive feeling. I had no doubt a wheel would knock things up a notch, but I was (and am) amazed how huge the difference is!

*) at least after patch 1.4
    Wait until you get the TX. FFB can turn sim racing into a seriously awesome addiction.
    PC: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero| Intel I7-9700K 4.7 GHz | 32GB Ripjaws V Series | RTX 2080 Super, 8GB | Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Air Cooler | 1 TB Samsung Evo SSD x 2
    Rig: Accuforce V2, HE Sprint Pedals, SimLab GT1 | Alienware 34" Curved | Turn R20 U-Hub Combo, Formula Black, Porsche 918 RSR | CSS SQ | Oculus CV1 | BK LFE Mini x 2

Steam ID: Haiden773

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiden View Post
    Wait until you get the TX. FFB can turn sim racing into a seriously awesome addiction.
    Got it today. Sweet Baby Jesus, that thing almost ripped my wrists apart! I turned FFB down to 50% for a start.
    The last FFB wheel I owned some ten years ago was a Logitech plastic toy named Formula Force GP. I did honestly NOT expect the TX motor to be that strong, this is amazing!

A first quick setup
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160426_171938597.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	232153

Turns out my daughter likes the sound of GT3 cars.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rennsemmel.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	232154

Platform
    PC
    ***ALL MY TIRE RELATED DISCUSSION ARE REFERRING TO MODERN GT/LMP TIRES***
    PC Rig: intel i7-6700k @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z170X G1 Gaming | EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming | Fanatec CSL Elite Base | CSL Elite Load-Cell Pedals | Formula F1 2018 Wheel
    Other endeavours: lacrosse, hockey, snowboarding, DCS F/A-18C
    The following 2 users likes this Post: beetes_juice, nissan4ever

Platform
    PC
    Hi Abe, I already knew that thread, but thanks for the reminder. I will tinker around with the recommended settings; as far as I understood the contents of the thread I should reduce the tire force a bit.

Anyway, the wheel is a big chunk of fun even with the default settings!

Rookie
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I've also just got a wheel for this game (Thrustmaster TX) and I must say it has transformed the way the game feels especially after reading up on differant forums looking for settings. I have now found via youtube some great settings that seem pretty much universal give or take a few little treeks here and there so just loving the experience at the mo..

Platform
    XBOX1
    Playing racing game with a wheel is the only way to do it IMO. I used to play racing games with gamepad and wheel, but now I don't even bother playing it on the gamepad, because it's just not the same once you get used to playing with a wheel.
    The immersion you get with a wheel it's great, I can spend hours and hours on the game, even just hot lapping different tracks and cars on my own. I've never experienced a better racing game. Overall, the wheel is the way forward. Also try and play with headphones, really make a difference for the experience of the game.
    ME | Project Cars 2 & F1 2017 & DiRT Rally | Xbox One | Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Ferrari 599XX EVO 30 Wheel Add-On Alcantara Edition & T3PA Pedals | PLAYSEAT Challenge | SONY Bravia 48'' 4K Ultra HD

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by ao1977 View Post
    As far as I understood the contents of the thread I should reduce the tire force a bit.
    Yup

Leave FFB at 100 & lower the tire force till it feels good to your liking.
    Project CARS 2 - Gold Member
    Xbox One X/Seagate SSD 1 TB USB/Netgear Nighthawk xr700 Gaming Router/Thrustmaster TX/TM Leather 28 GT Rim/Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2/T3PA Pedals/Turtle Beach Elite Pro 2 + Superamp Pro/LG 43UH6500 4K UHD HDR Game Mode