Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Race Overlay (for console streamers)

Platform
    PS4

Cool Race Overlay (for console streamers)

There are a lot of beautiful and useful apps for players, there is a beautiful and useful app for PC streamers, but I was not able to find something useful for console streamers, via UDP only... so I did it by myself (a big thanks to pjrblue who gave me a DLL to read UDP input stream)
    It is not professional, maybe real software developers will laugh at it (I used Excel with VBA code), but it works and combines game infos with your own championship infos: drivers, rankings, etc...

Of course you will need a streaming software like Xsplit (better) or OBS Studio (unfortunately I found that OBS Classic can not overlay an Excel window), you will need a powerful PC, a video capture device (Elgato or others) and... Excel (>2010)

(Pictures are clearly photomontages, with the scope of showing lot of things in few pictures. Reality still offers the same image quality)

> TOP LEFT: laps, race standings, nick, car color, gap from 1st, last lap times, difference between actual and starting grid position, car number, gap from previous driver at sector change (white label), best time in qualifying sessions (alternately time & gap), driver stopped along the track signaling (!!!), driver at BOX signaling, driver DISconnected signaling, driver RETired signaling, overtake signaling
    > TOP RIGHT: best lap
    > CENTER RIGHT: race pace
    > BOTTOM LEFT: driver's card
    > BOTTOM CENTER: "currently watching" area with various infos about the driver (real name, team name, country flag, last lap, best lap, championship position and points, race number, race position)
    > BOTTOM CENTER: scrolling text with ranking positions and gap between drivers
    > BOTTOM RIGHT: sector times comparison (2 or 3 drivers), lap times comparison (2 or 3 drivers), last 4 laps gap between 2 drivers

While broadcasting you will work on a single Excel sheet which has a big black area (where data will appear) surrounded by a grey area with commands.

When pushing the <START> button, the app (it is not an app... but it is easier to call it in this way ) will receive game data looking for packet type 1 with driver names inside.
    After receiving these infos, the black area will always show in the top left area actual race/qualify standings.
    There is an automatic routine to fix the starting grid but you may need, for some reasons (non automatic positioning lap), to fix by yourself: click on <Fix start GRID>. A short text will confirm you which lap the grid was fixed (lap "0" means automatic fixing at the race start).
    During time sessions (qualifying, warm-up, etc...) there will be only the best time for each driver. During race sessions it will be shown most of the time the gap from the 1st driver, for each driver (starting from lap 3).
    Sometimes it will be shown the comparison with starting grid or last lap times, less often car numbers and championship points updated. Of course these types of data are not coming from the game: you will have another sheet where to insert them... if you want. Each of these outputs can be enabled/disabled by <GRID> <NUMBERS> <CHAMP> buttons with led status. All the top left area can be enabled/disabled (except white cells) by <TOP LEFT> button with led status. Top left area can show only rank position and driver's nick: to enable/disable this limitation use <Only NICKs> button with led status.
    If a driver overcomes another driver, it will be highlighted with a green led on the left side (red led for the other one).
    If a driver disconnets, he will be described with "DSC" text on the right side. Sometimes disconnections have a bad influence on the code... sometimes you can have double names or the wrong name hilighted as disconnected: wait 10 seconds, refresh the screen and, if things are still not OK, you can disable disconnection highlighting using the <En/Dis DISC.> button with led status.
    If a driver has more than 5 laps gap from the 1st, and his position is not changing on the track, he will be described with "DNF" text on the right side.
    If a new fastest lap will come, it will be shown in the top right area (automatically)
    Gap between drivers is calculated at each of 3 sectors.
    Sometimes you will see 3 dots instead of time/gap values: this is because the value to show has no meaning (usually when a driver ends a lap, his gap from the 1st can be higher than the gap of the next driver, if they are both slower than the 1st. In this case I choosed to show "..." instead of gaps in a not correct descending order).
    You can enable/disable the "Current watching" area, bottom center of the screen, with various informations about the viewed driver. Some data taken from the game (race position, last lap, best lap, car category), some optional from your personal database (real name, team name, country flag, championship position and points, race number) appearing pseudo-randomly.

With the bottom area you can work in manual or automatic mode.

MANUAL MODE: you can choose to show sector times comparison (enabled with <SECTORS> button) or lap times comparison (enabled with <LAP TIMES> button) for 2 or 3 drivers. To choose which driver to show you have to click on bottom left orange numbered buttons. Actually only the first 10 drivers will be considered.
    Pressing <OFF> button will erase bottom right area with time comparisons (if not, data will stay on the screen; there is no timed view in manual mode).
    As a streamer, I'm assuming that you retired from the race.
    When you show a drivers in your video, the app checks if data are ready for showing the driver infocard (race position, real name, driver picture, car picture) and warns you if they are ready (at least one picture) with a green led: to show the card click on <Driver/Car> button. The card will appear and disappear after 10 seconds.
    Same story for the graph showing the gap trend over the last 4 laps between selected driver and the previous one in rankings, and for the race pace over last 10 laps. When you have the green led, click on <4 LAPS> or <R. PACE> buttons respectively.

AUTOMATIC MODE: enabled with <AUTO VIEW> button. You can watch the race on your console and comment it.... all the rest will be done automatically. Lap comparison, sector comparison, driver card, 4 laps graph, race pace will be shown in a pseudo-random mode. Still you will be able to force some features (cards, graphs and race pace), without moving to manual mode, if data will be ready. If you press another manual command you will switch the mode to manual.
    In this mode the selected driver will be highlighted by a yellow arrow on the right side and sometimes you can also view the gap from previous driver (white label) at the end of sector 1 and 2.
    You can enable/disable automatic appearing on the screen of: Race PACE, GRID positions difference, CHAMPionship points, race NUMBERS, sector DELAY (GAP), SCROLling TEXT, entire TOP LEFT area. Even graphics can be enabled/disabled with En/Dis DRV. for driver infocard with text, En/Dis CAR for driver infocard with car picture, En/Dis 4LAPS for gap trend.

NOTE:

ORANGE buttons are used for manual commands
    LIGHT ORANGE buttons are used to start actions working bot in manual or automatic mode ("one shot")
    BLUE commands are used to enable/disable features, typically in automatic mode
    GREEN commands (on the bottom part of the screen) are used for special actions related with screen setup or refresh

I limited the number of drivers to 16 (console limit for online races).
    The app can recognize you as a streamer (you and all other commentators) without showing in the race rankings. The ranking area will adapt automatically to the number of racing drivers (except commentators) or not racing (disconnections memory)..
    If things are disappearing from the screen too fast (except cards, graphs and race pace data; they disappear always after 10 seconds), you can change the delay by setting the "clock". Bigger value means bigger delay. Enter the desired value under <Clock (ms)> label before pushing <START>.
    App shows driver's data after few seconds you select the driver in game (via pad): you can set this value entering it under <Autoview delay (s)> label before pushing <START>.
    Due to asynchronous appearing and disappearing of things on the screen, it can happen that some cell is coloured of filled with data when it should be not. If it happens you can <REFRESH Screen> to go back to normal view.
    I tested this app with PS4 (UTF-8 data decoding method found) but I was not able to test with XBOX or PC (Cp1252 data decoding method ignored, used ASCII standard). You can select your console type entering the value "PS4" (if you have a PS4) or something else, not important what (if you use PC or XBOX), under <Console> label before pushing <START>.

App will record in the sheet called race "REPORT" for each driver Name, Best Lap, Starting grid position, and for each lap Position, Laps completed, Gap from 1st, Last lap time. Maximum 100 laps. The sheet will be automatically erased at the beginning of the race so... remember to save it (if you need old data) before starting a new race!

NEW FEATURES:
    Drivers lists: drivers racing, actual race ranking, championship ranking

During my tests I was able to reach 1/10s precision in timings (data calculated by app, not coming from the game) so I suggest to set UDP streaming to 5 (50ms) or 6 on your console.

DO NOT FORGET that this is Excel !!! It has his rules.
    Do NOT change worksheet during data receiving... push <STOP> before if you have to change something.
    Do NOT write something on the worksheet during data receiving (in Excel, editing mode stops the execution of the code. You can erase some cells but not write into them)
    All these actions will cause the crash of Excel or at least, damage to the Excel file.

I tested this file on Excel 2010 and Excel 2013, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, italian and english language but only italian localization: this means that I don't know what will happen... maybe some problem with language or with number format (even if did not used formatted time, only strings). Hope not.

RAR file attached comes with 4 folders for pictures: DRIVERS, FLAGS, CARS, LOGOS.
    Excel file and picture folders must stay in the same folder (C:\BAX\ or the one you choosed)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Chawabax; 03-03-2017 at 06:52.
    The following 10 users likes this Post: Arhok, beetes_juice, BulletEyeDK, Fight-Test, Nutzi, OBigO, OddTimer, Pyromaniak666, TonyR, Zalex

Platform
    PS4
    INSTALLATION

Of course you don't have to install the Excel file. But you have to "install" the DLL used by Excel to read UDP data (you have to follow this procedure only once, no matter wich version of the Excel file you will use in the future)

1) Check if Microsoft Framework 4.0 is installed on your PC
    2) Check if the folder C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v4.0.30319 exists (it can be an hidden folder)
    3) Create a folder (not inside \system32\ or similar Windows special folders) and copy there ClassTest4Excel.dll + ClassTest4Excel.tlb files. Let say you created C:\BAX

Now, If you want, you can
    4) run as administrator the batch file Register DLL in BAX.BAT included in the ZIP file (useful only if you created then folder C:\BAX).

if not, do manually:
    5) Open as administrator the Command Prompt
    6) use the command: CD C:\BAX\ and press ENTER
    7) use the command: C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v4.0.30319\RegAsm ClassTest4Excel.dll /tlb:ClassTest4Excel.tlb /registered /codebase and press ENTER

8) check if the response is "...library was registered successfully"

When DLL is succesfully registered, you have to add the DLL as a reference of Excel.
    Open the Excel file, enable macros if requested.

9) choose the "DEVELOPER" menu and the click on "VIEW CODE": VBA coding page will open.
    10) if you don't see the Developer menu, choose the "VIEW" menu and then click on "MACROS", choose one of the Macros and click "EDIT": VBA coding page will open.

11) choose the "TOOLS" menu and then choose "REFERENCES" item.
    12) scroll down the References list till you will find "ClassTest4Excel": check it and press "OK"

13) close the VBA coding page.
    Done

SETUP streaming software (XSPLIT)

I'm assuming you know how to use this streaming software.
    Basically you have to add Excel window to a Xsplit scene, layered upon the video of the gameplay, filtered by black color to mask the black background.
    0) create a new scene in Xsplit with the game video source, fully sized in the Xsplit window
    1) open the Excel file not at full screen, only black area and commands should be visible. This is because you need free space on the screen for Xsplit view (reduced). Set the ZOOM of the Excel worksheet as you wish (100% or 110% is good for me, not to see "####" instead of numbers. Higher zoom values means higher resolution).
    2) add Excel window to the same scene (you will see a white area)
    3) select "Exclusive window capture" option
    4) deselect "view mouse"
    5) crop the window till you will see only the black area
    6) in the color menu choose "Color key" option and set the threshold (T) to 10 and all other values to 0 "zero" (Exposure, Red, Green, Blu)
    7) resize the window as you wish (a good resizing is shown in previous post pictures)

If you want/need to change the black area aspect ratio in Excel (since it is not possible to do this in Xsplit, only proportional changes are allowed) change dimensional properties of areas not used by graphics: change the width of column "H" and then check if it fits your expectations on the xsplit display. Changing the dimension of other columns or rows can bring to a bad appearance of some element on the screen.
    I suggest to rename the Excel file (different releases) always with the same name to let Xsplit recognize it by name. If not you will have to set again all parameters when using new app release.
    The final appearance should be something like this (this is good to have both Excel and Xsplit visible on the screen)

SETUP streaming software (OBS Studio)

I'm assuming you know how to use this streaming software.
    Basically you have to add a capture of the entire display (with inside the Excel window) to a OBS scene, layered upon the video of the gameplay, filtered by black color to mask the black background.
    Unfortunately I found that both OBS Classic and OBS Studio can not capture correctly an Excel window, but OBS Studio can capture the display in a good way (OBS Classic shows the Excel window as a white area).
    0) open the Excel file not at full screen, only black area and commands should be visible. This is because you need free space on the screen for OBS view (reduced). Set the ZOOM of the Excel worksheet as you wish (100% or 110% is good for me. Higher zoom values means higher resolution).
    1) add a Display Capture to the scene
    2) deselect "Capture Cursor"
    3) crop the window till you will see only the black area (right click on the capture window, choose "Transform" --> "Edit Transform")
    4) add a black color key mask (right click on the capture window, choose "Filter" --> "Key Color" --> "Key Color Type" = Custom Color --> "Select Color" = choose pure black --> set "Similarity"=10 and "Smoothness"=10)
    5) resize the window as you wish (a good resizing is shown in previous post pictures)
    OBS does not allow you to resize as you wish his window so you can have some problem showing in the same screen both Excel and OBS windows without overlapping. Better to work with 2 screens in "extended" mode: main screen for Excel, extended for OBS.

SETUP personal driver database (optional)
    You can stream without adding extra infos about drivers and championship: the app will assign a grey color to every driver and the nick will consist of the first 3 characters of the PSN ID.
    For each driver (actually max 100) you can specify:

ID: sequential number (don't write a number without driver infos)
    NAME: PSN ID
    NICK: 3 characters to show in the top left ranking area. "XXX" value identfies the streamer or commentators... people in the race room that don't want to be visible in the race standings.
    Real Name: real name of the driver or forum nick name... as you wish. Will be visible only on driver card
    N.: car number (better in the form "#nn" as a string)
    C.: car color (use Excel background colors). Don't choose BLACK color because will be masked by your streaming software
    R-G-B: ignore them (old color-identification method)
    Pts: points in the championship standings
    Champ: position in the championship standings
    Flag: country flag of the driver following standard ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 (in the Flags folder you will find approx 50 flags)
    Infos: forum nickname or car model... as you wish.
    Picture: the driver picture filename (name + extension). App will look for this picture only in the "DRIVERS" folder. Picture can be PNG with transparent background, JPG with black or other color background. To get a good visual outcome, picture proportions should be 1:1 (es. 240x240, 320x320, no matter how big). IMPORTANT: this Excel file can not simply erase the picture, it can only load a different one. So, if you don't have the picture for one driver, you have to load a "NULL" picture. You can use NNN.png which is a 240x240 PNG file completely transparent. I added this file to the ZIP. Of course you can use a different picture... but it must be a picture.
    Car Picture: the car picture filename (name + extension). App will look for this picture only in the "CARS" folder. Picture can be PNG with transparent background (better), JPG with black or other color background. To get a good visual outcome, picture proportions should be 2:1 (es. 256x128, 512x256, no matter how big). IMPORTANT: this Excel file can not simply erase the picture, it can only load a different one. So, if you don't have the picture for one car, you have to load a "NULL" picture. You can use C_NNN.png which is a 180x240 PNG file completely transparent. I added this file to the ZIP. Of course you can use a different picture... but it must be a picture.
    IMPORTANT: There is a simple error checking control on picture files: if file doesn't exist you will not have an error but the last loaded picture will be visible.

SETUP Excel file before starting streaming
    Excel offers you useful features but it has some limitations, expecially connected with graphic add-ons and CPU consuming activities.

I found that changing the text font (type, bold or not) consumes a lot of CPU cycles, while changing text or color will not. So app will set only few parameters. If you change by yourself cell's font type, it will remain the same. Same for some cell text color (typically white labels).

I found that creating new graphs or cards is high CPU consuming so I decided to have one for each type and to move it left (when I want to show it) or right (when I want to hide it). The problem is that there is no way, or I did not found it, to know or to set the actual position of these graphic objects: you can set the sliding value but not the final position.
    IMPORTANT
    So I decided to work in this way: user must put manually graphic objects in their initial position (infocard on the left side of the visible screen, trend graphic on the right side, as in previous pictures) before starting processing game data. After pushing <START> button, these 2 objects will be automatically moved on the right in the hidden area, and moved left to the visible area only when needed.
    You can move them manually by pressing <CAR. LEFT>, <CAR RIGHT> or <4LAPS LEFT>,<4LAPS RIGHT> if you forgot to do it in the correct way before starting. But... if you move left manually them to the visible area, data shown will be not related to the selected driver because graphic objects update their data only when correctly called by pressing <Driver/CAR> or <4 LAPS> buttons.

I found that graphic trend is really high CPU consuming when visible on the screen: it can drop down update rate 10 times !! So call it not so often and be sure that it is not visible on the screen when parked in the "hidden" area: you can solve this having Excel window not in extended mode on the screen.

Not able to scroll text always at the same speed: it depends a lot on other activities. Had to hide it when trend graphic is visible.
    Last edited by Chawabax; 03-07-2016 at 09:17.
    The following 4 users likes this Post: Fight-Test, KOW-alski, Nutzi, OddTimer

Platform
    PS4
    TIPS & TRICKS

INSTANT REPLAY
    You can show an "instant replay" using Xsplit even if Xsplit is not offering you this option.
    The method is this:

1) add a small window showing a web browser, layered in front of other layers, hidden.
    2) link the web browser to your streaming (Youtube if you are streaming on Youtube, others if not), crop the window to show only the video area, not the entire web page.
    3) set Xsplit to delay 30s your streaming

This means that what you will watch on Youtube already happened 30s before (+ standard Xsplit delay + standard Youtube delay, few seconds usually... lets say 5s)
    If you stream at the same time you live video + your Youtube streaming you will have on the same screen 2 different actions on the timeline

4) when something interesting happens (crashes or overtakes) start counting 30s
    5) after 30s enable the hidden R-window: it will show the replay. It will show what happened 30s before... so... for the viewer it is like a replay.
    6) before other 30s seconds passed disable the R-window. If not, you will see on the screen the replay of the replay (like in Pink Floyd - Ummagumma LP cover )

This picture gives you an idea of what I mean. Picture taken from a similar app for F1 game.

NOTE: you have to decrease to zero the volume of the web page video. If not you will have 2 different audio streams and it is not a good thing . This option is available only for Xsplit V2.7->
    NOTE: of course Xsplit will use more CPU cycles because of dealing with 2 different video sources. You don't need a high resolution for Youtube replay window because this will be a small window: 360 is enough

This is the GIF I did for the REPLAY window

AVOID FIXED INTERNAL VIEW FOR THE STREAMER
    Fixed internal view in spectator mode if fixed for all other drivers (PS4 race room setup)
    I found a workaround for this... tested on PS4... maybe well known to you but not to me
    The streamer has to enter in the race room when the session already started (qualifying or warm-up), his view will be not-locked 99%. If still locked, exit and enter again.
    Be careful: enter in the session as soon as possible to avoid typical lag

CAR LIVERIES
    Some car liveries to use during live streams, ordered by race number, PNG with transparent background, 2 file format (big approx. 1000x500, small 256x128), pictures on Google Drive.
    The 256x128 PNG file format is absolutely good for the Excel file (ratio 2:1 and optimized quality even for 1080p streaming)

Mercedes SLS AMG GT3
    Mercedes 2015 AMG GT3
    Aston Martin Vantage V12 GT3
    BMW Z4 GT3
    RUF RGT8 GT3
    Audi R8 LMS Ultra (GT3)
    Ginetta G55 GT3
    McLaren 12C GT3
    Lotus 78
    Renault Formula 3.5
    Renault RS 01
    Renault Clio Cup
    RWD P30 LMP1
    Other LMP1 (AudiR18)
    Other LMP2 (Alpine)
    Last edited by Chawabax; 02-08-2016 at 06:57.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: OddTimer, Ryzza5

Platform
    PS4
    UPDATE

After some more online/offline test I solved some bugs and added some features / improvements:

-) top left driver ranking area adapts automatically to the number of drivers in the race (no more "Drivers to show" parameter)
    -) app remembers who disconnected and shows these drivers in the last positions of the ranking with "DIS" text
    -) improved "FIX start grid" procedure; added text showing which lap the grid was fixed (auto or manual)
    -) top left area will show randomly the list of last lap times
    -) RACE PACE: during the race you can show the race pace of the selected driver (center right area) for the last 10 laps for 10s. One shot command
    -) SCROLLING TEXT: you can enable/disable a scrolling text (center bottom area) showing the gap between drivers (the gap between the viewed driver and the 1st in the rank is shown top left)
    -) you can enable/disable the view of top left ranking area (if disabled, only laps "n/nn" text remains)
    -) RACE REPORT: there is a new sheet where the app is writing for each lap, for each driver: Position, Laps completed, Gap from 1st, Last lap time
    -) added the chance to set the "on delay timer" in automatic mode: when you show a driver on the video, app will show data about him after few seconds (now you can choose how many)
    -) changed color and disposition of some button
    Last edited by Chawabax; 20-05-2016 at 22:20.
    The following user likes this Post: OddTimer

Platform
    PS4
    Finally uploaded version V34 with previously listed changes

(added in the first post)

Platform
    XBOX1
    First time I have seen this thread and the concept is brilliant. I will gave a play with it and add to the pc cars resorces thread

Oh and there is an apps thread somewhere you should list in that and get sms to add you to the website page for apps
    Pcars Resources for All Platforms
    Xbox| Playseat® Alcantara| Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2, Wheel Rim GT, Pedals V3 ,Shifter SQ |

The following user likes this Post: Chawabax

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebagbud View Post
    ... there is an apps thread somewhere you should list in that and get sms to add you to the website page for apps
    I'm waiting for some feedback from "non italian" users and from XBOX users

Platform
    PS4
    UPDATE 41r

-) Fixed a bug with gap graphic trend not showing correct data (lap number)
    -) Fixed a bug with best laptime... not showing at all
    -) added gap view during qualify sessions (alternate to time view)
    -) added a new driver infocard with car picture (maybe excessive but... it is an option)
    -) improved signaling of a driver temporary stopped along the track

You can download the file from the first post of this topic

Platform
    PS4
    GREAT !!

I was able to make it work even with OBS... with some limitations

1) OBS Studio is able to capture correctly the screen with Excel window inside (not Excel itself as a window) while OBS Classic is not able to do it (white area)
    2) due to the facts that you can not reduce too much the width of OBS window, Excel is showing correctly texts when zoom >= 100%, both windows must stay on the same screen without overlapping.... it is better to work with 2 screens in "extended mode", the main one for Excel, the extension for OBS

Platform
    PS4
    I wanted something to cover camera buttons, down in the center screen

I know... not original

Now trying to record race data, to re-edit race videos if not possible to stream them live
    The following user likes this Post: Michel--NL