Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: HTC Vive Discussion

Platform
    PC
    That is clearly a strange behavior.
    Just check at my rig specification and the settings I use in VR (everything is in my sign). Granted that I play at 45fps through reprojection and not 90fps (could reach it on half of Spa track if I disable AA even with opponents).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p23QciB89Y

If, added to that, your settings are all at low/off with only a few opponents ... that is even more strange. I would expect to disable crowds in the "Virtual Reality" options, maybe set the track details and shadows to low, but everything ... that's a bit harsh.
    Did you disabled reprojection in the SteamVR settings ? Reprojection is not ideal, but at least, it prevent stuttering while briefly going under 90 fps.
    OS: Win10 x64 | CPU: i5 4690K OC@4.2GHz | GPU: Zotac RTX 2080 AMP | RAM: 16GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 | Controller: Logitech G25 + Nixim mod v2 (brake) | Display: Pimax 5K+ VR headset | Sound: Virtual 7.1 Headset | Launch options: none

Platform
    PC
    No, I've not disabled reprojection (it's enabled but not forced - the default settings). I wondered if there was something fishy about my gfx driver install (I had an AMD card in there before and just uninstalled the AMD software, swapped the card and installed the Nvidia software), but other stuff doesn't seem to be underperforming, just pcars. I'm using Windows 7 (luddite...) but surely it wouldn't make that much difference.

If I keep my head perfectly still the judder is almost bearable, but any head movement is awful.

I've done the usual stuff - deleted the .xml files in the pcars my-documents folder, reset my gfx driver settings to 'default', rebooted, and generally done a fairly complete 'farting about' exercise but to no avail.

I'll try again tonight but having to restart the game between settings changes makes it a very dull exercise when I just want to enjoy my new toy.

Not measured GPU and CPU usage - probably should. IIRC the CPU is at 'default' but if there's an overclock set up in the bios I'll remove it
    Crew Chief details here http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...r-for-PC-users
    Website, download link and forum: http://thecrewchief.org
    Or make a donation, if you think the chief needs to drink more beer:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=LW33XFXP4DPZE

Platform
    PC
    Mine is overclocked as far as I could without voltage modification.

You could indeed monitor the GPU/CPU usage, and also the framerate (need to have the mirrored image displayed so no -vrnomirror launch option).
    Maybe you're extremely sensible and reprojection is not enough for you, but from what you described, that seemed too far fetched.

It would greatly help if someone with a 1080 could share his settings and the performances he gets with it, in order to compare.
    OS: Win10 x64 | CPU: i5 4690K OC@4.2GHz | GPU: Zotac RTX 2080 AMP | RAM: 16GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 | Controller: Logitech G25 + Nixim mod v2 (brake) | Display: Pimax 5K+ VR headset | Sound: Virtual 7.1 Headset | Launch options: none

Platform
    PC
    Yeah, I'll do some monitoring and see what's happening to the mirrored image on the monitor. The judder isn't minor, it's a bit like being at a rave in the 80s with all the strobe lighting. And less pills.

Platform
    PC
    I thought I would take a minute and share my setting for VR using Vive, since I have the minimal recommended hardware (at least the GPU).

I find the VR very immersive and therefore I'm willing to put up with lower image quality, but for the most part I find these setting to be very acceptable. The slight exception is when first starting a race with 19 racers (that just the number I've used for testing) the screen does shutter, but once the cars start spreading out, the shuttering goes away.

I do raise the anti-aliasing from DS2X to DS4X when doing time trails, since there are no other cars... Oh, I have never recorded the frame rates but I'm sure re-projection is being used at these settings (aka 45 fps).

Attachment 234733Attachment 234734Attachment 234735Attachment 234736Attachment 234737Attachment 234738
    i7-8700K | RTX 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR4 | Asus Maximus Hero | Custom Cooling Loop | 1 TB Samsung 970 NVMe | PSU 850W | Windows 10 Pro
    Fanatec DD2 Base V3 Pedals | HTC Vive Pro | GT Omega Pro | (2) NU1000DSP | (4) Buttkicker mini LFE | SimVibe

Platform
    PC
    Maybe I will give a try to pthreads 4 and dx11mt (I thought it was the default mode in64bit) because that's not settings I can use to race with opponents (neither at the start nor during the rest of the race).

EDIT : if you want one day to look at your framerate with fraps or afterburner, you will have to remove the -vrnomirror launch options).

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadows View Post
    EDIT : if you want one day to look at your framerate with fraps or afterburner, you will have to remove the -vrnomirror launch options).
    Right. I was somewhat surprised how much removing the mirrored monitor had on performance. Also, to a lesser extent, disabling my other monitors.

Hopefully, someone with a top end system with a GTX 1080 can post their complete settings too. It would be interesting to compare.
    i7-8700K | RTX 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR4 | Asus Maximus Hero | Custom Cooling Loop | 1 TB Samsung 970 NVMe | PSU 850W | Windows 10 Pro
    Fanatec DD2 Base V3 Pedals | HTC Vive Pro | GT Omega Pro | (2) NU1000DSP | (4) Buttkicker mini LFE | SimVibe

Platform
    PC
    I'll try the -vrnomirror option.

Weirdly I see CPU and GPU usage around 70 -80 % even when it's stuttering like mad

[edit] - Muddy, I'll post my settings if / when I get it working properly. I'm going to spend a bit of time chasing down system problems (PSU, PCI-e settings, power settings, etc) and maybe even bite the bullet and install Windows 10. In the mean time, I'm able to get it to run smoothly only if I run everything at 'low' or 'off', with no more than DSx2 anti-aliasing (i5 4690 / GTX 1080)
    Last edited by mr_belowski; 30-06-2016 at 08:22.

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyPaws73 View Post
    Right. I was somewhat surprised how much removing the mirrored monitor had on performance. Also, to a lesser extent, disabling my other monitors.

Hopefully, someone with a top end system with a GTX 1080 can post their complete settings too. It would be interesting to compare.
    I've just set mine up the same as the above screenshots with the following results on Laguna Seca with 20 cars during the day

- I can hold 45fps, but don't get anywhere near 90fps

- If I turn down Environment Map, Car Detail, Track Detail and Shadows to Low then I can almost get to 90fps. This is how I'll generally play with reprojection turned on, as it gives me a smooth 45fps off the start line, then once the pack thins out a bit it goes up to 90fps.

Interestingly I tried with DS2X in game, or 1.5 "renderTargetMultiplier" and both gave pretty much the same frame rate. I think I preferred the "renderTargetMultiplier" as the image seemed less blurry though a little more pixellated.
    CPU: Core i7 6700K @4.5Ghz | RAM: 16GB | GPU: GTX 1080 | OS: Win 10 x64 | Screen: Vive | Wheel: G27

Platform
    PC
    Is there something wrong with -vrnomirror launch options ?

I decided to to a little "benchmark" (-ish) in order to evaluate the impact on performance of that option, but the result is not what I expected, no matter how many times I tried. Maybe someone will see an issue with my methodology, if that's so, don't hesitate to tell.

First, I used SteamVR frame timing (see SteamVR settings) logfile to extract the frame time and convert it to framerate (based on the "TotalRenderGpuMs" column).
    Then I did the same event using 4 different settings (the windowed/fullscreen option is the one from the Virtual Reality menu):
    - vrnomirror + window mode
    - vrnomirror + fullscreen
    - windowed mode
    - fullscreen

The event was 1 lap race at Spa, heavy cloud weather, 19 opponents with player starting last. The visual settings were just as described in my sign.
    Although I couldn't reproduce the exact same race each time (obviously), I tried to behave the same way.

Strangely, and despite many attempt and switch, the results are the same, the -vrnomirror launch options offer lower framerate than when the mirror is displayed (and the stuttering felt heavier during gameplay).

The difference between fullscreen and windowed seems negligible (and probably due to the difference between both races), but the gap between the race where the mirrored image was displayed, and the one where it was not is huged and cannot be explained only with that (especially for the time spent on the grid where the scenario shouldn't be any different).

As I said earlier, maybe my methodology is wrong, but I can confirm that, while playing and reprojection active, the -vrnomirror cannot substain 45fps at all time (stutter on the grid), while I can't see any obvious stuttering when I let the mirror image displayed.

Next time, I will try to evaluate the impact of -dx11mt and -pthread 4 on my hardware configuration
    Last edited by Schadows; 19-07-2016 at 19:58. Reason: prettier chart
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Mark Bevan, TheIronWolf