Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: HTC Vive Discussion

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorAustin View Post
    I see there were a few drops that were masked cleverly by the software, but most of the time pinned at 75.
    I don't understand. when you talked about "masked cleverly by the software" I though you were talking about retroprojection, but after that, you talk about 75 (which I assumed is in "frame per second") which cannot be reached with retroprojection (either 90 or 45 fps if i remember correctly).
    Is there another software which can enable a similar functionality at different frame rate?
    OS: Win10 x64 | CPU: i5 4690K OC@4.2GHz | GPU: Zotac RTX 2080 AMP | RAM: 16GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 | Controller: Logitech G25 + Nixim mod v2 (brake) | Display: Pimax 5K+ VR headset | Sound: Virtual 7.1 Headset | Launch options: none

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorAustin View Post
    I'm running with AA at DS4X, shadows high and get very little shimmering (although I think I'm lucky and a little 'immune' to it) and get no noticeable slowdowns in almost any conditions. Sometimes when I look at afterburner after a race I see there were a few drops that were masked cleverly by the software, but most of the time pinned at 75. If I needed 90 I would expect to have to turn a couple of settings down a little, but not much.
    At least from what I've seen on my 780 ti, there's a not-so-insignificant jump in hardware requirements to hit 90fps at 2160x1200, from the 1080p @ 75fps on the DK2. I can't even Time Trial with clear weather if I have AA enabled, regardless of texture or model detail settings and consistently hit 90fps. It's not just people whinging about settings or expectations.

FWIW, I was running DS2X and everything on High and able to do races with 30 cars in the rain on my DK2. No longer with the Vive.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadows View Post
    I don't understand. when you talked about "masked cleverly by the software" I though you were talking about retroprojection, but after that, you talk about 75 (which I assumed is in "frame per second") which cannot be reached with retroprojection (either 90 or 45 fps if i remember correctly).
    Is there another software which can enable a similar functionality at different frame rate?
    I think Trevor's on a DK2, not a Vive, so the target frame rate is 75fps, and Oculus' ATW magic seems to be better at masking frame-rate dips than the reprojection SteamVR uses by default.
    i7 5820k @ 3.8 | EVGA GTX780Ti | MSI X99 SLI Plus | 16GB DDR4@2400 | EVGA 750 W | W10 x64 | Thrustmaster T300 | HTC Vive
    The following user likes this Post: stitchbob

Platform
    PC
    Unfortunately, I can't really compare. I don't see a problem with Vive retroprojection (doesn't mean other people won't), and my only test of a CV1 with ATW wasn't that long
    and took place 2 months ago (and I didn't spend much time with pcars at that time since the owner didn't had a wheel to play with).
    OS: Win10 x64 | CPU: i5 4690K OC@4.2GHz | GPU: Zotac RTX 2080 AMP | RAM: 16GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 | Controller: Logitech G25 + Nixim mod v2 (brake) | Display: Pimax 5K+ VR headset | Sound: Virtual 7.1 Headset | Launch options: none

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadows View Post
    what other vive game are you referring to? I'm starting to have some games too, but haven't seen such slider yet.
    I must admit having gone to look for them, the only one I could find is "The Solus Project". I'm sure there were others, but I've no idea what!

Is increasing the core resolution something that could work for us here? It might be a better solution than AA perhaps?
    CPU: Core i7 6700K @4.5Ghz | RAM: 16GB | GPU: GTX 1080 | OS: Win 10 x64 | Screen: Vive | Wheel: G27

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
    At least from what I've seen on my 780 ti, there's a not-so-insignificant jump in hardware requirements to hit 90fps at 2160x1200, from the 1080p @ 75fps on the DK2. I can't even Time Trial with clear weather if I have AA enabled, regardless of texture or model detail settings and consistently hit 90fps. It's not just people whinging about settings or expectations.

FWIW, I was running DS2X and everything on High and able to do races with 30 cars in the rain on my DK2. No longer with the Vive.
    Agreed, by my calculations it's over 50% more taxing to run on a Vive than a DK2 (30% more pixels running at 20% higher frame rate.)
    CPU: Core i7 6700K @4.5Ghz | RAM: 16GB | GPU: GTX 1080 | OS: Win 10 x64 | Screen: Vive | Wheel: G27

Platform
    PC
    So 56% (1.3 * 1.2) ^^

I read in Valve press release a couple of days ago, when they released the source from The Lab on unity, that they adapt the visual settings dynamically depending on the system performances (kind of what Forza 6 is capable too on PC).
    Might also be a good way to do it, especially for racing game where it is difficult to forsee how bad the screen will be filled with details and cars.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I've found playing with weather settings the most effective way of hiding aliasing shimmer. Heavy cloud seemed to cut the worst of it out on fences (and dare I say it looks more cinematic than a clear day too).

Also if you've not, try a night race on the Scottish road track with an open wheel class without headlights such as formula C. THE most immersive experience I've had in project cars. The fall off into dark hides any limit by the HMD fov, and the reflections off the car on street lights are stunning and very convincing.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I did try an online game last night with rain, night and 20+ racers at the green hell with Ariel Atom 500 V8.

Was really nice but after the third lap I started feeling the motion sickness...
    I think it got a lot worse every time I got to the banked turns, and also when I went into and out from the pitstop!
    That automatic driving is hell. We need manual pit stop for VR!

Maybe it was low framerate too, I didn't check. But I didn't see any ghosting.
    I'll see how it goes in clear weather next time.
    System: Win 10 x64, i5 3570K @4.2GHz, Asus P8Z77-V Pro, 16GB DDR3 ram, MSI GTX 970 4GB Gaming edition, HTC Vive, T500rs with GTE wheel + Ferrari F1 wheel + TH8A shifter + playseat
    Settings: All on lowest in hardware except Texture stuff on max.
    Launch options: -dx11mt -pthreads 4 -skipcrowds -vrnomirror

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I find this nauseating in the vive.

2 of my friends are the same.

Not sure what it is about it, and have no other racing game to compare it to.

Platform
    PC
    I have one friend who also felt nauseous as soon as the car started moving, while the other only found the experience strange, and me being perfectly fine with it.

I supposed it was related to the fact that, in contrary to all the technical demo and conceptual games, pcars was the only experience I tried where you don't conscientiously move, but are "being moved" instead. And since your body doesn't feel the Gs and any vibrations you can see in the helmet, this might make sensible people nauseous.

But people here also emitted the hypothesis that it was related to the framerate. Not mater how low I set up the game (and obviously disabling all background processes like antivirus or even shadowplay recording), I cannot maintain the framerate above the required 90 fps. Most of the time (99% truth to be told) reprojection kicks in, and the game run at 45fps.
    And since it's the only ambitious game I have in VR, with every other having no pain to reach the 90fps without repro, I can't say for sure either.

Thankfully, I have no problem playing even with reprojection.