Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HTC Vive Discussion

Platform
    PC
    Indeed, you will need one of the controllers to be active to interact with the Steam dashboard.
    I have left the Vive in room scale mode while playing pcars and it worked fine. I will try with standing mode next time
    OS: Win10 x64 | CPU: i5 4690K OC@4.2GHz | GPU: Zotac RTX 2080 AMP | RAM: 16GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 | Controller: Logitech G25 + Nixim mod v2 (brake) | Display: Pimax 5K+ VR headset | Sound: Virtual 7.1 Headset | Launch options: none

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I've been running PCars via Revive recently which worked well, though everything on Low. Now the patch is out, could Revive be getting in the way of a better experience and should I remove it?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by speedMATS View Post
    I've been running PCars via Revive recently which worked well, though everything on Low. Now the patch is out, could Revive be getting in the way of a better experience and should I remove it?

Cheers in advance for any advice.
    I removed the three files that came with the revive solution and then ran an integrity check before launching the game. As seems to be working perfectly for me without deleting the XML files.
    Intel i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO | 16GB 2133MHz | GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 500GB SSD
    Fanatec CSW V2 w/CSP v 3.00 | Leo Bodnar SLI-PRO | Iiyama 40" ProLite X4071UHSU-B1 4k LED | HTC Vive

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by PzR Slim View Post
    I removed the three files that came with the revive solution and then ran an integrity check before launching the game. As seems to be working perfectly for me without deleting the XML files.
    Good shout. Ill try that tonight and see the outcome.

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadows View Post
    Indeed, you will need one of the controllers to be active to interact with the Steam dashboard.
    I have left the Vive in room scale mode while playing pcars and it worked fine. I will try with standing mode next time
    Thanks for the replies mate. It's all working fine now that I'm launching through the HMD. After looking into it further I found that vrdashboard was not starting so I couldn't launch through headset. I started it (directly) and it's now fine.
    My room scale setup is in a different room, otherwise I'd leave it as it is.
    One issue is that if my wheel (Fanatec CSW) is on then I cannot select anything in VR dashboard using the Vive controller so I have to turn the wheel off, start the game and then turn my wheel on again..rather frustrating when wanting to have the Vive on
    Intel i7-6700K CPU @ 4.40GHz/Asus Z170 Pro Gaming mobo/16GB DDR4/GTX 1080ti 11GB/W10
    Control - SimXperience Accuforce/HE Pro Pedals/CSS SQ/Motion - SimXperience 2dof/Tactile - SimVibe
    Display - 3 x Acer XZ271 monitors/Oculus Rift CV1/Samsung Odyssey WMR/

WMD Member
    One observation (besides the LCD acting like a rear view mirror) : the mirrors are very 2D and don't change when you change your head position.

Platform
    PC
    This looks waaay better than with the Revive patch
    MSI GTX 1080TI 11 GB / Intel Core i7-4790K / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB / MSI Z97 Gaming 5 / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Windows 10 64bit

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Bought the game last night when i saw it had vive support. The experience even on low graphics (have not tried pushing it up) has been amazing.

There have been one or two issues though.

I have watched videos of other people launching game from within vr and a 2d screen comes up immediately within vr showing title screens etc. However for me when i launch from within vr, nothing appears. The image appears back over on the monitor. On returning to the monitor if i skip past the cutscenes and start a free run or any other race from the menu then when i put the headset on the game will be running correctly. additionally, if i quit out of said race i will be returned to steam vr and the 2d plane will be correctly present within vr.

The game seems to forget the setting you choose for whether to recentre the view at the start of races.

Lastly i played a number of races with a friend who also bought the game (not a vr user) , when i tried to set up a lobby the game crashed steam steam vr or vice versa. after that attempting to start the game in vr would crash steam vr. launching it in non vr, then trying to launch it in VR corrected the issue. Of the 5-6 races we played the game only transitioned between races successfully once. On the other occasions the loading bar in the bottom right would not animate and the icon indicating my gaze tracking would not move (though i could move my head fine inside steam vr.

Needless to say, i have no intent to wildly smash my arms around while hyperventilating. It's the first try at vive support so there are bound to be issues. The experience of being in the cockpit is A-fucking- mazing though for someone like me who has never played a car game in vr. Thank you so much for bringing it to the vive. you have probably also sold a gtx 1070 and i want to be able to crank the setting on this up up up to do it justice.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMF View Post
    One observation (besides the LCD acting like a rear view mirror) : the mirrors are very 2D and don't change when you change your head position.
    Do you mean that your mirror image doens't change when you move your head? This is intended. What you see is a small extra screen which shows what you'd see from a certain point mounted to the car. Ray tracing, which would be necessary for creating a life-like mirror most likely would be too heavy on the GPU.
    There's no "I" in "team", but there's a "we" in "weapon".
    --- 5% Club member --- former TGC member and steward --- RSR member --- Steam Name: Mortimer8701 ---
    Gigabyte H77-D3H | Intel Xeon E3-1245v2 (4x3.4GHz) | Inno3D GeForce 970 iChill X4 Air Boss (4GB[-0.5GB]) | 8GB DDR3-1600 | Win 8 Pro x64 | Thrustmaster T500 RS /w F1 rim | HTC Vive
    System Drive: Sandisk Extreme 120GB | Storage drive: WD Green 2TB (pCARS space) | Case: Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus | Power supply: Corsair GS600

TIP: If you post your system details in your signature, you will help make it easier to identify potential hardware/driver related issues.
    To edit your signature, click Control Panel (top right corner) and in your control panel, look under the My Settings header on the left for Edit Signature.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by speedMATS View Post
    I haven't tried with Revive files still present, but that's clearly a bad idea to leave them. SMS developed their vive implementation without any consideration for this. At best, nothing happen, but most probably, their will be conflicts.
    I delete those 3 files, deleted the XML config files (their not part of files integrity check and could still present some conflict with their new VR implementation), and it works fine.

By the way, the Revive rendering was sub-Low. Even at low settings, you don't get that close draw distance and that close LOD switch in the game, so the v11.0 patch is doing miracles here.

Quote Originally Posted by museumsteve View Post
    One issue is that if my wheel (Fanatec CSW) is on then I cannot select anything in VR dashboard using the Vive controller so I have to turn the wheel off, start the game and then turn my wheel on again..rather frustrating when wanting to have the Vive on
    Yes, I raised it earlier, but I have the same problem with my G25 (that and another one about calibration and button mapping edition).

Quote Originally Posted by JAMF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kulinski View Post
    Do you mean that your mirror image doens't change when you move your head? This is intended. What you see is a small extra screen which shows what you'd see from a certain point mounted to the car. Ray tracing, which would be necessary for creating a life-like mirror most likely would be too heavy on the GPU.
    Indeed, mirrors are 2D images and represent the rear view (hence you won't see cars in it which are on your side and this is puzzling when trying to figure out if someone is there or not).
    Implementing a view which would change with the position of your head would not require ray tracing (just a rear view cam rotation), but since you're not supposed to move around your head that much, I suppose it's not on the todo list for pcars 1.
    Let's hope pcars 2 will have a better mirror implementation (at least a 3D feeling to it).
    OS: Win10 x64 | CPU: i5 4690K OC@4.2GHz | GPU: Zotac RTX 2080 AMP | RAM: 16GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 | Controller: Logitech G25 + Nixim mod v2 (brake) | Display: Pimax 5K+ VR headset | Sound: Virtual 7.1 Headset | Launch options: none
    The following user likes this Post: JAMF