Thread: PCARS freezing during loading

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

PCARS freezing during loading

Hi guys,

Been enjoying PCARS since launch, but suddenly the game is not succesfully starting ;

- Launches but immediately minimises to Taskbar icon only, but can't be accessed with ALT-TAB'ing or mouse selection
    - Launches but freezes on Slightly Mad / WMD logo screen
    - Launches, I select a game (currently Oulton Park with the McLaren GT3 on Quick Race), Oulton Park load screen appears, Tooltips continue cycling, load clock icon animates as normal - but fails to continue any further.
    - Eventually, a Windows notification will appears stating that PCARS has crashed
    - Steam shows the PCARS as still running, even though it has crashed

My basic specs;

Win 10 64 bit
    Sim Commander 4 (updated)*
    Thrustmaster T300 599 wheels + pedals (TM drivers up to date)
    Gigabyte GeForce 780 (latest NVIDIA drivers)
    PCARS obviously updated, through Steam

*Launching through SimCommander OR through Steam has no obvious difference.

Can somebody please advise me how I can re-install or at least RESET the config files, or indeed if there is a pattern to this non-loading?

Many thanks,
    Chris

UPDATE

Since this, I deleted the "graphicsconfigdx11.xml" graphics config, Updated Windows, Updated PCARS, ran the Steam 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache' option (which spotted the missing Graphics Config file, and replaced it) and now the game is launching, but not displaying - I can actually hear the damn intro music running >_<

Is this all since the VIVE and Oculus updates have been added???

Help please!
    Last edited by aeioux; 15-05-2016 at 12:14. Reason: updated

Platform
    PC
    Are you getting any files in your "Documents\Project CARS\dbgSession" folder? If it's crashing, it should put some crash files in that folder.

Do you have any type of head tracking software installed? Do you have the Nvidia 3D drivers installed (check your Nvidia Control Panel)?
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the reply Mahjik :

- No head tracking software installed
    - Yes, LOTS of folders in the dbgsession (117 in total) with the most recent yesterday when I was repeatedly attempting to run PCARS.
    - Yes I believe I have 3D Settings on inside the NVIDIA control panel (originally specified to improve Game Stock Car Extremes visuals).

I reset the GLOBAL 3D Settings to default, and PCARS worked!

So I quit, attempted to run it through Sim Commander and although the game is 'running' (I can hear intro sound/music, and SC4 and Steam identifies it as running), the window did not automatically switch over, nor can I manually tab to it ((

There was another debug log generated and this is a snippet of the app.log ;

[17:10:10:988][0x00001ea4] [Info ] [BLogBase::Init] [Internal] Initialised Log
    [17:10:14:623][0x00001ea4] [Info ] [RaceAppCoreGame::LoadTextDatabases] Failed to load Entity Text Database!
    [17:10:14:624][0x00001ea4] [Info ] [RaceAppCoreGame::LoadTextDatabases]Failed to load Championships Database!
    [17:10:16:172][0x00001ea4] [Info ] [GameAudioManager::ChangeLanguage] Audio Language changed to English ()
    [17:10:18:572][0x00001ea4] [Warn ] [XMLHelper::Warning] Failed to parse data file 'upgrade\vehicleupgradecatalogue\kart_01.xml': Failed to open file.
    [17:10:18:572][0x00001ea4] [ERROR] [UpgradeCatalogue::Load] Failed to load from data file 'upgrade\vehicleupgradecatalogue\kart_01.xml'.
    [17:10:18:573][0x00001ea4] [Warn ] [XMLHelper::Warning] Failed to parse data file 'upgrade\vehicleupgradecatalogue\kart_02.xml': Failed to open file.

Hope you can advise further, much appreciated

Chris

Platform
    PC
    Unless you are using 3D, try disabling it in the Control Panel.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Hmmm, thanks Mahjik - I don't have Stereoscopic 3D enabled, and with the 'Manage 3D Settings' there were no changes before PCARS stopped loading succesfully.
    I've also reset-to-default all the options in 3D Settings anyway....

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by aeioux View Post
    Hmmm, thanks Mahjik - I don't have Stereoscopic 3D enabled, and with the 'Manage 3D Settings' there were no changes before PCARS stopped loading succesfully.
    I've also reset-to-default all the options in 3D Settings anyway....
    You could also remove the 3D part from the driver completely. I remember it giving issues during pCARS development evne when not using it.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think