Thread: Need suggestions to minimize the SDE while using a CV1 in pCars

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Need suggestions to minimize the SDE while using a CV1 in pCars

Hello all. I love pCars and want to love my Oculus CV1. The immersion and sense of depth is just wonderful in VR but I am disappointed in the VR resolution and the resulting SDE (screen door effect). My Windows 10 PC is running a single Geforce GTX980 4GB GDDR5 video card. I looking for suggestions on how to minimize the SDE in pCars. I really don’t understand all the video setting in the game and Nvidia control panel and not sure what to possibly change to improve the resolution. Any clear suggestions to minimize SDE will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. John

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Turn on anti-aliasing or increase it.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Screen door effect is a physical limitation that is defined by the space (or lack thereof) between pixels. There really isn't much that can be done to reduce screen door effect since the space between pixels is fixed.

That said, the CV1 really doesn't have particularly pronounced SDE, it just has low resolution which I think people have a tendency to confuse with SDE. Put simply low resolution means being able to see the individual pixels, SDE is being able to see the dark gap between the pixels - and the resulting mesh grid type pattern that lends it the name.

It seems supersampling is one way to increase the apparent resolution (though I'm not aware that PCars allows this as an option - in some VR games you can select a simple multiplier (eg 1.0x through to 2.0x resolution) which will then be down sampled and displayed to the goggles. As suggested the only other thing you can do really is bump up the Anti-aliasing, though I take a massive hit in performance at more than 2x whilst keeping some of the other options high.

I would recommend playing around with settings and see - that's the best way to find what looks best to you. I have textures on high and 16x anisotropic, glare etc on subtle, most of the rest on high but track detail low, enhanced mirror off, grass low, shadows medium.

Superkart Pilot Kunal_Racedriver's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    There is a video on Youtube showing how to use something like dsr on Oculus Rift for improving anti aliasing. It requires some fiddling with oculus SDK and a powerful system. I don't own a headset but keeps following just out of curiosity. See if it makes any difference and do share your results here

| CPU: i7 2600K @3.8GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX1070 | MB: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance | PSU: GX750W | OS: Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 | Display: 3 X Benq Gw2760Hs| Wheel: Logitech G27

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks everyone for your replies and assistance.

Kunal_Race driver I tried the suggestion in the YouTube increasing the number to 2 and then only 1. Both really didn't help the clarity on my PC and then as a bad side effect the CV1 was very jittery when I moved my head from side to side....not good.

I believe Zeeflyboy is probably correct where simply seeming the low resolution hardware limits in the CV1.

FYI, I'm also experimenting with Assetto Corsa and found some very detailed instructions for optimizing VR in that game. Have tried that too but to be honest it's not even as good as Project Cars in my opinion.

If anyone else has any suggestions for pCars please let me know and I'll try them and report back to the forum. Thanks again everyone for your replies.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    This is the limitation of the physical pixel density of the Oculus/Vive panels. Until we have 5k+ panels for HMD. if you are that prone to SDE, the chances are increasing pixel won't help you.
    i7-6900k (4.3ghz), ASUS X99 Strix Gaming, 64GB DDR3-2133, 2x Titan Xp, Samsung Pro 960 512GB Boot, 3x Samsung Pro 950 512GB RAID0, 2x Samsung Pro 1TB RAID1, Full Custom 1xCPU 2xGPU Waterblocks/2x 240mm Radiators

WMD Member
    What processor do you have?

I too have a Cv1, 980 + Windows 10 and I used to own a i5, and although the processor was rarely anywhere near 100% CPU with Pcars when I upgraded to a i7 6700 the performance shot through the roof.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    fibberflops I'm using an Intel I7-3770K CPU 3.5 GHZ processor with an Asus motherboard with 16 GB RAM. The processor is not overclocked. Windows 10 too. Certain aspects of this processor are slightly below Oculus specs but I'm getting smooth frame rates.