Thread: Is there any way to create Textures? (add-on mods)

Platform
    PC

Is there any way to create Textures? (add-on mods)

Hello guys, this is my first attempt to make some skins for Project Cars.

In fact I try to make skins for the 2 Porsche Add-On cars.

But I ran into some issues:

- There are parts of the car, that do not have texture files.
    Like the steering wheel, the rear spoiler holder, maybe more.
    Is there a way to extract the textures from the MTX or MEB files? - I have no idea what these files are actually.
    If yes, could someone explain the process to me, and how to re-apply the textures one edited?

A 2nd question would be:
    - I tried to replace the interior texture, to adjust the interior colors of a specific car, but when I include the new texture files into the .rcf I get pure white interior, without textures. - Is there a limitation on what textures can be changed?
    example: <REPLACE TEXTURE="Vehicles\Textures\GT3RS_16_interior_diff.dds" NEWTEXTURE="Vehicles\Textures\GT3RS_16_interior_new_diff.dds" />

Thank you.
    Roland | Németh
    Driving an: Intel Core i7-870; 16GB RAM; nVidia GTX 770; Logitech Momo Racing
    Shooting a: Canon 5Ds with 85mm "L" glass

The interior diff.dds in the .rcf files is for the interior as seen by the external cameras, i.e. the textures you see when you look at the interior from chase cam. If you want to change the texture for the interior in the cockpit cam, you'll have to tweak the materials files (.bmt/.mtx) that are baked into the model (.meb).

The interior textures are all defined in the materials. The texture can be changed to a new texture if you convert the .bmt files to .mtx (binary material file -> xml material file) and edit the texture call with a text editor. The tool to make this bmt->xml conversion is available in JDougNY's public folder and requires a Linux or cygwin environment to build. It's been on the backburner for me to port this tool and build a windows executable. I think the Porsche mod cars have the .mtxs converted by default, so that makes things easier. Or, you could just make a backup of the original texture and edit a copy of it, which wouldn't require editing the material file.

If you have designs to do this for the default cars, I think the new modding system will require you to completely export the car and basically create a "new" car and an entry in the mods.txt, so that all these files will load "loose", instead of from their packed counterparts in the .bff files.
    i7 5820k @ 3.8 | EVGA GTX780Ti | MSI X99 SLI Plus | 16GB DDR4@2400 | EVGA 750 W | W10 x64 | Thrustmaster T300 | HTC Vive
    The following 2 users likes this Post: NemethR, Pigmachine

Platform
    PC
    WoW, thank you for the explanation.
    I will have to sit down, and have a look at it, but I am not sure I can do that complex things.

Quote Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
    The interior diff.dds in the .rcf files is for the interior as seen by the external cameras, i.e. the textures you see when you look at the interior from chase cam.
    Exactly. I want to change the interior seen from outside.
    Problem is, one of the liveries needs a different color then another.

Example:
    The Orange livery shall have orange "GT3 RS" logo on the seats, while others shall have it in white.
    The purple car shall have white speedo meters, the orange shall have red, the others the default.
    (Basicly I want to make some variety to the cars)

But for some reason, when I just copy the textures, and rename them, and include them to be changed (like above) I get a white interior (as if the texture would be missing).
    And I don't seem to get what I did wrong.

I exchanged the Silver Metallic cars rear taillights to clear transparent, without issues, but the same method seems not to work on the interior.
    Since this is my first ever try to do such things in Project Cars, I am sure I did something wrong, I just can't figure out what.
    Roland | Németh

Platform
    PC
    If you have designs to do this for the default cars, I think the new modding system will require you to completely export the car and basically create a "new" car and an entry in the mods.txt, so that all these files will load "loose", instead of from their packed counterparts in the .bff files.
    That is wrong, you no longer have to do this. You only need to extract the RCF files and add a entry to the mods.txt

@ NemethR - look at my Vantage GT8 livery for the GT12 in the Custom Livery section. It's an example of replacing the interior.
    The following user likes this Post: NemethR

Quote Originally Posted by LamboMantisMan23 View Post
    That is wrong, you no longer have to do this. You only need to extract the RCF files and add a entry to the mods.txt

@ NemethR - look at my Vantage GT8 livery for the GT12 in the Custom Livery section. It's an example of replacing the interior.
    Not for the interiors
    i7 5820k @ 3.8 | EVGA GTX780Ti | MSI X99 SLI Plus | 16GB DDR4@2400 | EVGA 750 W | W10 x64 | Thrustmaster T300 | HTC Vive

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by LamboMantisMan23 View Post

Not for the interiors

I'll have a look anyway, hope to learn something.
    Roland | Németh

Platform
    PC
    Not for the interiors
    Yes for the interiors. Any material or texture can be replaced by the rcf