Thread: Tried KinoVR and not wow'd is real VR wow factor worth it?

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC

Tried KinoVR and not wow'd is real VR wow factor worth it?

SO I tried the KinoVR with Head tracking over my 5ghz wifi.

It did work. I was apply to strap on my VR headset and get playable FPS to drive around the track. Head tracking too. Lag was not too bad. Graphics were worse then Pole Postion though. extreme jaggies and text unreadable.

I get all that, it was a $25 proof of concept to see VR and Pcars. It works.
    Graphics aside I was hoping for a much better immersion that made me want the Oculus or OSVR

I can see better graphics making it great, but I already have great graphics on my monitor, better then VR today.
    And driving in just helmet mode is not my style. I like bumper with occasional cockpit and look to apex.

I didnt get much of improved immersion over just headtracking in cockpit with the VR. DOes a real VR setup really make you feel in the car?

I guess my problem when sim driving, I dont look left/right that much that I can feel like in a world vs just driving and looking straight or to the apex But look to apec works great. VR seemed disoreitning looking to mirror at apex then back to the line. I lost direction more then helped my speed.

Am I missing something?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    To me it's the most impressive new technology I've ever seen.

It's use although clearly entertainment focused right now could see a major change in how we do sooooo many things...

My jaw is still on the floor. It completely trounced when I first stumbled on gl quake and saw that pixels were non existent. I can now sit inside a flight sim, be inside a car or space ship and fool my brain that I'm really doing these things.

I'm 46 and have not been so in wonder since childhood.

It's not perfect but it is already a game changer.
    6700K / 1080TI / 16GB DDR4 / SSD x 2 / M2 x 1 / Dell U3415W / NLR F1GT / Oculus Rift / CSW v2.5 / ClubSport V3 Pedals / TH8A Shifter
    The following 4 users likes this Post: beetes_juice, cluck, Erwan960, RaceNut

In the trophy cabinet, polishing my 2016 MVP trophy
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBloke View Post
    To me it's the most impressive new technology I've ever seen.

It's use although clearly entertainment focused right now could see a major change in how we do sooooo many things...

My jaw is still on the floor. It completely trounced when I first stumbled on gl quake and saw that pixels were non existent. I can now sit inside a flight sim, be inside a car or space ship and fool my brain that I'm really doing these things.

I'm 46 and have not been so in wonder since childhood.

It's not perfect but it is already a game changer.
    I'll echo all of the above (except I'm not that old ). I have had my Rift DK2 for coming up to 2 years and I wouldn't want to ever go back to driving or racing without it. Stick a set of closed-back headphones on, turn off the lights and the world around you disappears, leaving you with just the visuals from the headset, the audio from the headphones and the feedback from the wheel. There is simply nothing else like it. Sure, it's not for everybody and the resolution is nowhere near that of a monitor, but I have consistently stated - from the day I got mine - that it really doesn't matter once you get down to racing, such is the level of immersion that it can produce . Yeah, I like my Rift, a lot .
    PC Setup : Intel Core i5-8600K w/BeQuiet 240mm Silent Loop water cooler (overclocked to 4.5GHz) // MSI GTX 980 Gaming GPU // Asus Xonar DX PCI-E soundcard // Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard // 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666MHz RAM // Fractal Design Newton R3 800W PSU // Windows 10 64-bit // Fractal Design Define R4 case w/5 cooling fans // NEC 24" LCD 2470WNX 1920x1200 60Hz //
    The following 2 users likes this Post: RaceNut, SlowBloke

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    And there I thought u were born in March 1936
    6700K / 1080TI / 16GB DDR4 / SSD x 2 / M2 x 1 / Dell U3415W / NLR F1GT / Oculus Rift / CSW v2.5 / ClubSport V3 Pedals / TH8A Shifter
    The following user likes this Post: cluck

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcuff1 View Post
    ...with Head tracking over my 5ghz wifi...

Lag was not too bad...

I was hoping for a much better immersion

Am I missing something?
    No I think you've encapsulated everything perfectly there. The lack of the tiniest amount of lag or delay is what makes VR in the Rift and Vive so special. It + the FPS are what gives you presence... the immersion you seek.

Of course, VR won't be for everyone. If you're not a fan of cockpit mode on screen, VR might not change that. It is something you can practice and get better at if you are determined though.

MB Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe // CPU Intel i5 3570K // RAM G.Skill 16GB DDR3 @2133MHz // GPU Gigabyte nVidia Titan X // HDD 4x 2TB Western Digital // SSD Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

CPU Cooler Corsair H80 // Case CoolerMaster 650 Silencio // Display ASUS PG34Q 34" 3440x1400 100Hz G-SYNC LCD // Speakers Logitech Z5500-D 5.1ch // OS Windows 10 Pro x64// Build Default Parameters

VR Oculus Rift CV1 // Wheel Fanatec CSR Elite // Pedals Fanatec Clubsport // Shifter Thrustmaster TH8RS with InterfaceOne wheel adapter // Head Tracking TrackIR v4 // Audio Transducer ButtKicker Gamer v2.0 // Seat PlaySeat Executive
    The following user likes this Post: SlowBloke

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    The most impressive & surprising thing for me was the scale & 3d element rather than being able to look around. I'm far more aware of the 3d space & how my car is reacting to it.
    Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//T300rs//TH8A
    The following user likes this Post: Ryzza5

WMD Member
    I've tried some of the Quasi-VR gear but really, they just don't do VR much justice at all. It's essential to have smooth performance in VR as the slightest hiccup in performance or tracking breaks immersion making presence impossible. Image quality does play a part in VR's overall effectiveness but, it can become secondary with the Rift and Vive once immersed in-game.

As someone that has been racing in VR since DK2's release, I've gone from being completely wowed to being very accustomed to VR and switching between triples and HMD is no issue at all; I still do prefer VR when available and fortunately, we have some great racing titles for VR with more on the way. The next generation or two of VR HMD's should see significant improvements along with supporting hardware so waiting for the next evolution should bring even more impressive first impressions - if that's what you are going for.

For those with very high visual standards, early VR is not likely to impress much but; for those of us that have been dreaming of VR for many years, it's really amazing to have such tech in our homes today. Wireless VR solutions have many limitations and having more feedback through controllers and tactile help our brains in accepting what we see in VR so the difference using proper hardware for VR is quite substantial - as is the cost.
    MSi Z270 Pro Mobo . CPU Intel i7 7700k . RAM 32GB . OS Windows 10 . GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti SC . Audio Creative ZX . Klipsch 4.1 Speakers / Sennheiser Headphones . Controller SimX AccuForce Pro / OSW Small Mige (SimuCube 10k) / HE-Pro Pedals / Fanatec CSS-SQ Shifter / Fanatec Hand-brake . Displays BenQ GW2760s (triples) / Oculus Rift Cv1 . Chassis Custom 80/20 frame . SimVibe / iNuke NU3000DSP amp / BK-LFE (Extensions Mode) / iNuke NU1000 / ADX Bass-Shakers X2 (Chassis Mode)

Platform
    PC
    The graphical fidelity *is* a problem, and there are a huge number of parameters to tweak, resulting in an unmanageable number of combinations to try when looking for the ideal performance / quality trade off. It feels like you're never quite making the most of your graphics card / CPU / HMD. Which can be frustrating and time consuming.

However...

I've just crashed out of an F3 race at Monaco using my Vive (14 AI cars). Using med-high settings (gtx 1080) and accepting that game would be running at 45fps with reprojection. Wow. It's, just, a completely different experience. Completely. You are *in* the game. Yes, it still looks like a game but you're actually *there*. It really does have the capacity to change gaming completely. That's how good it can be. The current HMDs will (I hope) appear crude in 2 or 3 years, but even with their limitations they're are good enough to make you grin like a fool
    Crew Chief details here http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...r-for-PC-users
    Website, download link and forum: http://thecrewchief.org
    Or make a donation, if you think the chief needs to drink more beer:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=LW33XFXP4DPZE
    The following 3 users likes this Post: beetes_juice, cluck, SlowBloke

In the trophy cabinet, polishing my 2016 MVP trophy
    Platform
    PC
    Just to be clear, my like was for the second paragraph. Since I own a DK2, which is less demanding than the CV1, all I had to do was drop a couple of graphics settings from their maximum and I've been a happy camper ever since . I appreciate that it is not quite so simple with the CV1.
    PC Setup : Intel Core i5-8600K w/BeQuiet 240mm Silent Loop water cooler (overclocked to 4.5GHz) // MSI GTX 980 Gaming GPU // Asus Xonar DX PCI-E soundcard // Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard // 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666MHz RAM // Fractal Design Newton R3 800W PSU // Windows 10 64-bit // Fractal Design Define R4 case w/5 cooling fans // NEC 24" LCD 2470WNX 1920x1200 60Hz //