Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question ( of sorts ) for Development team

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Quick question ( of sorts ) for Development team

Hi guys, been playing project cars since the beginning on the ps4 though all its ups and downs and untill a few days ago I have played no other racer that was untill Assetto Corsa got released on console, now this is what has prompted me to sign up and post/ask this question.

Project cars is sold to the gaming community as a sim just as Assetto Corsa is yet both games are like apples and pears I wont get into all the nitty-gritty but the biggy is always physics, its easily apparent that these two games do not share the same values when it comes the simulation physics, for me and this is only my opinion the team behind project cars have pretty much nailed it at least when it comes the warm tyres, but not only that the whole emersion into the feel and body panel shake is there where as it is my opinion that the development team behind Assetto Corsa have missed the mark by a mile I get the feeling those guys seem to think lack of grip and extreme understeer is what makes a racing simulation game.

Now for several reasons I will not be pursuing Assetto Corsa I have in fact returned to Project cars but I now starting to panic a little with the inevitable release of Project cars 2 are you going to drastically alter your physics system ?

Many development teams seem to do this with there sequels, Race driver grid cool physics for a fun game Grid two terrible, Forza4 great physics for a simcade forza 5 totally down hill.

My point is guys please don't try and fix the parts of your game that imho are not broken, I know my post will hold very little to no weight but I really enjoy your game to the most part and would hate to see it follow the likes of Assetto Corsa ( not knocking the game , each to there own ).

Anyways just wanted to put that out there , great game guys great DLC fantastic patch support really appreciate.
    Last edited by T7 Aero; 01-09-2016 at 15:50.

In the trophy cabinet, polishing my 2016 MVP trophy
    Platform
    PC
    I'll keep my reply to this short and sweet. You can only fix what's broken, otherwise it's a case of refining what's already there

I have got access to pCARS2 but everything is still very much 'under development', not to mention 'under wraps' as far as talking about it goes, so I can't really give you any clues as to the direction it's headed and whether or not you will like it, sorry . Shouldn't be too long to wait for news to start appearing, I hope .

EDIT : 'Broken' is almost certainly too strong a word.
    Last edited by cluck; 01-09-2016 at 15:56.
    PC Setup : Intel Core i5-8600K w/BeQuiet 240mm Silent Loop water cooler (overclocked to 4.5GHz) // MSI GTX 980 Gaming GPU // Asus Xonar DX PCI-E soundcard // Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard // 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666MHz RAM // Fractal Design Newton R3 800W PSU // Windows 10 64-bit // Fractal Design Define R4 case w/5 cooling fans // NEC 24" LCD 2470WNX 1920x1200 60Hz //
    The following user likes this Post: Konan

WMD Member
    If you'd know some of the PC only sims like iRacing and rFacor 2, you wouldn't say pCARS and AC don't share the same values.
    AC is a bit more basic, but both AC and pCARS provide you with more grip and reliability in the cars, and at least for me they belong to the new generation sims. Older generation sims are much harder to get up to speed and to drive on the edge.
    They all feel different though, a mystery since the beginning of sims why they all claim to be realistic but still feel so different to each other.
    PC specs Intel i5 4690K 8GB RAM Asus GTX 1060 Dual OC (6GB) Windows 10 64bit Logitech Driving Force GT / Hama Keyboard / RAZER Onza Tournament Edition Gamepad

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    The reason that they all feel different is..........
    Different game engines, different coders, different way of looking at things, not enough RL data for physics/tyres maybe, etc etc etc
    Also one game may not be as complex as the other.
    There's lots of reasons why they can be different.
    Last edited by Roger Prynne; 01-09-2016 at 16:46.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you

The following user likes this Post: poirqc

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Ott View Post

They all feel different though, a mystery since the beginning of sims why they all claim to be realistic but still feel so different to each other.
    So true! It's hilarious how different all the "one true simulators" feel.
    COMPETITIVE RACING LICENSE Infographic | FFB INFO | SAFE IS FAST
    PS4 | FANATEC CSL Elite | FANATEC ClubSport Pedals v3

Platform
    PC
    It's resource limitations. i.e. for the most part, the same calculations are used to the same things. However, home computers and consoles do not have the processing power to fully simulate "everything" all at the same time. Each developer is approaching the resource limitations with different goals (i.e. focusing on certain aspects of the simulation).
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following user likes this Post: F1_Racer68

Platform
    PS4
    If the laws of physics hold up, they're all spot on.
    There's no 2 ways about Newtonian motion.
    I'm guessing the differences come down to ffb for the new-gen sims?
    Then there's vehicle and tyre data: GT, "the true driving simulator", has the latter nerfed and the basic (I'm talking high school level) vehicle models they use make the cars feel all the same. However it is still a driving simulator in the sense of left/right/accelerate/brake.
    Then you have pcars, AC, iracing etc going into detailed suspension and tyre modelling (also aerodynamics) which adds more calculations for the physics engine, which gives results that are much closer to reality.
    It's all approximations. How close is close enough? How much resources do you have available (vehicle data, tyre data, aero data, manpower and $) to spend? What do you concentrate more on: getting the tracks and cars laser scanned and millimetre perfect? Getting the tyres behaviour accurate?
    Consider the intricacies of tyre behaviour in pcars, then realise that even factory LMP1-H and F1 teams are all scrambling every race weekend to test, understand, predict and control tyre behaviour, with large teams of the best engineers in the world.
    Last edited by hkraft300; 01-09-2016 at 18:25.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Platform
    PC
    There are also many parts of each game that feel similar too. I did back to back races at Monza yesterday in the BMW Z4, and the similarities in handling, physics, laptimes, braking points even FFB were all far more striking than the differences. The main differences were the areas where the AI do good things or annoying things. I've spent a bit of time trying to get into AC recently, I suppose the console release has put it back on the radar. I think it's good, but I don't think it's as good as pCars.
    i7-7700K/GigaByte RTX 2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/HP Reverb/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following user likes this Post: F1_Racer68

Platform
    PS4
    So they should.
    Well then if AC is more convenient to tune a car, do your setup work in AC with adjustments on the fly and warmed tyres and transfer over to pcars for a competitive race
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

In the trophy cabinet, polishing my 2016 MVP trophy
    Platform
    PC
    It's also worth pointing out that the thing that most people think of as 'physics' in a driving sim, is usually just the tyre model. Of course, there are lots of other things modelled but that's their 'interface', if you will, with the car and what it's doing. Tyre modelling is hugely complex and I doubt we will ever see a 100% accurate simulation - tyres are still constructed by hand, for one thing, and every single tyre is different .
    PC Setup : Intel Core i5-8600K w/BeQuiet 240mm Silent Loop water cooler (overclocked to 4.5GHz) // MSI GTX 980 Gaming GPU // Asus Xonar DX PCI-E soundcard // Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard // 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666MHz RAM // Fractal Design Newton R3 800W PSU // Windows 10 64-bit // Fractal Design Define R4 case w/5 cooling fans // NEC 24" LCD 2470WNX 1920x1200 60Hz //
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bradleyland, F1_Racer68