Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fanatec CSL Elite Help/Support

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Fanatec CSL Elite Help/Support

Good day all!

Came here looking for a little help after reaching to PCARS over on the Facebooks. I had a full Obutto/Fanatec CSW setup a few years ago and absolutley loved it but sold it all to get an actual race car. I did eventually get a TX setup a year or so later just to have some fun. BTW really impressed with that wheel for the price point. Unfortunately due to the recent flooding we had here where I live, we lost everything including the racecar. I decided I really wanted another SIM setup but just didn't want to spend the amount I did before so enter the new CSL Elite.

I just received my new setup which consists of the Fanatec CSL Elite wheel base with CSL P1 steering wheel and the Fanatec CSL Elite pedals. PCARS is probably my favorite sim to date. Growing up I was always looking forward to the next Need 4 Speed but in the recent years that's kind of turned into a Burnout game. Granted Shift and 1 or 2 others were great. I've tried all of the recent titles and PCARS is where its at for me. The sound, graphics and gameplay all feels amazing and true. I was very surprised to see the Fanatec stuff show up considering it said it was on pre-order but alas it is here. So onto my issue...

I cannot get PCARS to recognize both the wheel and pedals. They're both plugged in via USB. I've tried all of the different Fanatec setups within PCARS and none of them recognize the CSL. I've also tried Custom Wheel and that too doesn't recognize it. All Fanatec drivers and firmware is up to date. Currently running PCARS version: 11.0.0.0.1235. (<----may have missed a 0, can't remember)

TLDR: Does anyone here have the Fanatec CSL Elite wheel and pedals and if so what did you do to make it work? The Fanatec hardware property's page works as well as it all works in iRacing. PCARS is the bees knees for me and want to get this up and running again with the new Fanatec CSL setup. Any help is truly appreciated.

Platform
    PC
    The CSL Elite hardware was not available during development so there is no specific support for it. However, when you select the CSW v2 profile it'll work just fine.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box
    Texture Res HIGH | AF 16x | VSync ON | AA MSAA Medium | Reflections HIGH | EnvMap HIGH | Vehicle ULTRA | Track ULTRA | Shadows HIGH | Motion Blur OFF | Particle Quality HIGH | Particle Density HIGH | Crepuscular Rays ON | Heat Haze OFF | Stretched Headlights ON | Detailed Grass OFF
    With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say. || Don't take life too seriously. No-one gets out alive anyway.
    The following user likes this Post: AbeWoz

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thank you for the reply. I'm more than positive I tried that but will give it a shot again. Does USB type matter possibly? Currently have it plugged into USB 2.0.

Platform
    PC
    It should be USB 2.0, USB 3.0 does not work well.

If you tried the CSW v2 profile, what was wrong with it? Be sure to assign and then calibrate wheel and pedals, as in general nothing will work automagically.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box
    Texture Res HIGH | AF 16x | VSync ON | AA MSAA Medium | Reflections HIGH | EnvMap HIGH | Vehicle ULTRA | Track ULTRA | Shadows HIGH | Motion Blur OFF | Particle Quality HIGH | Particle Density HIGH | Crepuscular Rays ON | Heat Haze OFF | Stretched Headlights ON | Detailed Grass OFF
    With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say. || Don't take life too seriously. No-one gets out alive anyway.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    lol I love that word... I thought so. I remember trying 3.0 with the CSW I had and having weird issues. When I get home and try again, I will post up my findings. Thank you again.

Platform
    PC
    Did You ever get home?
    Did you get it working ?
    I would like to see this have a resolution as im about to order one .
    How's it feel compared to the CSW ?
    Are the paddle shifters noisey ? (do they click loudly).
    Does that rim feel cheap ?
    GPU: Galax GTX 1080 Ti EXOC/ CPU: Intel i5 6600K @ 4.7GHz/ Cooler: Hyper D92 / Mobo: Asrock z170 Extreme4/ RAM: 8GB DDR4 2800MHz/ PSU: Coolermaster V750/ Storage: 2TB WD / Kingston 120GB SSD/250GB Evo 850 SSD/ Case: Storm Enforcer/ OS: Win 10/ Display: Sony 55" @ 3840x2160p / Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2 / Formula Carbon / CS Universal Hub/ Pedals: CSR Elite/ FTW / VR: Oculus Rift .

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    My apologies for just responding but yes I did make it home. lol I've been out sick for the past few days but am now rested up.

I did get it working but man it was some work. Sorry for the long read but here goes..

I got the buttons and pedals sorted out pretty easily but the wheel itself took a little bit. For whatever reason it just would not pick up when I would turn it left or right. Finally after kind of tugging in either direction it picked it up. I finally was able to drive. Now onto a small review.

I'm gonna gripe a lotta-little here so bear with me... The CSL has great FFB. It really is a powerful unit. If you have it turned up, you can get a real work out. The first thing I noticed, and I'm still working on, is the overall feel of it all. I'm really big being able to feel what the car, road, tires, etc. are doing. To sum it up the CSL is very numb feeling. I CANNOT feel the bumps and curbs and such. While its a strong base, it lacks feeling. It's all very numb and disconnecting. I'm still working on it but here's some more of my findings.

I've spent the past few days going over and testing all kinds of FFB settings and tweaks for PCARS and the Fanatec line of wheels. Obviously this one is too new to have its own settings yet. I got so frustrated that I've sent in a request for both Tech and Return help from Fanatec. Still haven't heard back on either of those things. Probably won't until after the 14 day return policy is past. When I had my TX all I did on the cars was adjust the Master Scale to 32-34, depending on car, and that was it. Good to go, no issues and felt everything like you should. Just to get some of the feeling back in, I've had to go into the FFB Configuration, adjust the wheels settings, tune each individual car using different SoP, FFB, etc. settings. Maybe this is how it is even with the CSW guys, I don't know yall can tell me. Maybe its the this P1 rim and it's internals are not as "quality" and "sensitive" as the others in Fanatecs line up. IDK.

Feel free to school me on maybe what you CSW guys use and if I have any terminology wrong. Few things I did to restore some of the feedback from the road/curbs/bumps was to turn the Damping in the Fanatec Property Page to 0. DPR on the wheel is also 0.

From what I understand:
    Fx: FFB when acc/brk
    Fy: How heavy the wheel is when turning
    Fz: How much FFB over bumps and curbs
    Mz: How much FFB when losing traction

I've concentrated on most of them with emphasis being on Fz (if this is all correct). The more I turned them up, including in relation to Master Scale and Spindle Scale, it didn't make a great deal of change. I can kind of feel the bumps and curbs and kinda can't. Going really slow I can to a degree but when at speed not so much. This includes off road excursions. Don't get me wrong, it is way better than it was but still not where it needs to be. Also another thing was, when in a openwheeler, like the formula cars, once you reached around 160mph the steering wheel would shake uncontrollably. I finally found where someone mention the Tire Force setting and turned it down to 60 and that helped greatly.

My thoughts are like this, maybe its all in a FW update or the P1 wheel isn't up to snuff, IDK. I do know that I've never had to go through so many setting/tuning changes just to get a wheel to operate normally. I know I'm working on getting it where I like it but when I first started working with the tuning/settings, I was just trying to get a good baseline. All stock settings in PCARS and the Fanatec wheel was terrible. There was literally no feeling to it. I fell like I'm repeating and losing track of thought but I just don't think there should be this much tuning needed to get out on the track pretty much. In watching and reading ISRTV review they mentioned the bumps and such were numb feeling but on point with the TX. I completely disagree with that. The TX was much better. If you were to hit a wall with the CSW or TX, you'd know it. Snap your wrist if the Force was high enough. Testing with this at 100+mph and the wheel doesn't even budge. But who knows...maybe I'll find that special setting that makes this CSL what it should be.

My thoughts on the base minus all the tuning and setup woes I've had. Great looking and the FFB feels like a CSW v1, turning wise that is. Never drove a v2. Very strong. After a little digging, Fanaled's even work with this CSL base.

The P1 wheel is an upgrade over the TX 458 wheel for sure in both feel and quality (no plastic). The quick disconnect is really not one. It reminds me of putting on a watch and tightening a screw. Miss the BMW wheel I had. That's a true quick disconnect. I also don't really like the placement of the buttons but that could be personal preference. The paddles are ok, not quite entry level feeling but not mack daddy feeling either. They're nice. Oh and the little thumbstick can't be used as a mouse. It doesn't have a full range in motion, more of just a d-pad.

The Elite pedals are nice quality and feel pretty good I guess. I had to adjust the brake sensitivity on the Fanatec property page because I couldn't stop how I should, both in PCARS and iRacing. Adjusting it from 60 (stock) to 50 made all the difference. Some may find the LC pedal a bit stiff even with the softest bushings, like me, but over the past few days it's broken in a little and feels a little better. I'm sure others will agree it would be nice if the clutch and gas were able to be adjusted but alas it is what it is. Especially since when you get the LC brake pedal, you essentially make the old brake pedal the clutch pedal. I do miss how the clutch is on the v2's and v3's.

To come to a close, I am more than open ears on any feedback or how to's or settings or tuning options to try and make this thing have some sort of a better feel in relation to curbs, bumps, offroading, sliding, etc.
    Last edited by viper0730; 02-11-2016 at 21:06.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by viper0730 View Post
    My apologies for just responding but yes I did make it home. lol I've been out sick for the past few days but am now rested up.

I did get it working but man it was some work. Sorry for the long read but here goes..

I got the buttons and pedals sorted out pretty easily but the wheel itself took a little bit. For whatever reason it just would not pick up when I would turn it left or right. Finally after kind of tugging in either direction it picked it up. I finally was able to drive.
    Sounds a bit strange. I do know that you have to turn the wheel almost until the end stop normally before it registers the assignment. I assume that you calibrated it properly first in the game?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Yes sir, all calibrated. Even went and just recalibrated to be sure.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I bought the CSL for my second rig and it worked fine first shot, unsure what issues you were having. i selected the csw v2 and just calibrated everything. using my g25 pedal set with a leo bodner usb conversion cable and a fanatec shifter sq 1.5. feed back is great, i had to turn it down a bit but overall very similar to my CSW v2 base.