Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a motion seat for more immersion

Adding a motion seat for more immersion

I’ve been playing pc racing games for 21 years and it is by far my favorite hobby so when I find something that is a game changer I like to share.

For the past few years I’ve been using a buttkicker so I can ‘feel’ the car along with road surfaces either through the sound or telemetry of the sim but I wanted more immersion so I recently bought a Geko GS-105 motion seat and now I need to share with others who might be thinking of going to the next level (next level of immersion not the next level seat mover, lol).

Playing pCARS with the G-Seat has been incredibly awesome. Feeling the forces of acceleration and braking, feeling the bumps, dips and cracks on any given straight away, feeling the side forces produced when cornering while at the same time feeling the effects of hitting the curbs and/or rumble strips in those same corners is just simply awesome. What I just mentioned is what I feel with the G-Seat and adding the buttkicker to the seat seemed to fill in some gaps and it’s a match made in heaven.

Adding the G-Seat to my rig has been interesting as I had to re-work just about everything but it is without a doubt worth every swear word I said and thought throughout the whole process. I also feel the need to mention that I wasn’t 100% happy when I first got the G-Seat as I didn’t like what I was feeling when cornering but it turned out I had 2 things wrong. First I didn’t have the harness on the G-Seat properly adjusted, second I was not in the proper ‘mind set’ when driving a sim as I was letting the G-Seat move me around instead of me fighting the forces trying to stay still. After taking a long road trip concentrating on what my body was doing to keep still when taking corners at a high rate of speed I went back to my G-Seat and applied what I remembered and now I’m 110% happy. It’s quite a ‘core’ workout resisting the forces lap after lap. I now can relate to (well most of) this story “You think driving an Indy car is easy?” Of course the severity of forces depends on what car is being driven and the settings within the G-Seat software (a lot of adjustability within the software).

So anyway if you are thinking about going to the next level of immersion I highly recommend the Geko GS-105.
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit – Samsung 850 Pro SSD – i7 6700k @ 4.4 – 8GB DDR4 RAM – Titan X (Pascal) – Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI – Triple 27" Hanns-G @ 5760x1080 – Modified Obutto Cockpit – TS-PC Racer – ClubSport Pedals v3 – Fanatec CS Shifter – Buttkicker BKA 300 – Geko Systems GS-105 (G-Seat)
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Ace Diesel, BullWinkle, Invincible

Platform
    PC
    you should make a vid or show us some pics of your rig .
    OS : Windows 10 64 bit \ Processor : Intel Core i7 8700k \ RAM : Corsair Vengeance led 3000mhz DDR4 16GB \ MB : S1151 ATX ASUS TUF Z370 PRO Gaming \ games on D : ST 1000DM003-1SB102 ATA Device \ ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB \ Cooler Master HAF XM case \ Philips 40" 60Hz Widescreen 4K Ultra HD LED monitor \ Buttkicker Gamer Pro 2 \ Logitech 5.1 thx whit JBL speakers \ Fanatec V2 , Clubsport Shifter SQ , Clubsport Formula Carbon , BMW GT2 Wheel , CSR Pedals \ Renovatio SRD9C CSW sli-style data display \ Sim Racing Hardware Monsta \ Oculus Rift and Touch System .

First racing game : Auto Racing from Intellivision .
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BullWinkle, Ekay.jay

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bporion View Post
    you should make a vid or show us some pics of your rig .

Same here, i want to see pics!
    Steam I.D: Ekay_Jay
    Fanatec CS V2.5 | CS V3 pedals| Formula wheel | Momo mod30 wheel | CS handbrake| | Th8a shifter

Although I’m embarrassed to show pic’s as it is still a mess I will show a few anyway. The triple screen pic is my old setup, a modified Obutto rig. In my current setup I'm using the front half of the Obutto and I bought the GT Omega Triple Monitor Stand V3 which is in place but I don’t have any pic’s of it. In the pic with the G-Seat you can see my wheel attached to a board that is bolted to the front half of the Obutto rig, it is very solid. I have a few sketchup pic’s of a sliding platform that I’m going to build later this month, I need a sliding seat platform so I can get in and out because right now it’s a major pain getting in and out (don't worry, the sliding platform will have stops so it doesn't slide to far back and flip).

Once I get the sliding platform built and installed I will post pics of the whole rig which will include a shifter console that I have to also make (ugh!!! *$#@!!!! But again when I race with the G-Seat it's worth the aggravation)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG(800x450).jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	236245

Name:	IMG (800x450).jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	236246

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	236247

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	236248
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit – Samsung 850 Pro SSD – i7 6700k @ 4.4 – 8GB DDR4 RAM – Titan X (Pascal) – Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI – Triple 27" Hanns-G @ 5760x1080 – Modified Obutto Cockpit – TS-PC Racer – ClubSport Pedals v3 – Fanatec CS Shifter – Buttkicker BKA 300 – Geko Systems GS-105 (G-Seat)
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bporion, BullWinkle

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    looks more like a soft massage chair for old people.
    the back is the only moving part of the seat?
    OSW Lenze servo 29Nm, Fanatec Clubsport shifter (H-gated), Heusinkvelt SIM Pedals PRO, selfmade Sim-RIG, triple 40" 1080p TV, 2x Ignitioncontrols button boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Seelenkrank View Post
    looks more like a soft massage chair for old people.
    the back is the only moving part of the seat?
    First off massage chairs are for all ages . Honestly I didn't care for the looks until I saw it in person. I don't know how to explain it but seeing it in person I see it’s a high quality handmade chair and I actually like the looks of it now.

And yes, the back is the only thing that moves, they describe it as a "force feedback motion simulator" (here is an explanation). Check this video out to see it in action.

Platform
    PC
    i too have a motion system: a gs-4 coupled with a 2x d-box .. this and with VR, sim racing is an incredible experience .. i have been sim racing since the days of Crammond's F1 games .. at this stage our hobby has almost hit a pinnacle
    The following user likes this Post: McClusky

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    well i see the vid and it reminds me more of an earthquake simulator then a motion simulator.
    OSW Lenze servo 29Nm, Fanatec Clubsport shifter (H-gated), Heusinkvelt SIM Pedals PRO, selfmade Sim-RIG, triple 40" 1080p TV, 2x Ignitioncontrols button boxes

Platform
    PC
    well i see the vid and it reminds me more of an earthquake simulator then a motion simulator.
    I can assure you it is unlike what it reminds you .. if you ever get a chance to try it is an amazing experience
    The following user likes this Post: McClusky

reminds me more of an earthquake simulator then a motion simulator.
    If this video is what its like to be in an earthquake then I made a good purchase