Thread: Head tracking and sound spatialisation

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Head tracking and sound spatialisation

Hi,

I am using trackIr and a stereo headset, I am curious to know if it's possible in Project Cars to have a simulated spatialisation of sound as my head is tracked?

I mean that if I turn my head it should be possible to mix volumes sounds depending of the orientation of our ears from sounds sources. This can improve the immersion.

I think that this kind of feature should already be done for VR headset

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamaros View Post
    Hi,

I am using trackIr and a stereo headset, I am curious to know if it's possible in Project Cars to have a simulated spatialisation of sound as my head is tracked?

I mean that if I turn my head it should be possible to mix volumes sounds depending of the orientation of our ears from sounds sources. This can improve the immersion.

I think that this kind of feature should already be done for VR headset
    That's a good question. When I use TrackIR and the other cars are close enough to me for the sound to matter... well... that's the least of my concern haha :P

Platform
    PC
    I moved this to "Feature Suggestions". There are likely no more large feature changes for pCARS1, but you never know. I will say in practice the sound on race track doesn't really change much as you move your head. If the car is on your right, that's where the sound is coming from.. That doesn't change much if you were able to turn your head 90 degrees. *If* you were able to turn 180, then yes it should in theory have sound on the left.

I will say that in most cases, if a race car is loud enough, the noise just fills the entire cabin regardless if it's on the left or right. Check this video out of one of my warm-up sessions:

https://youtu.be/3tR0xqYR9_o?t=30s

As the higher class Mustang goes by, the sound was deafening. It completely filled my cockpit (i.e. my left ears were bleeding just as much as my right).
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | 2x EVGA GTX 970 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | 2x Buttkickers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    Known Issues

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    I moved this to "Feature Suggestions". There are likely no more large feature changes for pCARS1, but you never know. I will say in practice the sound on race track doesn't really change much as you move your head. If the car is on your right, that's where the sound is coming from.. That doesn't change much if you were able to turn your head 90 degrees. *If* you were able to turn 180, then yes it should in theory have sound on the left.

I will say that in most cases, if a race car is loud enough, the noise just fills the entire cabin regardless if it's on the left or right. Check this video out of one of my warm-up sessions:

https://youtu.be/3tR0xqYR9_o?t=30s

As the higher class Mustang goes by, the sound was deafening. It completely filled my cockpit (i.e. my left ears were bleeding just as much as my right).
    I just think that even with a small variation it can be important for immersion and to avoid balance issue for users with a VRheadset and if it's done for VrHeadset it could be adapted for trackIR easily.