Thread: How heavy is steering in a real race car: realistic FFB strength?

Platform
    PS4

How heavy is steering in a real race car: realistic FFB strength?

Hi all,

I have been racing at Force Feedback (in Controller configuration settings) at 40 for some time now. However it can be all the way up to 100, and Tire Force can also be increased alot. I want the most realistic setting, i.e., how heavy is steering in a real GT3 car, LMP1 car or Formula 1 car? What is a realistic setting for the Force Feedback level and the tire force?

Thank you!

PS I have a Trustmaster T150.
    Last edited by Cumulonimbus; 04-12-2016 at 19:36.

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    I suggest you check out these threads...... and ask your question there.
    What I can tell you, is that you will never get wheels like ours to reproduce the steering strength of a real car..... their just not made for it.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...p-and-settings

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...B-PC-PS4-XBox1
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you

The following user likes this Post: vahagn_hayk

Platform
    PC
    The main issue is that using very heavy steering will remove some of the subtle effects in the FFB model. Most consumer based wheels can only support so much dynamic range that you'll only end up with just resistance. If that's all you want, then that's fine.

As someone who does racing today, I'm not really sure where some of the comments come around about wheels not being able to replicate real life cars. The numbers may not match 1:1, but (higher end) consumer wheels can definitely give as much "perceived" resistance as a real car.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Fanapryde, GrimeyDog, morpwr

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    but (higher end) consumer wheels can definitely give as much "perceived" resistance as a real car.
    Yeah I should have mentioned that.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you

The following user likes this Post: GrimeyDog

Platform
    PS4
    Different cars will have different "resistance". Indy cars at high speed loaded up on downforce have heavier steering than a road spec SLS. While a budget wheel like a T150 or G29 can maybe replicate the weight of a road car (with power steering), it doesn't have the grunt to replicate high downforce open wheel/LMP cars. So turn up the ffb master for GT cars and reduce for LMP/Formula cars to avoid clipping.
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Is there any data out there the that actually shows the forces produced over a lap in a gt3 car or better still several different car classes? I can't seem to find any.
    Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//T300rs//TH8A

Platform
    PS4
    Steering wheel torque Figures, you're searching for?
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Most modern race cars have power assisted steering.
    in real life, it is pretty light.
    Some classes do not allow power steering, ( Nascar for example )
    so steering weight is dependent on Speed and amount of downforce..

But this is a Misconception about FFB..
    FFB is Meant to transmit, to your fingers and hands, what is Happening with the car and it's contact to the road.
    It is Not Meant to Simulate the Actual Steering weight of the car.
    Yes, some High end Wheels do have enough Torque for that, but that is not what consumer FFB wheels are designed for.
    I prefer a lighter wheel weight with as much road feel as possible.

Since we have no G-Forces, It all has to come through the Wheel.
    and that's what you need to Learn.. How does What you Feel from the FFB translate to what the car is doing.
    If you Just have a Heavy Wheel, you feel nothing but steering resistance.
    [PS4 Pro user] [Fanatec CSLE-PS4] [ClubSport V3 Pedals] [TH8A Shifter with Ricmotech Short Throw Plate] [Collectiveminds Drive Hub]
    PC - Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop Windows XPsp3 - Can't run pCars on it.
    DoNoHarm.us
    The following 5 users likes this Post: beetes_juice, gotdirt410sprintcar, Schnizz58, Shogun613, vahagn_hayk

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldanimal View Post
    Most modern race cars have power assisted steering.
    in real life, it is pretty light.
    Some classes do not allow power steering, ( Nascar for example )
    so steering weight is dependent on Speed and amount of downforce..

But this is a Misconception about FFB..
    FFB is Meant to transmit, to your fingers and hands, what is Happening with the car and it's contact to the road.
    It is Not Meant to Simulate the Actual Steering weight of the car.
    Yes, some High end Wheels do have enough Torque for that, but that is not what consumer FFB wheels are designed for.
    I prefer a lighter wheel weight with as much road feel as possible.

Since we have no G-Forces, It all has to come through the Wheel.
    and that's what you need to Learn.. How does What you Feel from the FFB translate to what the car is doing.
    If you Just have a Heavy Wheel, you feel nothing but steering resistance.
    While true, the stronger the wheel the more possibility for (tactible)dynamic range. If a wheel is very weak you can't really feel the difference between a light pull and a stronger pull or something in between. So I do prefer a stonger wheel(I always go for 100% on my T500, and improved it's cooling ). But maybe even more important is rotation speed. Your wheel should be able to at least match the speed the steering rack wants to auto rotate. Any slower and you introduce a mechanical resistance on your steering column and by that harm the auto centering capability of your car. If you car oversteers, the front wheels want to point in the (approximate depending on your alignment) direction to correct the skid. If that's too slow the car will be too late in correcting itself resulting in a spin unless you help it by hand.
    Life's too short to front wheel drive
    CSW 2.5, 918 Wheel, V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive

/// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Anyone here have a DD wheel?
    Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//T300rs//TH8A