Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 151st and ECSTATIC

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

151st and ECSTATIC

HI,a couple of days ago I thought I'd have a bash at the DNCE TT (I think it's called that) and having just started on Pro Cars an totally clueless I started hurtling around Oulton Park in the Arial Vsomething, and to my amazement ended up in the 400 mark, so threw caution to the wind an had a stab at the very basics of set ups ie gearing, downforce, and lowered the rear tyre pressure to help with oversteer, got down to 1.38.??? So spurred on I searched on here for an public set ups, Long story short-ish I opted for a general set up for the Arial in 2015 by a guy called JUSSI and within 7 laps had got down to 1.36 ??? with his set up so tweaked a couple of things, gearing, an more downforce to end up with 1.35.0?? or 151st So a BIG thanks to JUSSI for sharing his set ups and I'm now goin to spend what little time is left trying to get that bit further up the LB, Sorry It's a long post but I just had to share my excitement and you are the only ones I think would care LOL, If you've made it this far (well done) I'd really appreciate any tips etc re these events, like is there tyre wear, or advice of any description re learning the set up basics, anyhoooo thanks and hope to post a new improved time before it ends ! 160th in the end, but still a happy camper !
    Last edited by Leonardo Da Vinci; 10-02-2017 at 03:49. Reason: Name correction
    The following 3 users likes this Post: BullWinkle, hkraft300, kingsti

Platform
    PS4
    Jussi has some factory spec setups for the road cars on the that site, whatever manufacturers specs he could dig up. Keep them as close to the real cars as possible. No doubt he knows very well what he's doing. The calculator is his work too.

By the way, well done.
    Don't worry if the tyres pressures seem high or low. Formula C fronts can go down to ~.85 bar on some tracks. It's a matter of getting them to ~100c. When you do that and your confidence grows, you may have to increase the pressure again to cool them. Pressures, aero, gearing, cooling and brakes are good starting points. Steel brakes you want the ducts closed enough to hit ~600c (they give up past 750c), and adjust bias and pressure to your liking.
    Tyre wear and damage etc in TT are as per your gameplay settings. Turn them off and you'll run more consistent laps for longer.

Do some reading/watch some aero related material. Springs and dampers are good to have some basic theory behind it. Don't go by the in game description: it's too simplistic.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    You put your left pedal in, You take your left pedal out,
    You put your right pedal in, And you slide it all about...
    G29 settings.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post

By the way, well done
    Tyre wear and damage etc in TT are as per your gameplay settings. Turn them off and you'll run more consistent laps for longer.

Do some reading/watch some aero related material. Springs and dampers are good to have some basic theory behind it. Don't go by the in game description: it's too simplistic.
    Thanks m8y, Yeah Jussi does a mean base set up, that's what I need atm so I can tweak the gearing/downforce to the track but learn how to start from scratch myself which is what I'm aiming for long term circa PC3 perhaps lol, I've started the next TT which is Laguna Seca (a track I know from my time on Forza 4) but it's in a Ford Oil Tanker ! Interesting combo though ! Thanks again for the tips, much appreciated, I've found a guy on YouTube, T&Z Productions and he's done a really good mini series explaining the effects of Diff settings, suspension, etc but in a easy to understand kinda way, anyway time to catch some Zzzzzs after a real pig of a day, Ps, I'm still confused re tyre wear as I have my settings on real with tyre wear OFF but when in free practice to tweak, and, I think, in the actual TT event, if I check the telemetry it shows the wear rate ! anyhooo I'll do more checking over the weekend,

Platform
    PS4
    He certainly knows what he's doing.
    Have a search in the garage section, there's good reading material here on this forum re:tuning.

It's good to know how springs and dampers actually work, instead of going blindly into "increase slow bump for understeer". That'll help you get in to suspension tuning. What I do is use Jussi's calculator to get it in the ballpark, then it's a click left/right while doing laps to fine tune it. Getting the springs right has the biggest effect on car balance. Good damping keeps the car settled and you can feel that in the ffb, and it'll build your confidence in the car.
    Alignment changes are really fine tuning. Camber and toe will affect (slightly) entry and exit but have a big overall effect on wear rates for endurance racing.
    Turning your first few laps you can mostly zero in on the aero/gearing/brakes/ducts/pressures.
    With default setups that'll get you within a second of the top times (talent permitting. I'm about 5 seconds off).
    G29 settings.
    The following user likes this Post: Leonardo Da Vinci

Platform
    PS4
    Take my tuning tips with a grain of salt.
    I'll often set up a car for good driveability and tyre wear over outright pace. I'm more into racing 1hr+ than chasing LB times.

A good car to see the effects of tuning are the Oreca/Alpine LMP2 cars and, without the influence of aero, the Formula Rookie. They're adjustable enough that you can have a play with it in the setup screen and slow enough to gauge the results.
    They're not super fast like LMP1 and other open wheelers where it's more like you're holding on for dear virtual life...
    Aero tip: many cars (especially LMP) are heavily rear biased for their aero. By that I mean with equal wings f/r (eg 5/5), the rear end will squat much more than the front at speed because there's more aero load on it. I'll often run the front wings at 2+rear, eg 5 front, 3 rear so it's much more balanced and less understeery at speed.

That said: everything in tuning is interconnected. There are different ways about it, it's all a trade-off. Entry understeer? Damping/alignment/diff can all solve it but each has a different side effect.
    G29 settings.
    The following user likes this Post: Leonardo Da Vinci

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    He certainly knows what he's doing.
    Have a search in the garage section, there's good reading material here on this forum re:tuning.
    It's good to know how springs and dampers actually work, instead of going blindly into "increase slow bump for understeer". That'll help you get in to suspension tuning. What I do is use Jussi's calculator to get it in the ballpark, then it's a click left/right while doing laps to fine tune it. Getting the springs right has the biggest effect on car balance. Good damping keeps the car settled and you can feel that in the ffb, and it'll build your confidence in the car.
    Alignment changes are really fine tuning. Camber and toe will affect (slightly) entry and exit but have a big overall effect on wear rates for endurance racing.
    Turning your first few laps you can mostly zero in on the aero/gearing/brakes/ducts/pressures.
    With default setups that'll get you within a second of the top times (talent permitting. I'm about 5 seconds off).
    I deffo need to get jussi's calc, (then decipher it hehe, I checked out "The Race Engineer" you recommended in another post, only a quick scan but looks a good source of info,

Thanks again for the tips and support, there's so many new things I'm having to get familiar with atm, xb360 to ps4, old MS wheel to G29 (made a huge difference) Add Project Cars to the mix and the result has been a near meltdown lol, so I REALLY do appreciate your help
    Last edited by Leonardo Da Vinci; 11-02-2017 at 10:53. Reason: MEH
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    [QUOTE=hkraft300;1323141]Take my tuning tips with a grain of salt
    I'll often set up a car for good driveability and tyre wear over outright pace. I'm more into racing 1hr+ than chasing LB times.

So am I, unfortunately I can't do that now due to low B/Band speed so I have to content myself on the Time Trials, though if you know of any alternatives in pro Cars please say.

Platform
    PS4
    Set up some solo races vs AI.
    OR shoot sixxgunjohnny a message on psn. He runs league and casual races.
    Be warned: he's a sadist. Will throw darkness, blinding sun in your eyes, apocalyptic rain and all.
    So be prepared for some hairy situations.
    Even if your speed is slow, broadband latency will let you race online. Mine is slow-ish. But I've raced guys in UK using their mobile phone as a hot-spot to race, and the lag was more than acceptable for close racing.
    Give it a go.
    I'm about to upgrade my internet in a few weeks
    G29 settings.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Sweet, I'll give him a shout ta, I don't want to sign up for PSplus if I can't race online ! I can use my 2 day free trial to see if it's possible, I'll try an AI race but don't know what they're like, Heard some horror stories re PCars AI but not raced against them as yet. as for the apocalyptic weather etc, that's cool though I ain't even raced in the rain on PCars yet so could prove interesting lol, Cheers bud and enjoy your upgraded internet speed

Platform
    PS4
    AI is pretty good offline.
    Last time I raced them at Dubai GP in the GT1s at ~85%. They'll give you a love tap here and there but nothing to send you off. Just gotta make your moves solid. Get past that "b" pillar or they'll cut you off, as if they don't have mirrors/Verstappen.
    Fun.
    Online they're terrible if you're not lobby host.
    G29 settings.