Thread: Setup Hori Apex help

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Setup Hori Apex help

So I just got a Hori Apex wheel. (yes, I know its a really cheap wheel, but as a college student, I cant justify to myself to spend more than this on a gaming device :P )
    However, I cant seem to get the setup working. When I try doing the custom wheel setup, the game doesnt recognize it (when calibrating, nothing registers).
    Ive manage to set it up as a custom game pad with some success. The steering works great, however the foot pedals register as buttons. When I went into the windows game controllers, the pedals do read analog but it also registers as a button which is why I think the game is getting confused.
    Anyone know a way around this? Can I force the game to take the analog readouts instead of the buttons?

Im currently using the PS4 - N setting on the wheel.

Thanks

Platform
    PC
    Did you try to assign buttons and assign the pedals as throttle and brake ?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Yes, however when i try to assign them, the game picks it up as a button press instead of a analog. In windows controllers it shows press the pedal registers both a button press and an analog (button is active if analog is >0)
    It works fine in other driving titles just not this one.

Platform
    PC
    Is it possible to register the wheel and pedals as a different brand, let's say a fanatec or any of the other wheel bases available and see if you then can assign everything manually including analog pedals and steering?

Edit: man that wheel has a lot of options within itself. Did you try using different modes? Normal mode, ps4 modes etc.

Edit 2: did you try to reassign/calibrate the buttons in windows control panel in the game device properties?
    Last edited by ELAhrairah; 09-02-2017 at 11:38.

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Perhaps this might help.....

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by ELAhrairah View Post
    Is it possible to register the wheel and pedals as a different brand, let's say a fanatec or any of the other wheel bases available and see if you then can assign everything manually including analog pedals and steering?

Edit: man that wheel has a lot of options within itself. Did you try using different modes? Normal mode, ps4 modes etc.

Edit 2: did you try to reassign/calibrate the buttons in windows control panel in the game device properties?
    Yes, really only one mode works for the PC, the PS4 N mode which is what Im using. I try registering the wheel as something else, but when I press the pedal, it registers the button instead of the analog.
    The pedals register as x rotation and button 8. The game uses button 8 instead of x rotation.
    Is there a way to manually change the controller settings outside the game? Like is there a file I can open with notepad or something? Then I might be able to force it to use x rotation

As for the video, the person used a PS4, which this wheel works fine with. Im trying to configure it on PC

Platform
    PC
    Unfortunately, you are trying to use a device which is not supported by this title. It's also a device that it doesn't seem there are other users here using. You are likely on your own trying to see what you can do to get it to work and how well it will work if you get that far.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Ok, I found a solution and for anyone thats having the same problem, heres how I solved it:
    It should work with just about any controller/wheel that the game has trouble recognizing correctly
    I found this xbox controller emulator called x360ce. The program allows you to remap your controller buttons to a xbox controller.

So i assigned steering to left stick,
    throttle and brakes were triggers,
    and the other buttons were assigned in a similar fashion.
    Then in the game, you just setup a custom gamepad and it works fine.
    The setup is pretty straight forward.

The steering, with a bit of adjustment in sensitivity, felt similar like how it did when I set it up as a custom wheel. Throttles and brakes register as analog triggers now too.
    Its probably not as accurate as an actually supported wheel but imo, its still much better than the xbox controller I was using.
    first run with the wheel took 20 secs off my previous xbox 1 controller's bmw z4 run on nurburgring
    The following 5 users likes this Post: BullWinkle, ELAhrairah, Mad Al, Mahjik, Roger Prynne

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    It's good to see you have found a solution and thanks for posting so that others can benefit.
    I also found another user with the same wheel using project cars and they got it to work by loading the game with a standard controller and only once loaded do you plug in the wheel. Original post can be found here... https://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/-/Tx3...sin=B01K7JEIOC
    The following user likes this Post: BullWinkle

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I found this out the hard way while screwing up massivley on a F1 career mode race weekend. You have to use the PS4-S setting on the wheel for it to increase the sensitivity and make the foot pedals their own attribute