Thread: Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)

Platform
    XBOX1

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)

Well the time has come where I finally bought a PS4, immediately a PS4 Pro of course since I already have a 4K TV. At first I thought it would be Uncharted 4 that would eventually push me into buying a PS4 since I loved the first 3 games on my PS3 so much. But nope, not interested enough just for this one title. Then I thought it would be GT:Sport but nope, that announcement left me completely could. And then all of the sudden, completely out of nowhere (for me at least since I don't follow upcoming game info that much), comes this attractive open world game called Horizon Zero Dawn. It's a new IP but with games like The Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Far Cry and Fallout under my belt then genre isn't new to me. And I'm a big fan of open world RPGs for sure, it's currently the next thing in line after racing games.

So after viewing a couple of dozens of reviews last night and seeing reviewer after reviewer being extremely enthusiastic I couldn't help but get drawn into that enthusiasm as well and bought a PS4 Pro. Will pick it up in a couple of hours and start downloading this game afterwards (I will go for one of the digital versions since I hate disk swapping).

Anyone else here played this game? I will have a lengthy session tonight for sure so I can post my initial impressions tomorrow.
    XBox One 1TB ~ obutto r3volution ~ Thrustmaster TX + T3PA + TH8A + Leather 28 GT ~ Samsung PS50C7700YS 50" 3D Plasma TV ~ Harman/Kardon Soundsticks III
    my XBox One racing circuit info spreadsheet
    The following user likes this Post: Grijo

Platform
    PS4
    Congratulations for your new console, I hope you have a lot of fun with it . I saw some gameplays and reviews about Horizon Zero Dawn and it looks great. I didn't bought yet, I'll wait a price drop. I love open world games but I'm not a fan of RPG genre, only action open world games like GTA, Red Dead Redemption, Just Cause, Mafia, Watch Dogs, Mad Max, Dead Island...
    I hope you enjoy Horizon Zero Dawn and, if you can, tell me you impressions.

Platform
    XBOX1
    Ok, after playing it for a couple of hours and reaching level 5, these are my first impressions.

1) First of all, HDR is awesome. I already had a 65" 4K HDR TV since late 2015 but never had any HDR source to connect to it. Just for comparison I connected the PS4 Pro directly to the TV for its full 2160p HDR experience in Horizon which was awesome. If I then connect it via my old Yamaha AV-receiver (only supporting 1080p and no HDR) the difference is very much noticeable. Screw 3D and screw VR, for me the future for sure is HDR.

2) Just from the first 30 minutes you can already say that the lore in this game will great. The cutscenes are some of the best I've seen mainly for the tone they set, the voice acting and most importantly the emotion in the characters. Character animations are very smooth and very well done.

3) I know this game is set in the future but I cannot help that it all feels a bit back in time due to the fact that you hang out a lot in nature hunting wildlife nearby tribal encampments. Therefore it feels a lot more like Far Cry Primal, Dragon Age and The Elder Scrolls than let's say the Fall Out series. If you take the quality cut scenes from Dragon Age, the hunting + crafting + atmosphere from Far Cry Primal and the more stealthy combat approach from <insert a stealthy action RPG here> then I think you have Horizon Zero Dawn. The game so far doesn't feel special or unique at all but it just seems to take the best of a lot of other RPG games and uses that in a very unique world. Disclaimer: You start out in a small area of the map with an encampment and some wildlife near it, not much clues yet of the "metal world" long gone. I'm sure as the game progresses the scenery will as well and it might start to look a bit more like Fall Out and a less like Far Cry Primal after all.

4) The machines are FUN! A lot of FUN! So far I only fought 2 types regularly (a third type once which already felt like a mini boss fight ) but I love how they have their strengths and weaknesses. Studying a machine's behavior, revealing it's tracks and discovering it's weak spots is really fun.

5) Overall the game feels extremely polished. Great graphics, great animations, great voice acting, great gameplay, great story, great cutscenes, great music. It all fits so nicely together. This is the polish level of games like FH3 or anything from Blizzard Entertainment.

Still so much to discover though, I haven't even entered one of those dungeons yet nor found those longneck machines which allow you to reveal new parts of the map. After a couple more days playing I'll post an update on the initial impressions.
    Last edited by breyzipp; 05-03-2017 at 22:54.
    XBox One 1TB ~ obutto r3volution ~ Thrustmaster TX + T3PA + TH8A + Leather 28 GT ~ Samsung PS50C7700YS 50" 3D Plasma TV ~ Harman/Kardon Soundsticks III
    my XBox One racing circuit info spreadsheet

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I really like this game, highly recommend! You should of course try GTA V, if you did not have an ocassion to do it before.

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Congrats on your PS4 - Horizon is an excellent game. As ralpf wrote i would also recommend GTA V, especially if you have someone to play it with online. The GTA multiplayer is the most fun i've ever had with a game.