Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 24H Races... Is this a real thing

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzledorph View Post
    So first of all, I just want to put this out there... I am NOT in any way a car guy/buff/huge racing fan and I JUST recently got into this game and have been REALLY enjoying it, to the point where I want to buy a steering wheel/pedals combo to play with. I just got to the end of my second season and accidentally entered the 24H Lehmans race without thinking (it says 24h in the title, idk what I was thinking) so after a frustrating 20 minutes practicing the course and qualifying [ during which I literally couldn't even finish a clean lap because the course is 8.5 miles long and that's a long time to drive perfectly]

Now I realize this is my own issue but I had faith that I could make up the time in the actual race because even when I qualified in poor position I set my difficulty to around 30-35% and I usually end up smoking the AI by 10 seconds myself. Now I understand pointing out the fact that I couldn't race a lap without cutting the track in at least one area accidentally it doesn't inspire confidence in my driving. But can anyone explain why the speed of the other cars all of the sudden seems to have jumped up?

The course has 2 huge straight-aways and I'm pedal to the floor (or trigger to the controller in this case sadly) and they are speeding by me, just seems weird. Is this race tuned harder because It's such an important race historically? or some other reason? Also why is it 2 hours long even set at 1%? 1% of 24h is about 15 minutes. I don't exactly have 2 straight hours to drive in a video game.

Do other people have this time? Or do you spread it across multiple game sessions? Or what do you do? Are you really focusing for 2 hours straight in front of the TV/PC/whatever? I'm legitimately curious here. I even looked up the race because I couldn't believe there was a race for 24 hours straight. I understand now that it is split between three drivers minimum so that's a LITTLE more reasonable but STILL. Bringing that over to a video game... who is racing this course?!
    Well, it's quite possible that you were driving a lower class car, but even driving an LMP1, it means racing against other equally fast and balanced cars. It all comes down to your pace, so if other cars are able to match your pace or possibly even surpass it, then they'll get closer to you and maybe even pass you. Another aspect to underline, is the fact that a moving object (car) leaves a slipstream behind it, which is basically a zone where the air resistance is much lower. So, if you're driving ahead and some other car is able to get inside your slipstream, that car will be able to increase it's acceleration and get closer to you. Try to move from side to side, once in a while, and don't let other cars get advantage from that slipstream.

Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    Know a few guys on PS4 getting together in teams for a proper WEC style endurance racing. I'm talking 6/12/24 hour MP race.
    2 pairs of brothers are at an advantage in that league ATM. All 4 are fast and have even practiced driver swaps on their rigs I'm not sure how well share play feature works but with good connections it might be doable.

Endurance racing is hard.
    WEC, Blancpain, IMSA...
    Plenty of clips on YouTube for you to get a glimpse.
    There's an awesome ~8 minute video of the R18 etron bumper cam blasting about at Le Mans through traffic and at night posting sub 3:30 lap after lap.
    Shareplay is horrible. Lag and picture quality are very much an issue, and we're talking about more or less basic games such as FIFA. Imagine a racing game.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PS4
    Unless you're battling for position, I think lapping being fairly rhythmic you could get away with it once you adjust to the timing and input lag of share play. That's IF the input lag is consistent and the control settings match.
    It's not a good option anyway, not until there's a significant improvement in hardware and infrastructure, by which time the games will be that much more advanced.
    Anyway, having local friends with the same hobby is the way to go for online MP endurance racing. It will be happening, with sim racing seemingly on the rise and further take up in esports and real motorsport teams taking an interest.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    G29 settings.
    The following user likes this Post: joelsantos24

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    The problem with SharePlay is latency, which isn't going to get significantly better any time soon. People complain about LCD TV latency that is measured in 10's of milliseconds. For example, a TV with input lag of 25ms is consider marginal.

Network latency is hard bound by the speed of light. The mass-market use for consumer internet service works fine with network latency around 150ms. Even voice communication works well at latency levels up to around 300ms. For direct interaction with a game, you want <50ms total latency, which is uncommon once you're transmitting over the internet at any significant distance. The only time you see lower latency is when you're either geographically very close, or if you're on the same ISP, which limits the number of network hops.
    PS4 | Thrustmaster T300RS Ferrari Integral
    Inside Sim Racing Wheel Buyer's Guide
    The following 3 users likes this Post: hkraft300, joelsantos24, Wolfe

Platform
    PS4
    If you're that close, may as well go for a drive!
    Share play latency is very much: You see your brake point, you hit the brakes, you miss the corner and you're in the bloody wall... but I'm talking share play between aus and USA, both with average connection.
    Good connection, same country/region it may work. Won't be nice, but it's possible.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    G29 settings.

Platform
    PS4
    Share play latency is very much: You see your brake point, you hit the brakes, you miss the corner and you're in the bloody wall... but I'm talking share play between aus and USA, both with average connection.
    Good connection, same country/region it may work. Won't be nice, but it's possible.
    Yeah, it's a problem. My friends usually try it with FIFA, and it's really disappointing, and we're all living in the same region, mind you.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Aus and USA!? Oh man, that's literally a worst case scenario hahaha! Considering only the speed of light in fiber between Sydney and Miami, you've got about 170 ms of latency that is bound by pure physics. And that's before you factor in either person using WiFi or a crappy ISP, which can add 50 ms.

Just rambling
    PS4 | Thrustmaster T300RS Ferrari Integral
    Inside Sim Racing Wheel Buyer's Guide

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    24 hour endurance racing is great fun. I race in the British 24 hour kart race each year and the whole event is just brilliant fun to do with mates. Although pit duty in the middle of the night can be a killer. Nothing a 3am beer can't fix though ;-)

The best bit has to be the sparks flying off the karts In front of you when its dark. The track is 'lit' but the whole experience of racing in the dark is mind blowing.

Must admit though I would never do it in a game. It's probably just not really the same. It's a great feature though.
    Last edited by TKMSte66; 26-03-2017 at 15:43.