Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 24H Races... Is this a real thing

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

24H Races... Is this a real thing

So first of all, I just want to put this out there... I am NOT in any way a car guy/buff/huge racing fan and I JUST recently got into this game and have been REALLY enjoying it, to the point where I want to buy a steering wheel/pedals combo to play with. I just got to the end of my second season and accidentally entered the 24H Lehmans race without thinking (it says 24h in the title, idk what I was thinking) so after a frustrating 20 minutes practicing the course and qualifying [ during which I literally couldn't even finish a clean lap because the course is 8.5 miles long and that's a long time to drive perfectly]

Now I realize this is my own issue but I had faith that I could make up the time in the actual race because even when I qualified in poor position I set my difficulty to around 30-35% and I usually end up smoking the AI by 10 seconds myself. Now I understand pointing out the fact that I couldn't race a lap without cutting the track in at least one area accidentally it doesn't inspire confidence in my driving. But can anyone explain why the speed of the other cars all of the sudden seems to have jumped up?

The course has 2 huge straight-aways and I'm pedal to the floor (or trigger to the controller in this case sadly) and they are speeding by me, just seems weird. Is this race tuned harder because It's such an important race historically? or some other reason? Also why is it 2 hours long even set at 1%? 1% of 24h is about 15 minutes. I don't exactly have 2 straight hours to drive in a video game.

Do other people have this time? Or do you spread it across multiple game sessions? Or what do you do? Are you really focusing for 2 hours straight in front of the TV/PC/whatever? I'm legitimately curious here. I even looked up the race because I couldn't believe there was a race for 24 hours straight. I understand now that it is split between three drivers minimum so that's a LITTLE more reasonable but STILL. Bringing that over to a video game... who is racing this course?!
    Last edited by Ryzza5; 14-03-2017 at 23:23. Reason: broke into paragraphs

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzledorph View Post
    1) But can anyone explain why the speed of the other cars all of the sudden seems to have jumped up? The course has 2 huge straight-aways and I'm pedal to the floor (or trigger to the controller in this case sadly) and they are speeding by me, just seems weird.
    2) Also why is it 2 hours long even set at 1%? 1% of 24h is about 15 minutes. I don't exactly have 2 straight hours to drive in a video game. Do other people have this time? Or do you spread it across multiple game sessions? Or what do you do? Are you really focusing for 2 hours straight in front of the TV/PC/whatever?
    1) Which car class are you using? Le mans 24hrs invitational has 4 classes: LMP1, LMP2, GT3, GT4; if you're using one of the slower classes it's perfectly normal for faster cars to easily pass you on the straights and even on some turns.
    2) I believe the minimum of 2hrs is because SMS want to maintain the challenge of an endurance race, with pitstop strategies and such. Yes, people who are into race sims do have time and patience for long races. Iirc when I did this race I did 2 stints of 1hr each with a pause of a couple of minutes between each. You could try driving part of the race and let the AI drive the rest but from what I've heard AI has issues with the chicanes and might end up with a DQ for corner cutting.

IRL there are other 24hr races such as Daytona 24hrs & Nurburgring 24hrs. There are endurance championship such as FIA WEC where the shortest race length is 6hrs.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Dizzledorph, hkraft300

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for your response! It was really helpful

I am not sure right now which class I was using but that makes a lot of sense, I will check that out
    Last edited by Dizzledorph; 07-03-2017 at 01:06.

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Endurance racing is great! it involves so much atmosphere, tactics and gives an amazing sense of achievement once you do it (even like 3-6h races do imo).
    I'm planning to run the 24h of le mans in its full 24h glory near the end of march but i'm obviously not driving it myself 100%. You can swap with the AI (turn penalties off due to corner cutting AI) if you need off-time or if you need sleep (i do haha).

Honestly, i got hooked due to visiting the 24h of Spa real life! Night racing is amazing and all of these drivers basically go pedal to the metal around the clock, every second counts =)
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bradleyland, hkraft300

Platform
    PS4
    Know a few guys on PS4 getting together in teams for a proper WEC style endurance racing. I'm talking 6/12/24 hour MP race.
    2 pairs of brothers are at an advantage in that league ATM. All 4 are fast and have even practiced driver swaps on their rigs I'm not sure how well share play feature works but with good connections it might be doable.

Endurance racing is hard.
    WEC, Blancpain, IMSA...
    Plenty of clips on YouTube for you to get a glimpse.
    There's an awesome ~8 minute video of the R18 etron bumper cam blasting about at Le Mans through traffic and at night posting sub 3:30 lap after lap.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    G29 settings.
    The following user likes this Post: bradleyland

Platform
    PC
    Endurance race is where it's at. So much of everything motorsports. Better only when using just two wheels

Seriously though, been THE thing to beat for me for quite a few years now.
    ---
    I'll be back (tm)

AKA RomKnight

| CPU: i5 4670K@4.3GHz | GPU: MSI GTX1080 Gaming X 8GB (375.70) | Mobo: AsRock Z87 Extreme6
    | RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz CL10 | PSU: Corsair CX850M | OS: Win10 x64 | Sound: Asus Xonar DX + Asus Vulcan Pro | C:\>: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
    | Monitor: 3x IPS LG23EA63 @5760x1080 (Bezel Corrected) -- HTC VIVE

| Wheel: CSWv2 w/ CSPv2 (USB) + CSS SQ (driver 261b/fw204+fw1.30) | Damping: 100 | 900
    | In game: Deadzones: 0 |Sensitivity: 50 | Damping: 0 | FFB/TF: 100/70 | Per Wheel Movement: -0.07/0.03/0.01 | DRR/DRF: 0.01/0.01
    | Wheel Profile: Sens: Aut| FF: 100 | SHo: 100 | ABS: OFF | Lin: OFF | Dea: OFF | Dri: OFF | For: 100| Spr: 100 | Dpr: 100
    | Tweakers: None

| Visual FX: Blur: Off | HDR: Photo | Aniso: 16x | AA: DS2X| Vsync: Off (fast v-sync in drivers)| Flare: OFF | FOV: 106 | Grass: Off | Other: envmap/reflections: low - car/track: ultra - shadows: high
    | Driving assists : Off
    | CmdLine: -skipcrowds -dx11mt -pthreads 4

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Fortuna View Post
    Endurance race is where it's at. So much of everything motorsports. Better only when using just two wheels

Seriously though, been THE thing to beat for me for quite a few years now.
    Keeping concentration for 2 hours is my personal hurdle : running a 2 hour race, be competitive and don't hit a wall.
    G29 settings.

Platform
    PC
    who is racing this course?!
    I raced several seasons in career mode, first on PS4, then again on PC.
    Two seasons all races on 100% length. For the 24 (or 25) hr races, I started teaming up with AI (B-spec BOB), but he messed up a few races. So I decided to do the races completely by myself (pausing the whole system when needed, since there is no saving mid race possible). Most stints were around 4 hours. It may sound hard (it sometimes is), but it is great fun.
    Sim-Lab P1 rig with integrated triple monitor brackets, Logitech Z906 5.1, Fanatec CSW V2 base / Porsche 918 RSR / Formula Carbon / SQ shifter / Heusinkveld Pro pedals / Heusinkveld SQ shifter / DSD button box. Creative 7.1 soundcard (x2) / 3 BENQ XL2720Z 144 Hz 27" PC: ASUS Pro Series - Intel i7 4790 (8x 4GHz) - Win10Pro - nVidia GTX 980 ti - 16 GB ddr3 - SSD 256 GB / Buttkicker / PCars Dash

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    All 4 are fast and have even practiced driver swaps on their rigs
    Ideally they should practice pitcrew duties too, like bringing drinks & snacks to whoever is currently driving, check laptimes and pace against other drivers, check pitstop strategies, and obviously whoever is driving needs to be able to drive with 1 hand while using the other hand to throw something at his teammate so that he wakes up and doesn't miss his stint.

Seriously though, I think is pretty cool when people are able to team up for endurance races.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PS4
    Rig cup holder development is in progress. Also the drink doubles as pit radio.

who is racing this course?!
    Circuit de LA Sarthe (aka Le Mans) is one of the oldest race courses and the Le Mans 24 hour is one of the most revered auto race in history.
    If you think le Mans is bad: have you not heard of the Green Hell (Nordschleife)?
    Kids these days
    G29 settings.