Thread: Need for Speed Shift 2 brush tyre model ''bug''??? fix

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

Post Need for Speed Shift 2 brush tyre model ''bug''??? fix

Hello everyone

For the last few years I have been messing around with NFS Shift 2 tyre physics files. Some changes made noticeable difference in handling characteristics more planted cars, better connection with controllers devices etc but... I always had feel there was something missing.

I believe that I have finally found why... Final loads and peak loads figures where for some reason (but not anymore ) 10x lower..On paper they where ok but in game..NO! Just example for modders

LoadSens=(-3.10e-6, 0.40, 15000.0) // Load sensitivity of tire (initial slope, final grip multiplier, final load)
    LatPeak=(0.20, 0.20, 9500.0) // Slip range where lateral peak force occurs depending on load
    LongPeak=(0.20, 0.20, 9500.0) // Slip range where longitudinal peak force occurs depending on load

For all cars 3th values shall be increased 10X or in other words just add one extra 0. and it will look like this

LoadSens=(-3.10e-6, 0.40, 150000.0) // Load sensitivity of tire (initial slope, final grip multiplier, final load)
    LatPeak=(0.20, 0.20, 95000.0) // Slip range where lateral peak force occurs depending on load
    LongPeak=(0.20, 0.20, 95000.0) // Slip range where longitudinal peak force occurs depending on load

And that is all it takes.

Drift orientated drivers will like this fix

Now either they (loads) where reduced on purpose or there was typo within engine code or some other physics control files like physictweaker.mrdf problem is gone

Whatever was case its fixed now and my mod (fix) is available for download on http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=44199

It is unofficial modification for Packed (steam/dvd versions) or Unpacked moddable version of game with all instructions how to instal or uninstall it.

Game still looks amazing and it's fun to play for hours. With this fix/mod in place I see it even better then most newer games on market.

Big thanks and all credits to Slightly Mad Studios and EA games for all great games over the years. I wish you all the best guys and looking forward to see Project Cars 2!

P.S If Ian or someone else from from developers have something to say more about it or point me to what else I can fix/tweak for Shift 2 community feel free to PM me or put it in comments. Cheers !

Small update: Just tested Shift 1 and it has same exact problem LoadSens / LatPeak /LongPeak 3th value also are 10 times lower..which means that problem was carried from Shift 1 to Shift 2...Most logical explanation for this to me was that developer who worked for SMS has done it before he left studio or maybe hes not...after correction cars are perfectly drivable even with keyboard.
    Last edited by B7ake; 08-03-2017 at 00:16.