Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The perfect Sequentiel Downshift

Platform
    PS4
    Fuel consumption (as well as gearbox preservation) is also a factor. Choosing 3rd instead of 2nd in just those corners can save you .1-.2 litres/lap with bugger all effect on pace, help conserve tyres and that can equate to an extra lap or 2 of stint length which is incredibly important in an endurance race.
    Although I'm not sure how much gearbox preservation is a factor considering the reliability of factory built off-the-shelf GT race cars.
    What's also noteworthy is how often sim-racers bash the limiter even on upshifts vs RL. Just watch all the YouTube videos!
    Also power-on exit stability. There are 2 schools of thought on this among race drivers especially in rain. 1 prefer the lower gear that they normally use in the dry, supposedly for better engine response, at the risk of power oversteer. The other prefer a higher gear for less torque output to the rear wheels.

Engine braking effect is conservative in the game. It's not easy to lock the rears on aggressive downshifts and spin. Unless you have reasonably rear-biased brakes like I do where the rears are near the limit and trail-brake+downshift sends the arse end wayward.
    Even F1 and LMP1 driver onboard videos show they're late on the downshift to not be near the limiter.
    Last edited by hkraft300; 14-03-2017 at 21:05.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    G29 settings.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bradleyland, Leonardo Da Vinci

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    FWIW, the #100 retired from this year's Rolex 24 on a dead gearbox. It doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to, but the risk of abuse still keeps drivers conservative in some cases.
    PS4 | Thrustmaster T300RS Ferrari Integral
    Inside Sim Racing Wheel Buyer's Guide
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
    FWIW, the #100 retired from this year's Rolex 24 on a dead gearbox. It doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to, but the risk of abuse still keeps drivers conservative in some cases.
    To finish first, first you must finish!
    I've seen some qualifying on-boards of GT3 cars and they don't do silly downshifts either going flat out. Forget endurance races.
    Goes to show I reckon in RL there's very little braking/pace benefit to aggressive downshifting in modern race cars. Recently got me a 2014 Clio with a dsg and the engine+rolling resistance in that (when I've tried engine braking) is next to nothing and it's a turbo! Race cars would be even more so, with their free flowing exhausts and race tuning. I dare say it's pcars got it fairly close in that respect, though engine and gearbox should cop more damage from over-revs in my opinion.
    TT isn't very representative in sim racing because turn off mech failure and you're stopping on a dime.
    G29 settings.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bradleyland, Leonardo Da Vinci

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Engine displacement (relative to vehicle mass) and compression will have a lot to do with it as well. I had a MkV GTI with the DSG transmission and a 2.0t engine. Very little engine braking.

My last car, however, was an E92 M3 DCT (I live in the US, land of the cheap automobile), and the engine braking on that thing could unsettle the car. It was actually one of the very, very short list of things I didn't like about the car. It wasn't so much the engine braking as it was the fuel cut-out (modern cars cut the fuel when you coast).

So, let's say you're on a mountain road, running downhill. There are a lot of cases where you're going to be at or near zero throttle. You're kind of feathering it, never really going flat out. In these situations, I could feel the fuel cut-out constantly kicking on and off, and remarkably, the difference in engine braking between idle-fuel and no-fuel would actually buck the car a little. There were definitely mid-corner moments where it startled me a little. I would find myself intentionally coasting to the apex, even if I could have carried a little more speed, just to avoid it.

Not to mention, if you grabbed a high RPM downshift in that thing mid corner, it'd flat out break the rear loose (if you had stability control off). The throttle mapping was pretty robust, so you really had to try, but that car had engine braking like no other car I've owned. I can only imagine something like the Shelby GT350, with a 5.2L, high-compression, high-revving V8. That thing must be insane!
    PS4 | Thrustmaster T300RS Ferrari Integral
    Inside Sim Racing Wheel Buyer's Guide
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PS4
    You'd reckon an M3, of all things, would have that behaviour sorted!
    G29 settings.

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimeyDog View Post
    I keep Mechanical Failure on!!! I have Blow the Motor Many Times Down Shifting to Quick or Missing a Gear... Going from 4th to First Blows the Motor every time!!! LOL.... Practice make perfect tnough.... I Now have a Good Feel for the Shifter so even using VR i rarely Miss a Gear Now.
    Yeah, did that once on the BMW Pro Car. Wanted to go from 4th to 5th, but went to 3rd and dropped the clutch hard. Pouff! no engine.