Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pCARS 2 and VR

Platform
    PC
    LOL! At first, I had my son holding the dumb controller while I drove. It mush have looked ridiculous, me driving with VR gear on and him holding a controller in front of me...oh the workarounds we come up with!!!! LOL. I'll def be in on the next project. Thx!
    PC: Intel Haswell Core i7 5820K (water cooled); ASUS X99-Pro ATX 2011-3 Motherboard; Crucial 16GB 4x4 DDR4 2400 DIMM; EVGA nVIDIA GeFORCE GTX 1080; TrackIR, ButtKicker Gmr2
    Wheel: Fanatec CSW V2, CSR Elite Pedals; HTC Vive; Widows 10; NVIDIA driver 372.70

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Around 6 months since the last post, so can anyone share how the VR interface is w/in the Rift? I heard good things from the PC2 series vid (ie. controls available, adjustable) but not much details. Will the UI/menu settings in main screen and pits be controllable already w/in the Rift? Is a mouse needed for the HMD pointer, or will the pointer follow the movement of the HMD, and if the latter, how is a selection made?
    Last edited by sherpa25; 11-09-2017 at 11:32.
    PC: GB Z87X-UD3H-CF (W10-x64) | Intel i5-4670k (4.2GHz 1.130V) | GSkill (2x8GB) | GB GTX980Ti | Oculus Rift CV1 | XFX 650W CE | 2xSamsung Evo 250GB SSD
    Gear: T300RS / G27 pedals (Ricmotech Load Cell) | WSP v2

Platform
    PC
    Think of PC2 VR as similar but improved on the PC1 VR. You have the HMD controlled cursor, which you can line up and then click with a button on your wheel or controller (basically the normal 'select' button). If you move your mouse, that then takes priority and you can move and select with the mouse until you stop and after a few seconds of staring still, the HMD cursor appears again. It will also do that thing where holding it over something will auto select after about five seconds.
    Like I said, it's similar to PC1, but it works well overall and is a slick and seamless process. You can pretty much control everything in the game with the headset and your hands on the wheel, you never need to come out of VR at all.
    i5-6600K/Zotac GTX 1070 AMP/Win10 64bit/16Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following user likes this Post: sherpa25

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
    Think of PC2 VR as similar but improved on the PC1 VR. You have the HMD controlled cursor, which you can line up and then click with a button on your wheel or controller (basically the normal 'select' button). If you move your mouse, that then takes priority and you can move and select with the mouse until you stop and after a few seconds of staring still, the HMD cursor appears again. It will also do that thing where holding it over something will auto select after about five seconds.
    Like I said, it's similar to PC1, but it works well overall and is a slick and seamless process. You can pretty much control everything in the game with the headset and your hands on the wheel, you never need to come out of VR at all.
    Though I don't have PC1, nor have I seen it in VR, that sounds great! So this control is available at the very start of the UI?

Further, can you elaborate a bit re VR control of HUD's when on pits or on track, like what adjustments can (or cannot) be made w/ them? Thanks.
    PC: GB Z87X-UD3H-CF (W10-x64) | Intel i5-4670k (4.2GHz 1.130V) | GSkill (2x8GB) | GB GTX980Ti | Oculus Rift CV1 | XFX 650W CE | 2xSamsung Evo 250GB SSD

Platform
    PC
    Yes the HMD cursor works from the moment you boot up the game, it's basically like a mouse cursor but you control its position with your head, it's very quick and efficient. The HUD control is as normal, so you cycle through the various screens with D-pad Left and they kind of float in space in the cockpit in front of you. To be honest, I always turn all HUD screens off in VR, it's much more immersive for me, but I might have a quick scroll through to check tyre temps, race position etc now and then if I need to.
    i5-6600K/Zotac GTX 1070 AMP/Win10 64bit/16Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following user likes this Post: sherpa25

Platform
    PC
    The UI in the VR implementation from Project Cars 1 was already good and it's even more polished in Project Cars 2.
    Wheel: Fanatec CSL ELite PS4, CSL Elite Pedale LC, Thrustmaster TH8A Add-On Shifter
    System: Win 10 x64 / Intel Core i7 6700K / 16GB RAM / Palit GeForce GTX 1080 Super Jetstream 8 GB
    Monitor: AOC C3583FQ 35" 21:9 (2560x1080)
    VR Headset: HTC Vive (SteamVR / OpenVR)

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Yes the HMD cursor works from the moment you boot up the game, it's basically like a mouse cursor but you control its position with your head, it's very quick and efficient. The HUD control is as normal, so you cycle through the various screens with D-pad Left and they kind of float in space in the cockpit in front of you. To be honest, I always turn all HUD screens off in VR, it's much more immersive for me, but I might have a quick scroll through to check tyre temps, race position etc now and then if I need to.
    Can the HUD positions be adjusted (ie. Left/right, and nearer/farther from view), or are they in fixed positions? Thanks.

Platform
    PC
    That's a good question. I haven't tried that exact thing, but you can certainly alter the positions of HUD elements in 2D, so I can't see how it would be any different in VR. Trouble is we can't test any more as the WMD2 Steam keys have been revoked in preparation for release. I guess we'll all have to wait for the 22nd to find out for definite.

I don't think anyone will be disappointed in PC2 VR implementation though, it's overall an extremely slick experience and as good as any game out there that isn't designed primarily as a VR title, so IMO it is the best racing title I have tried in VR (AC, LFS, rFactor) and better implemented than say DCS or X-Plane 11 + flyinside. One of the top devs on the team is a big fan of VR, so he made sure they did a good job. It is noticeably improved from PC1 in every way I can think of.

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following 2 users likes this Post: beetes_juice, sherpa25

Platform
    PC
    You can position the HUD elements anywhere on the screen but not distance (far/near) as far as I'm aware.

I second what John H said above. Of all the current racing sim VR implementations PC1 was slicker than most, PC2 is just click go and it works from the first screen. No messing about whatsoever.
    Game Rig: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 | 12GB RAM | Intel Xeon X5670 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GeForce GTX980ti | 3x 24" LED monitors | Oculus Rift | Thrustmaster T500RS | Windows 10 | GT Omega Pro Cockpit
    The following 2 users likes this Post: rocho, sherpa25

WMD Member
    The career mode video released recently had a small section with VR improvements. Being able to move UI elements or have them off to the side so they're not visible while looking ahead (as I do with AC) was mentioned. Being able to adjust mirrors which I've not seen in any other game was another.

IB has mentioned several times that he wants to be at the forefront of new tech incorporated into pC2 and it looks like they've thought a lot about VR and are set to deliver the best experience yet.