Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making setups more accessible

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

Making setups more accessible

Hi guys,

I don't know where to write this but here it goes.

As a die hard sim racer, I like how you brought a wider audience to the genre. However I would love to see you democratized setups in consoles.

Some place in project cars 2 in the menus to have a pit lane area, where people can share setups and easily load them on cars. Moreover, in the leaderboards the ability for people to make their setups public if they want and for people to actually copy the setup they wish to try out.

A nice looking area where you would see your driver character, standing next to the pit crew looking at the selected car and where you could browse a bank of community generated setups for different races. Qualifying, short races, stability etc...

I think it would make the game even more engaging and bring on-board or make the game ever friendlier to people who don't like the default setups and find the going on the web and manually copying setups comber some.

Ultimately, it's about the driver and you could see people who enjoy sharing their setups take more notoriety in the community and help lenghten and broaden the game.

I would gladly share more of this idea should you ever want more feedback, all I want is this game to be legendary.

Setups are a huge part of the game and making it take a more approachable stance would be a winner in my opinion. I don't know about you but it's over 25% of my time in PCars

Moreover, once you copy the setup, have a skippable animation where you see the crew work on each part of the setup and their progress so that everyone can enjoy seeing a car being worked on but also how it is actually performed. Like how gearing changes are made, toe, camber and all of that so that people can actually understand what is being physically tweaked on the car.

Keep up the good work and long live !

Platform
    PC
    Setups are very much improved in pCARS2.
    Addressing expectations on realism and simulation - Project CARS PC Leaderboards - Learn how to race properly - Forum Resources for Pcars
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A good explanation of the different tyre types - FFB Guide - Official FFB Guide - A new home for all your setups - How to use the Advance Search
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 378.66)| Displays: 50" LG 4K UHD TV 3840x2160 @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim brake mod (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - Anniversary

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I have to admit I am underwhelmed to say the least by this response. I was sent to post this here after flying it by a project cars official and was expecting a bit more of an open ear rather than a thank you but go away.

Platform
    PC
    Thanks for taking the time to share those ideas here. I'm not sure exactly how it will all be presented as far as animations etc go, but I have read posts saying how Setups will be shareable, an external sharing website won't be required, and ease of use targeting a more casual audience is all in the works for Project CARS 2. No doubt the team will be eager to see what players think of it.

MB Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe // CPU Intel i5 3570K // RAM G.Skill 16GB DDR3 @2133MHz // GPU Gigabyte nVidia Titan X // HDD 4x 2TB Western Digital // SSD Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

CPU Cooler Corsair H80 // Case CoolerMaster 650 Silencio // Display ASUS PG34Q 34" 3440x1400 100Hz G-SYNC LCD // Speakers Logitech Z5500-D 5.1ch // OS Windows 10 Pro x64// Build Default Parameters (x64 DX11 not gold)

VR Oculus Rift CV1 // Wheel Fanatec CSR Elite // Pedals Fanatec Clubsport // Shifter Thrustmaster TH8RS with InterfaceOne wheel adapter // Head Tracking TrackIR v4 // Audio Transducer ButtKicker Gamer v2.0 // Seat PlaySeat Executive

Platform
    PS4
    Don't care for the animations but what Ryzza5 said about the setup sharing is the big step. It's been mentioned/revealed for pcars2 but any detailed gameplay/functionality footage is yet to be released by SMS.
    Right now on console I'm sending screenshots of my pcars setups for my mates to copy them manually.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    You put your left pedal in, You take your left pedal out,
    You put your right pedal in, And you slide it all about...
    G29 settings.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: bradleyland, Mowzer, Rambo_Commando

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Sharable setups are going to be huge. I used to play a sim racer called Live for Speed, which had the ability to "send setup" to anyone in the game. Practice sessions take on a whole new dynamic when you're hanging out with some friends, tweaking & exchanging setups.

It's also a great way for newcomers to learn how setups affect the car. I've spent many a night in a PSN Party with someone new to setup tuning trying to verbally explain what settings to change. It's a bit... uh... cumbersome. It'd be really great to simply create a setup and send it to them so they can try it out immediately.
    PS4 | Thrustmaster T300RS Ferrari Integral
    Inside Sim Racing Wheel Buyer's Guide
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PS4
    Used to do that! It's fantastic.
    2 guys in a private lobby running test laps. We'd diverge on setups, one might find a tweak that works and the lap times drop so we share it and vice versa.
    It's double the development time.
    But yes the setup sharing will be fantastic. Guys running default setups won't be disadvantaged if they're struggling for test time but want to race competitive.
    I enjoy shooting a base tune for guys who are struggling for a league race, just as much as finding someone 3+ seconds faster than me to do some laps in my setup and give me feedback to improve it.
    G29 settings.
    The following user likes this Post: bradleyland

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Don't care for the animations mentioned in the opening post, but I'm really looking forward to the setup improvements in pCars2.

One thing I hope is better are the explanations for every setting available. Right now they are a bit difficult to understand, took me forever to figure out which way to drag the slider in some of them. For instance, the camber the description says 'Increasing the camber angle can have a positive effect on but may impair acceleration and braking', but if you drag the slider to the right (which sounds like increasing to me) the negative angle gets smaller.

And the description on limited slip acceleration lock says 'High settings here gives the car better traction coming out of corners, but limit your ability to turn. Lower settings reverse this making it easier to turn but with the possibility of wheelspin on exit of tight corners' which is the opposite of what it should say.

Platform
    PS4
    Yes and no.
    Agree "increasing camber angle" can be misconstrued as "increase towards positive" for those not in the know. The use of the word "magnitude" may make it a touch more accurate. Getting a better understanding of alignment settings need diagrams and can get very in-depth with suspension and tyre kinematics.
    Same as differentials. Just have a search for the diff talk in the garage section.
    The explanations are probably too basic and therefore can easily give the wrong idea. If you're getting into tuning there's a fair bit of study involved: which will be more or less negated by setup sharing for most.
    G29 settings.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    One thing I love about pCARS is that they use the actual units & measurements you'd find on a real car. I hate how certain competing sims *cough* AC *cough* use generic numbers. What the hell does "7" mean? I really hope pCARS 2 keeps the actual units, even if the learning curve is a little steep.

What's really required is that the player do some reading/watching about how actual suspension systems work. It might not be a bad idea for SMS to create a small learning resource, with video content that covers the very basics of each adjustment. Digging around on the internet, things can get deep pretty fast.
    PS4 | Thrustmaster T300RS Ferrari Integral
    Inside Sim Racing Wheel Buyer's Guide
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300