Thread: Thrustmaster Ferarri 458 Italia steering wheel problem

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

Unhappy Thrustmaster Ferarri 458 Italia steering wheel problem

Hi, I have this steering wheel and the game won't play nice with it at all.

I am playing a couple other racing sims, like DiRT and F1 and other racing games, a little less sim, such as ToCA Race Driver. I love all of these games, the cars feels great in all of them, especially when turning off all assists, and my steering wheel works perfectly with them.

The first time I entered a PCars race, I got unbelievably bad steering response from the game. The control was so bad that I couldn't hold the car on the road not even at slow speed. I spent one week fiddling with the *undocumented* controller settings hoping to get at least a decent setup to be able to drive (btw, why don't you document the controller settings? it feels like a very unfinished game without this, trial and error is very frustrating).
    The main problem is that I have a huge dead zone in the middle - I did set the deadzone to 0 in settings but still had no effect. Turning the wheel about 30 degrees either way does nothing. You can understand how bad that is when trying to drive at over 100 km/h. Then the car suddenly starts to steer, but in a very unnatural kind of way, no matter how I adjust the settings - it's either to sudden from the begining, making small adjustments impossible, or very unresponsive at the other end of the "sensitivity" until I turn the wheel enough that it steers to sudden, making me lose control.
    Another issue is with the accelerator/break - no matter how low I adjust the sensitivity (I use 5% currently) it's too sensitive. Just pressing the pedal 1 mm will either spin the wheels or lock them. It's impossible to be smooth with the car this way.
    I tried and I tried, I've entered hundreds of races over the last few weeks, but finished only a couple, because most of the times I got frustrated, quit, adjust settings, start over.
    I tried many different presets (there is no preset for my steering wheel), and the least bad was the generic low-fi one, but still hardly usable.
    I really wanted to like this game but it's making it impossible for me, every time I start it I quit in frustration, not because of the game itself, but because it feels like I'm trying to drive the car pulling rubber chords attached from the wheel - the steering is awful.
    I want the game be fixed. I want to play it.
    So please consider supporting this wheel and making the game work properly with it, since it's quite a popular wheel from my research.
    And like I mentioned, I play a lot of other racing games, and the wheel works perfectly with all of them, I had absolutely no problem whatsoever. I can drive an F1 car quite on the edge in F1 2012, but in Project Cars I can hardly hold a straight line.

My setup:
    PC - Windows 7 x64
    8 GB DDR3
    Intel Core2 Quad
    NVidia GeForce GTX 570
    controller: Thrustmaster Ferarri 458 Italia (no FFB)

Platform
    PC
    If it's the regular 458 wheel, it's not supported by Project CARS. There are some old posts about trying to get it to work, but I haven't really seen any successful posts about it:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1131483
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | 2x EVGA GTX 970 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | 2x Buttkickers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    Known Issues

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I know it's not officially supported, but I'm now having the problem you linked to (that post said the wheel doesn't work at all, is not recognized, or makes the game crash). My wheel works, it just gets an awful response from the game. It works perfectly fine with all other games, so it's not the wheel that's broken, it's the game.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bog2k3 View Post
    It works perfectly fine with all other games, so it's not the wheel that's broken, it's the game.
    It's clearly spelled out that this wheel is not supported. The game is not broken.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | 2x EVGA GTX 970 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | 2x Buttkickers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    Known Issues
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bradleyland, Remco Van Dijk

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    It's clearly spelled out that this wheel is not supported. The game is not broken.
    I know it's not officially supported. But why? That's just an excuse for not bothering to actually make it behave well in the game. Since the wheel works fine in other games, I assume it's not such an exotic piece of hardware that it would take too much work to actually tune the game for it. Not supporting it - and by the way, the list of officially supported wheels is surprisingly small - looks like laziness to me. Just my opinion.
    Now, I don't want to offend anyone and don't want to put this game in a bad light, since it's actually a pretty good game, but this aspect really breaks it for me. I wish I could enjoy it the way it should be enjoyed.

Platform
    PC
    The difference between pCARS and other titles is that pCARS is programmed to use the manufacturer's driver API's. The other titles just treat the devices as generic USB devices without using manufacturer API's. The latter can make anything "work", but the former allows the developers to use manufacturer specific API functions to take advantage of their unique features. If you pay a lot of money for a wheel, you want to use it's specific and unique features.

Forum Rules
    Known Issues
    The following user likes this Post: bradleyland

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by bog2k3 View Post
    I know it's not officially supported. But why? That's just an excuse for not bothering to actually make it behave well in the game. Since the wheel works fine in other games, I assume it's not such an exotic piece of hardware that it would take too much work to actually tune the game for it. Not supporting it - and by the way, the list of officially supported wheels is surprisingly small - looks like laziness to me. Just my opinion.
    Now, I don't want to offend anyone and don't want to put this game in a bad light, since it's actually a pretty good game, but this aspect really breaks it for me. I wish I could enjoy it the way it should be enjoyed.
    And you sound like an entitled little brat. Just my opinion.

Stings, eh? See how that works?

Of course, you're obviously not an entitled little brat. How would I know? I don't know you, just like you don't know the developers, and you don't know what effort is required to support different wheels in the way that they do (with specific drivers per wheel).
    PS4 | Thrustmaster T300RS Ferrari Integral
    Inside Sim Racing Wheel Buyer's Guide