Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random Black screen white running P Cars on Triples

Platform
    PC
    Sounds like it could be a heating problem on one of your cards(or both). Have you checked them out for dust buildup on fans/heatsink?

Best way is to remove them, take off shrouds and blast them with some air if there in bad shape. Install EVGA Precision and keep an eye on the GPU temps while in Project Cars. ( I think you'l have to switch between GPU's for each check.)

One other thing you can try is to switch the cards in the pci-e slots to see if it makes any difference (thermally, if one card is heating up).

If it is a issue with one of your cards, running Steam/Project Cars in Offline mode probably won't be much help in solving the problem. I would say, monitor your GPU temps first, take it from there.
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard / AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core CPU@4.0Ghz / 8GB G.Skill RipJaws 2X4GB DDR3-1866,
    Samsung 250GB 850 EVO (SSD) / SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX480 8GB/OC 1342Mhz / Crimson ReLive 17.4.3 Drivers.
    TrackIR 5, ver 5.2 final drivers |Logitech G27
    240 Gig HD | Claro Plus++ sound card | Win7_64 | BenQ V2400W | Corsair TX850W Power Supply

In-game settings: @ 1920 X 1200 | Texture Rez HIGH | Post Filter On | LensFlare OFF | Bloom OFF | Haze OFF | Detailed Grass-Med | HDR Photo | Tex Filter 16x | Game_VSync OFF | SMAA Off | FXAA Off |Reflections MED | Vehicle Ultra | Track Ultra | Shadows MED | Motion Blur OFF | Render Ahead 2 |
    Steam CMD line Options:-dx11mt -pthreads 4 -fpscap 60 -skipcrowds -skipidiots

Proud to be a 5% club member
    Steam : Bullwinkle
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Remco Van Dijk, Roger Prynne

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I am going to try and get Precision loaded and working this evening and give things a try. I have some family plans for Easter so will not get to the " Dust Patrol " till early next week. If I don't reply right away I have not given up just OD'd on Easter Bunny chocolate. Thanks to all who have helped so far looking forward to solving this issue so I can look forward to P Cars 2.

Cheers

Old Racer
    The following user likes this Post: BullWinkle

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Gentlemen

Ok, back from Vacation and have done some cleaning on the Vid cards, they were not very dusty but cleaned them anyway. I have installed EVGA Precision X and got it set up to display the GPU temps ect on screen while running. While running some practice laps with 15 AI cars on track here are the results ...
    GPU #1 - Temp 73, Fan at 90 %, GPU #2 - Temp 62, Fan at 74 %. FPS was 130+ at 144hz, 7680 x 1440. Are the cards ( GPU #1 in particular ) running a bit hot for almost 100% fan speed ? I can see if I had more cars or the details bumped up the card would get into the red zone. I really don't need 130 FPS, and at 144hz it's a bit of overkill. If I limit the FPS and lower the refresh rate will this help get the cards a bit cooler or are there other things to look at for solutions ?

Thks in advance for the help

Old Racer

Platform
    PC
    I would try limiting the frame rate/lowering refresh rate yes, see how it gets along, keep an eye on temps. One thing you can try if you feel comfortable doing, is re-doing the thermal paste on GPU/Heatsink. Not sure how abused your cards are, or not., but after years of use and toasty temps the thermal paste can deteriorate/dry out somewhat, and a fresh application of thermal paste can drop the temps down abit.
    The temps you posted don't look too bad though to be honest. Something to consider though (last resort) if your still having issues.
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard / AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core CPU@4.0Ghz / 8GB G.Skill RipJaws 2X4GB DDR3-1866,
    Samsung 250GB 850 EVO (SSD) / SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX480 8GB/OC 1342Mhz / Crimson ReLive 17.4.3 Drivers.
    240 Gig HD | Claro Plus++ sound card | Win7_64 | BenQ V2400W | Corsair TX850W Power Supply

In-game settings: @ 1920 X 1200 | Texture Rez HIGH | Post Filter On | LensFlare OFF | Bloom OFF | Haze OFF | Detailed Grass-Med | HDR Photo | Tex Filter 16x | Game_VSync OFF | SMAA Off | FXAA Off |Reflections MED | Vehicle Ultra | Track Ultra | Shadows MED | Motion Blur OFF | Render Ahead 2 |

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Gentlemen

I have lowered the refresh rate down to 120 hz and increased the Fan speed to 100% through Precision when the GPU's hit 70 deg C. I ran a 20 lap race with 15 AI on the track with no Black screens or stuttering. Here are the details ... GPU #1 - Temp 67, Fan speed 94%, GPU # 2 - Temp 58, Fan speed 68% I managed an average of 106 FPS with no faults or screen hiccups. I think I have solved my " Black Screen " problem, What I mean is you have all helped me solve what appears to be my overheating problem. I am going to look into some additional fan cooling and wanted to get some idea's from you about software to control the PSU and the CPU coolers. I am sure they are running at default fan curves and I may be able to get some additional cooling done in the case by bumping them up a bit.

Thanks again ...

Old Racer

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Racer View Post
    Gentlemen

I have lowered the refresh rate down to 120 hz and increased the Fan speed to 100% through Precision when the GPU's hit 70 deg C. I ran a 20 lap race with 15 AI on the track with no Black screens or stuttering. Here are the details ... GPU #1 - Temp 67, Fan speed 94%, GPU # 2 - Temp 58, Fan speed 68% I managed an average of 106 FPS with no faults or screen hiccups. I think I have solved my " Black Screen " problem, What I mean is you have all helped me solve what appears to be my overheating problem. I am going to look into some additional fan cooling and wanted to get some idea's from you about software to control the PSU and the CPU coolers. I am sure they are running at default fan curves and I may be able to get some additional cooling done in the case by bumping them up a bit.

Thanks again ...

Old Racer
    Good news.

One thing I forgot to mention is the power supply, depending on it's location ( if it sits on bottom of case) the screen/filter (bottom of case)used for the power supply can quickly get clogged with dust, starving the PSU from airflow. Just something to check if you haven't yet. Precision software should probably do the job to control your fans, other solutions could be fan-controllers if you want more control.
    https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...=-1&isNodeId=1