Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 (April 2017)

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 (April 2017)

My main workstation (and sim machine) received Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 night before last. At this time PCars 64 (11.2) will hang on launch if any UDP companion app (in my case PCars Profiler and Crew Chief) is running.

The nature of the application hang is such the application will launch, the screen will flash, and the desktop will reappear with a PCars icon in the taskbar. Additionally, normal start-up sounds will be heard, indicating PCars is in fact launching normally. However, neither clicking the icon nor alt-tabbing will not bring PCars to the foreground.

Closing the companion app(s) and killing the hung PCars 64 process in Task Manager will restore PCars to a normal state on next launch.

The condition exists if either one or both of the companion apps are running, and it occurs whether or the functionality of the respective companion app has been initiated (PCars Profiler "server start", Crew Chief "start application." In other words, the mere existence of a loaded but not started companion app will cause PCars 64 to hang on launch.

The only information in the event log is the notification from Task Manager that PCars was terminated.

I have verified all hardware drivers are current.

I suspect (rather obviously) the break is on Microsoft, as the Edge browser has gone to flashing on open (e.g. opens, then closes immediately). A few other anomalies lead me believe the issue is display driver related. For the record I run 3 monitors in Eyefinity using an AMD R7 370, driver 17.2.1, on a AMD FX-8350 processor and 32gb memory.

Troubleshooting steps so far:

- Rollback update - works, but MS will be happy to roll out again unless you take extraordinary measures.
    - Verify drivers - No impact on issue
    - Install/Reinstall companion apps - No impact on issue
    - In PCars shut down shared memory - No impact
    - In PCars shut down UDP - No impact
    - Disable Eyefinity - PCars hangs, BUT closing a companion app on an adjacent screen and then clicking the PCars application icon on the task bar DOES restore PCars to the foreground.

Hmmmmm...

Enable Eyefinity, start Companion Apps *and servers*, minimize app windows, start PCars - PCars goes to minimized state, but clicking the icon RESTORES PCars to normal function.

So, there it is.

Obviously an issue has been created by the Windows update, but the above is a workaround.

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by belaki; 14-04-2017 at 15:36.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Cthulhu, Sankyo

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by belaki View Post
    My main workstation (and sim machine) received Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 night before last. At this time PCars 64 (11.2) will hang on launch if any UDP companion app (in my case PCars Profiler and Crew Chief) is running.

The nature of the application hang is such the application will launch, the screen will flash, and the desktop will reappear with a PCars icon in the taskbar. Additionally, normal start-up sounds will be heard, indicating PCars is in fact launching normally. However, neither clicking the icon nor alt-tabbing will not bring PCars to the foreground.

Closing the companion app(s) and killing the hung PCars 64 process in Task Manager will restore PCars to a normal state on next launch.

The condition exists if either one or both of the companion apps are running, and it occurs whether or the functionality of the respective companion app has been initiated (PCars Profiler "server start", Crew Chief "start application." In other words, the mere existence of a loaded but not started companion app will cause PCars 64 to hang on launch.

The only information in the event log is the notification from Task Manager that PCars was terminated.

I have verified all hardware drivers are current.

I suspect (rather obviously) the break is on Microsoft, as the Edge browser has gone to flashing on open (e.g. opens, then closes immediately). A few other anomalies lead me believe the issue is display driver related. For the record I run 3 monitors in Eyefinity using an AMD R7 370, driver 17.2.1, on a AMD FX-8350 processor and 32gb memory.

Troubleshooting steps so far:

- Rollback update - works, but MS will be happy to roll out again unless you take extraordinary measures.
    - Verify drivers - No impact on issue
    - Install/Reinstall companion apps - No impact on issue
    - In PCars shut down shared memory - No impact
    - In PCars shut down UDP - No impact
    - Disable Eyefinity - PCars hangs, BUT closing a companion app on an adjacent screen and then clicking the PCars application icon on the task bar DOES restore PCars to the foreground.

Hmmmmm...

Enable Eyefinity, start Companion Apps *and servers*, minimize app windows, start PCars - PCars goes to minimized state, but clicking the icon RESTORES PCars to normal function.

So, there it is.

Obviously an issue has been created by the Windows update, but the above is a workaround.

Hope this helps someone.
    Windows creator app hasnt just created issues with these apps its created issues with the computers in general my computer is running slower now after the creator update than it was before. and this is with out Pcars running its much worse when it is. the creator update should of had optional updates. i had no problem with the old paint program, i never use microsoft edge as i prefer Firefox and Chrome. thats just my opinion though. they just did the update on me this week

https://superuser.com/questions/1200...igh-end-laptop
    Last edited by dault3883; 29-04-2017 at 20:24.
    Jackie Stewart - "Sometimes you need to ease off in order to go faster"
    Ayrton Senna - “If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver”
    Steam ID: Dault3883 If u add me on steam send message on forum with ur steam id. If i dont know who the steam friend request belongs to i will ignore it.

Platform
    PC
    Have you disabled the Base Filtering Engine and the Windows Firewall services, to see if the udp applications work ?
    Game-Rig: Intel i7 4770S | eVGA GTX 1080 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix | Asus Z87-A | BenQ Zowie XL2730 | Microsoft Windows 10 | Logitech z5500 5.1 Digital | Thrustmaster TS-PC | Thrustmaster T3PA-Pro | Thrustmaster TH8A | Natural Point Track IR 4 | Playseats Evolution
    Server: Intel L5639 Xeon | Asus P6T | 12GB Corsair Vengeance | 128GB Crucial SSD | CentOS 7.4 | Linux Kernel 4.14 | pCars˛ Dedicated Server: Beale St. Blues | Steam: Visceral_Syn

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Visceral_Syn View Post
    Have you disabled the Base Filtering Engine and the Windows Firewall services, to see if the udp applications work ?
    i use nortons always have so the firewall has never been used. Point is that windows screwed up everything with this update. Updates are supposed to make the system better not worst. this is a problem Windows needs to fix. none of my settings have changed. I know how my system ran before the update. Im on my laptop every day i know how it behaves. It behaved this way when they forced Windows 10 on me from 8.1. My comment was only assuring the person i quoted that he wasnt the only one with that exact problem.
    Ayrton Senna - “If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver”
    Steam ID: Dault3883 If u add me on steam send message on forum with ur steam id. If i dont know who the steam friend request belongs to i will ignore it.

Platform
    PC
    If you do not disabled the base filtering engine, and then windows firewall services, then the windows firewall service is on, it can and usually blocks all network connections. Microsoft makes windows how they want to, gamers configure windows how they need it....
    Game-Rig: Intel i7 4770S | eVGA GTX 1080 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix | Asus Z87-A | BenQ Zowie XL2730 | Microsoft Windows 10 | Logitech z5500 5.1 Digital | Thrustmaster TS-PC | Thrustmaster T3PA-Pro | Thrustmaster TH8A | Natural Point Track IR 4 | Playseats Evolution
    Server: Intel L5639 Xeon | Asus P6T | 12GB Corsair Vengeance | 128GB Crucial SSD | CentOS 7.4 | Linux Kernel 4.14 | pCars˛ Dedicated Server: Beale St. Blues | Steam: Visceral_Syn

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Visceral_Syn View Post
    If you do not disabled the base filtering engine, and then windows firewall services, then the windows firewall service is on, it can and usually blocks all network connections. Microsoft makes windows how they want to, gamers configure windows how they need it....
    ur not listening Windows creator update has effected the way my computer RUNS ALL TOGETHER NOT just when im playing games. Its affected and slowed down something as simple as booting up the computer to opening up google chrome. THE ENTIRE COMPUTER has slowed down after this update.

Platform
    PC
    Even Microsoft knows they have screwed up there telling people not to install google chrome update.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...eators_update/

Only problem is i didnt choose to install it. Windows forced the installation on my laptop against my will

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    I've got 'Defer Feature Updates' turned on in the Windows Update advanced settings, so haven't got it yet.
    Heard a lot of bad stories though.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Prynne View Post
    I've got 'Defer Feature Updates' turned on in the Windows Update advanced settings, so haven't got it yet.
    Heard a lot of bad stories though.
    how do i turn that on can you show screen shot of how to get to it

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Just go to settings - update & security - windows update - advanced options.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you