Thread: Hybrid LMP1 cars

Platform
    PC

Hybrid LMP1 cars

(specifically the Toyota) What's the "best" technique for deploying full power and harvesting it properly? I never harvest enough and I never have enough energy to deploy so most of the time I feel like I'm pootling at 160 odd mph. Do you brake early and more gently for longer recharge time or brake later and harder? I try to leave off full throttle till around 5 gear or so then upshift early to get into 7th as soon as possible but I'm really not sure what is the best thing to do. Should I take off wing to increase top speed? I'm presuming the real car has an "indent" so the driver knows from the feel of the pedal when he's at maximum throttle BEFORE deploying electric, hard to judge and I feel I'm leeching too much energy before reaching top speed. I also presume the real drivers are advised by strategists where and when is best to harvest and deploy depending on each track? I must admit from a driving point of view this whole harvest and deploy malarky is not really all that fun.
    Intel Core i5 3570K @3.80ghz - GTX1060 6gb - 8GB ram - Win 7 64bit - 26"LCD tv 1360x768, dx11 - Fanatec CSR wheel, CSR elite pedals FW756 driver 205
    "something, something, something....darkside"

Platform
    PS4
    You'll find this interesting: https://youtu.be/NoxLT-cVQrw

Personally I leave brake pressure ~75-80% for the hybrids and have a play with bias for Max harvest. You want to avoid lock up.
    For the Toyota: the real car had a clever flexing rear wing that would shed downforce and drag for a better top speed. In the game not so much, but even at 0 wing it has so much grip and downforce you can run that pretty much everywhere.
    Also don't hold off the deploying until 5th and chase top speed. This car is all about acceleration. Full throttle as soon as you can on the exit, even if you only do 170mph you'll be there quickly and make up the time.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bradleyland, Leper Messiah

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    You'll find this interesting: https://youtu.be/NoxLT-cVQrw

Personally I leave brake pressure ~75-80% for the hybrids and have a play with bias for Max harvest. You want to avoid lock up.
    For the Toyota: the real car had a clever flexing rear wing that would shed downforce and drag for a better top speed. In the game not so much, but even at 0 wing it has so much grip and downforce you can run that pretty much everywhere.
    Also don't hold off the deploying until 5th and chase top speed. This car is all about acceleration. Full throttle as soon as you can on the exit, even if you only do 170mph you'll be there quickly and make up the time.
    cheers for the info and vid! Nice to see some of my guesses and ideas are mirrored by the pros! So yes I need to brake early and less hard, drop downforce and not care about top end just acceleration!!
    Intel Core i5 3570K @3.80ghz - GTX1060 6gb - 8GB ram - Win 7 64bit - 26"LCD tv 1360x768, dx11 - Fanatec CSR wheel, CSR elite pedals FW756 driver 205

Platform
    PS4
    I still stomp the brakes as I would normally, it's just in car setup I have the brake pressure turned down, for consistency. The different hybrid cars in pc1 respond differently to brake pressure and bias, each have their own "mapping" I guess. It does an interesting extra element in tuning these cars.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post
    cheers for the info and vid! Nice to see some of my guesses and ideas are mirrored by the pros! So yes I need to brake early and less hard, drop downforce and not care about top end just acceleration!!
    Keep in mind that this is really getting down to splitting hairs. My experience is that HKraft's strategy works best. Just drive the thing like you would any car. pCARS doesn't always do the best job of modeling real life car behavior when you get to the very edges of performance, and I think this is one of those cases. Even if you do find maximum ERS recharge rate, you'll find that people are out-braking you in to the corners, so you'll lose positions in an effort to maximize ERS. That's a bad return on investment.

Having said that, if you're really curious and just want to try it...

Recovery rate varies significantly by car. It's been a while since I've raced LMP1, so I don't remember the order, but what I did was fire up a practice session at Le Mans. The Mulsanne straight is great for this kind of testing. Turn of tire wear and fuel consumption, then just go to town, testing different braking strategies. You'll want to pay attention to how hard you're pressing the brake, vs how quickly the ERS bar goes up. A telemetry app like vrHive is incredibly helpful for this.
    COMPETITIVE RACING LICENSE Infographic | FFB INFO | SAFE IS FAST
    PS4 | FANATEC CSL Elite | FANATEC ClubSport Pedals v3
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Leper Messiah

Platform
    PS4
    These things stop on a dime even if you're at 75% brake pressure. Clever defense and the extra boost on exit helps. That said, I've been out brakes in MP but got the place back in the next straight.
    Also for endurance racing (and with optimum gear ratios), maximising the regen helps you go faster and/or save fuel at least.
    Note: some cars won't regenerate if you're not at Max "pedal" pressure. The Marek's Regen, I've noticed, is a bit finicky and it's interrupted by your downshifting habits.

Edit: +1 for vrhive. More telemetry data than you can poke a spanner at.
    Last edited by hkraft300; 19-04-2017 at 14:09.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10
    The following user likes this Post: bradleyland

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    These things stop on a dime even if you're at 75% brake pressure. Clever defense and the extra boost on exit helps. That said, I've been out brakes in MP but got the place back in the next straight.
    Also for endurance racing (and with optimum gear ratios), maximising the regen helps you go faster and/or save fuel at least.
    Note: some cars won't regenerate if you're not at Max "pedal" pressure. The Marek's Regen, I've noticed, is a bit finicky and it's interrupted by your downshifting habits.

Edit: +1 for vrhive. More telemetry data than you can poke a spanner at.
    That is a great point on endurance racing. So many lobbies are sprint format, I often forget about longer sessions.

When racing against really clean racers that I trust, I'll go for the strategic ERS play, but online, once you've given up a place, you're just asking to get blocked/punted by some dipstick with no understanding of racecraft
    COMPETITIVE RACING LICENSE Infographic | FFB INFO | SAFE IS FAST
    PS4 | FANATEC CSL Elite | FANATEC ClubSport Pedals v3

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
    That is a great point on endurance racing. So many lobbies are sprint format, I often forget about longer sessions.
    Mate shoot me a request.
    I'll get you on some serious 1 hour+ races.
    The shortest race I'll host is 25-30 minutes, 12-15 laps.
    Even 20 lap races at 2-3X wear becomes a stressful proposition when there's guys qualifying 3 seconds faster.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post
    I try to leave off full throttle till around 5 gear or so then upshift early to get into 7th as soon as possible but I'm really not sure what is the best thing to do.
    In the real car, (as well as the Porsche and Audi) you use the energy on corner exit. They usually fully discharge the battery right at 6th gear.
    "Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all of my life. And it stands up before anything else." - Ayrton Senna

Steam l PC specs
    The following user likes this Post: Leper Messiah

Platform
    PC
    cheers for the extra info peeps.