Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with McLaren GT3 around Bathurst

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Need help with McLaren GT3 around Bathurst

Any help here would be appreciated, running the 12c in sprint races just for fun at Bathurst and when i tie it all together i can do a 2.08 and run second or third to the Ai set at 91%. I feel i can go faster but here's where i am losing time;

- Exit understeer at both Murray's and Hell corner, Hell REALLY hurts up mountain straight
    - Lose a ton of time through the Cutting, no matter how hard I go at the corner or how careful i drop 1/2 a second
    - Tail wags hard through the fast right hander after the cutting before sulman/reid/mcphillamy
    - Very unstable at the dipper (bottoming out) and entering forrest elbow

On the flip side I am making up time;

- on the straights, even at nearly full downforce levels
    - through sulman/reid/mcphillamy (when not kissing walls)
    - through the esses

So basically a weird combination of of some entry understeer, a ton of exit understeer, very unstable rear end through some corners and the bottoming out.

lil' halp?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Oh and i am chewing front tyres, especially the front right.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    maybe try :

- Increasing accel diff (to help with exit understeer)
    - stiffer rear springs would help exit understeer too but you are already complain of the tail wagging so increase the rear spring rate might compound the issue. Try stiffening the rear rear and also try it with softer springs and see which you prefer
    - raise the ride height of the car to help with the cutting, you are probably bottoming out
    - try running with 1 downforce on the front and 2 on the rear to help with entry understeer or softer springs or softter front sway bars. Add more rear downforce if its unstable at the rear

Platform
    PS4
    I'd soften front springs instead instead of making the rear stiffer to counteract understeer. It won't take away traction from the rear, but add a little grip to the front. Reduce pre-load diff too, it'll help rotate the car a little mid-corner. Maybe brake bias 1-2% to less (towards the rear).
    I'll agree with increase ride height, maybe +5mm.
    I'll do 2:08 on a good day but there's guys doing consistent 2:04-5 so it's not all about tuning but knowing the track. Watch some hot lap videos or chase some TT ghosts to see where they're making time.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    G29 settings.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks guys.

What about the slow and fast rebounds to help settle the car through the dipper and the cutting?

I cannot fathom where one finds another 4 seconds, it can only be across the top but you'd need to be near full throttle from the cutting through to the dipper.

Platform
    PS4
    Projectcarssetups.eu has a calculator to tune the dampers

Ye, the fast guys are pretty much flat out in the whole section. There's also a lot of time to be gained through the dipper and the last hairpin (Forrest elbow?) Is crucial to get a good run through conrod and chase.
    G29 settings.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    OK made the following changes;

- dropped the pre-load diff a click
    - drop the acc lock two clicks
    - softened front end a tad
    - stiffened rear end a tad
    - Bumped ride height considerably

The car felt better right away, noticeably more turn in with no less stability.

Faster in these areas now than I was before;

- Hell corner
    - Murrays corner
    - dipper
    - forrest elbow

Biggest difference is hell corner, can now turn the nose in easily and get on the gas hard, gained 3 to 4 tenths here easily by the time i hit Griffins. In 7 laps I did two 2.07's and four 2.08's so a solid 7/10th to a second quicker than i was before. I just won the race by a second at 91%.

Still losing to the Ai through the cutting, if i brake later i run wide and earlier i lose momentum up the hill. Cannot figure it out. Also losing time exiting the chase, i brake much later than the Ai and hit the apex but they shoot out of there like rockets. Big issue now is tyre wear, eating them alive, they are gone by the end of 7 laps.

Platform
    PS4
    Now the cutting and chase are an issue.
    Chase: you could sacrifice momentum through the left hander to get a good run on the exit.
    Reducing your gears 1-5 to the left a click might help, keep 6th long to not kill your top speed. You'll get a slight improvement in acceleration on the corner exits.
    G29 settings.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Figured out the Cutting, there is no need to slow down as much as I was, in saying that it is still VERY tricky for me to get right. If you go in a touch hard she washes into the wall and a touch slow and BANG there goes half a second, there's no fine line, it's either right or you've fucked up.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Lapping in high 7's pretty consistently with a PB of 2.07.08, there's a mid 6 in me if I tie it all together.

I would like to venture into a longer race, maybe 25 laps, but my right front gets killed and when i try and change my driving to save the RF tyre my times tumble. i assume it's the absolute beating the tyre takes through Reid park/Sulman Park and McPhillamy as well as through the chase. TBH you lean of the RF pretty hard through Murrays and Hell corner too, it just gets beat to death but yeah if i slow her down the times take a fall.