Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro's and con's... console versus pc

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    The yearly fee for Xbox live is 40 but I've paid 20 for the last couple of years, different places charge different

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Fortuna View Post
    And someone mentioned the cost of triple screen. Just how much running triples on consoles cost as well? (GT5 did run on triples.. if you can afford 3 consoles, 3 tv's which would give a VERY nice PC rig )
    If you can afford 3 consoles & 3 copies of the same game (and maybe a new wheel every time a new console comes out due to compatibility issues) you'd better off investing on a good PC.

I'm a bit surprised people aren't mentioning lack of backwards compatibility on consoles as a major downside. The only console that had true backwards compatibility was PS2 (most PS1 discs worked fine on PS2 without the need to download anything, PS1 memory cards & controllers worked on PS2).
    Backwards compatibility is one of the reasons I switched to PC, all my old games still work, same for controllers, no need to pay again for games I already own.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Konan

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
    [*]Con: Incremental upgrades turn out to be a bit of a myth (architecture changes sometimes require significant upgrades).
    This is true, if I want to move to Ryzen I have to get both CPU and motherboard, even if I remained with Intel I'd have to do it, since Z68 chipset is ancient today.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz | Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 970 4GB | Asus P8Z68 Deluxe | 2x Corsair Vengeance 8GB (16GB) | Samsung 840 Evo 256GB | Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB | Logitech G27 all standard | Cooler Master PSU 700W | Cooler Master HAF 932

Superkart Pilot gotdirt410sprintcar's Avatar
    Platform
    PS4
    Cyberpower pc, is what I'm looking at 1,000 us, and its plenty powerful too run games. There are cheaper one's too like 550 on up but the 1,000 one you won't have too upgrade for a little while anyway.

Edit i just want it for Iracing they have sponsorship that means money over the winter they had a ten race series paid 1,200 to the winner so right there you could pay yourself back but you have too win lol.
    Last edited by gotdirt410sprintcar; 20-04-2017 at 23:02.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt410sprintcar View Post
    Cyberpower pc, is what I'm looking at 1,000 us, and its plenty powerful too run games. There are cheaper one's too like 550 on up but the 1,000 one you won't have too upgrade for a little while anyway.

Edit i just want it for Iracing they have sponsorship that means money over the winter they had a ten race series paid 1,200 to the winner so right there you could pay yourself back but you have too win lol.
    It's better to build your own than to buy from a big-name pre-built company.
    "Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all of my life. And it stands up before anything else." - Ayrton Senna

Steam l PC specs

Platform
    PS4
    Cost of a PC here, for my current circumstances is a little prohibitive for the initial outlay. Can't justify it because the Ps4 is still going strong and will run pcars2.
    I would build one myself. It's not hard, it's all plug and play. Can't really mess it up even if you know nothing of it.
    That initial build would get me in the 4K club, plugged into a new TV, and VR when I've sorted out a VIVE/rift. Consoles are still a ways behind for proper 4K and VR sim racing. Doesn't look like it'll happen on consoles til the PS5 at least. For the cost of a PS5, I might just go dark side, considering how far behind a PC it will be on release.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    You put your left pedal in, You take your left pedal out,
    You put your right pedal in, And you slide it all about...
    G29 settings.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Chimildo, gotdirt410sprintcar

Platform
    PC
    And the cost of the games on consoles... pure robbery. PC's games even at launch day are usually cheaper and their value quickly drops a couple of weeks later. Not quite the case on consoles.

And this is just talking about the legal way
    ---

| CPU: i5 4670K@4.3GHz | GPU: MSI GTX1080 Gaming X 8GB (375.70) | Mobo: AsRock Z87 Extreme6
    | RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz CL10 | PSU: Corsair CX850M | OS: Win10 x64 | Sound: Asus Xonar DX + Asus Vulcan Pro | C:\>: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
    | Monitor: 3x IPS LG23EA63 @5760x1080 (Bezel Corrected) -- HTC VIVE

| Wheel: CSWv2 w/ CSPv2 (USB) + CSS SQ (driver 261b/fw204+fw1.30) | Damping: 100 | 900
    | In game: Deadzones: 0 |Sensitivity: 50 | Damping: 0 | FFB/TF: 100/70 | Per Wheel Movement: -0.07/0.03/0.01 | DRR/DRF: 0.01/0.01
    | Wheel Profile: Sens: Aut| FF: 100 | SHo: 100 | ABS: OFF | Lin: OFF | Dea: OFF | Dri: OFF | For: 100| Spr: 100 | Dpr: 100
    | Tweakers: None

| Visual FX: Blur: Off | HDR: Photo | Aniso: 16x | AA: DS2X| Vsync: Off (fast v-sync in drivers)| Flare: OFF | FOV: 106 | Grass: Off | Other: envmap/reflections/shadows: low - car/track: ultra
    | Driving assists : Off
    | CmdLine: -skipcrowds -dx11mt -pthreads 4
    The following 3 users likes this Post: gotdirt410sprintcar, hkraft300, morpwr

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flare View Post
    It's better to build your own than to buy from a big-name pre-built company.
    unless you know nothing about building a pc like me you cant just assume every one that plays pc gaming is a geek squad
    The following user likes this Post: bradleyland

Platform
    PC
    No need to be a geek, but one can read. It's not rocket science. Google can help on best buy per price range (you get a few articles a year on this).

Or go to a specialized store and ask for what we can have within our budget and ask for a print of the HW. Then google for prices and/or better options on the several components. Sometimes it pays off to pay that little extra or avoid paying as much...

Sure takes a bit of time but at least you're not limited to one good component and the rest being crap on pre-assembled PC's from known brand names.

If it must be down to that, I'd rather ask at a store too as some do have their "brand" kitss pre-assembled as well.
    ---

| CPU: i5 4670K@4.3GHz | GPU: MSI GTX1080 Gaming X 8GB (375.70) | Mobo: AsRock Z87 Extreme6
    | RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz CL10 | PSU: Corsair CX850M | OS: Win10 x64 | Sound: Asus Xonar DX + Asus Vulcan Pro | C:\>: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
    | Monitor: 3x IPS LG23EA63 @5760x1080 (Bezel Corrected) -- HTC VIVE

| Wheel: CSWv2 w/ CSPv2 (USB) + CSS SQ (driver 261b/fw204+fw1.30) | Damping: 100 | 900
    | In game: Deadzones: 0 |Sensitivity: 50 | Damping: 0 | FFB/TF: 100/70 | Per Wheel Movement: -0.07/0.03/0.01 | DRR/DRF: 0.01/0.01
    | Wheel Profile: Sens: Aut| FF: 100 | SHo: 100 | ABS: OFF | Lin: OFF | Dea: OFF | Dri: OFF | For: 100| Spr: 100 | Dpr: 100
    | Tweakers: None

| Visual FX: Blur: Off | HDR: Photo | Aniso: 16x | AA: DS2X| Vsync: Off (fast v-sync in drivers)| Flare: OFF | FOV: 106 | Grass: Off | Other: envmap/reflections/shadows: low - car/track: ultra
    | Driving assists : Off
    | CmdLine: -skipcrowds -dx11mt -pthreads 4
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Azure Flare, gotdirt410sprintcar, morpwr

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by dault3883 View Post
    unless you know nothing about building a pc like me you cant just assume every one that plays pc gaming is a geek squad
    I learned a lot about PC gaming in the past 2 years but don't consider myself a gaming geek. Everything you can think of you can find written & video guides for it showing detailed step by step instructions.
    I was afraid of opening my PC and changing parts by it isn't as difficult as you might think. The parts are all properly labeled, each part has its own connector that usually fits only 1 way, so basically you look up a guide on Youtube, follow the instructions & labels when fitting parts and everything will be fine.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: morpwr, RomKnight