Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Pro's and con's... console versus pc

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiden View Post
    I don't know. A few years ago, I had a really expensive laptop, and it had trouble running a codemaster's F1 on high settings. $800? I just don't see it. Laptop GPUs claim to be powerful, but just look at the size of the GTX1080 in your PC, and then tell me how that kind of power is stuffed in a laptop? It's not possible. The heat issues alone would be a major obstacle. Not saying you can't game on a laptop. I know people do. But they have true gaming laptops, at least the ones I've seen. And they cost a hell of a lot more than $800.
    Youre behind.lol How about gtx1080s in sli in a laptop? Already been done. You can get gtx10 series cards in laptops.The one I looked at had a gtx1060 in it at best buy for an extra 200 over the one I bought. Funny you bring up heat because it had a little picture on it talking about how they solved that issue. So even laptops have come a long way. My hp omen laptop can have anything from a gtx1050-1080 or the laptop gpus. Mine has the 965gpu. Basically the laptop equivalent of the 1060.So it not even hard to find them with pc gpus anymore.
    Last edited by morpwr; 08-05-2017 at 11:06.
    MOBO: asus rog maximus VIII hero / CPU: intel i7 6700k unlocked / RAM: G SKILL 32GB DDR4 3000 / COOLING: corsair h100 v2 / GPU: asus GeForce gtx1080 / PSU: evga super nova 850g2 / STORAGE: Samsung evo 500gb/wd black 2tb / CASE: thermaltake core x71 / RIG:Gt omega PC Racer/T300 with Heusinkveld pro pedals / VR:rift / BACKUP: ps4 http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by morpwr View Post
    Youre behind.lol How about gtx1080s in sli in a laptop? Already been done. You can get gtx10 series cards in laptops.The one I looked at had a gtx1060 in it at best buy for an extra 200 over the one I bought. Funny you bring up heat because it had a little picture on it talking about how they solved that issue. So even laptops have come a long way. My hp omen laptop can have anything from a gtx1050-1080 or the laptop gpus. Mine has the 965gpu. Basically the laptop equivalent of the 1060.So it not even hard to find them with pc gpus anymore.
    Those are mobile versions. They have lower clock speeds and spec-wise, Nvidia claims the 1080 mobile version can match a desktop 1070 "if" you have a good fan/cooling system.

They didn't make the desktop cards bigger just because they had the space.
    PC: MSI Z170A, M7 | i7-6700K 4.4 GHz (OC) | 32GB DDR4-3200 | GTX 1080, 8GB | Corsair H115i Liquid Cooler
    Rig: CSW-v2, CSP-v3, CSS SQ / Formula Black, Porsche 918 RSR, GT U-Hub Combo | Oculus CV1 | Samsung 46"| GT Omega ART | BK Gamer2

Steam ID: Haiden773
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bradleyland, morpwr

Platform
    PC
    I'm very much pro PC but they are a pain in the butt at times so I understand the Console users wanting simplicity. I just bought a GTX 1060, had difficulty geting my old 660 out because the massive headsink made getting to the PCIE clip a mare. Then when I booted the PC it froze on the BIOS, so I had to take out the new 1060 and put the old 660 back in and search the internet to find out I need a bios upgrade...which is scary as if I stuff it up I turn my PC into an expensive brick. The potential for things going bad with a PC are infinitely higher than a console.

But I still wouldn't swap my PC for a XBONE or PS4.
    Intel Core i5 3570K @3.80ghz - GTX1060 6gb - 8GB ram - Win 7 64bit - 26"LCD tv 1360x768, dx11 - Fanatec CSR wheel, CSR elite pedals FW756 driver 205
    "something, something, something....darkside"
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Haiden, morpwr

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

(to be clear, the caption is intended to be satire)
    PS4 | Thrustmaster T300RS Ferrari Integral
    Inside Sim Racing Wheel Buyer's Guide
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Haiden, hkraft300

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by morpwr View Post
    I know they're technically laptop form factor, but I don't call a 12 lb, 3-inch thick slab a laptop. They're great if you like to go to LAN parties, but then again, I haven't been to a LAN party in about 7 years.
    PS4 | Thrustmaster T300RS Ferrari Integral
    Inside Sim Racing Wheel Buyer's Guide
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Haiden, hkraft300

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiden View Post
    Those are mobile versions. They have lower clock speeds and spec-wise, Nvidia claims the 1080 mobile version can match a desktop 1070 "if" you have a good fan/cooling system.

They didn't make the desktop cards bigger just because they had the space.
    I forgot they aren't exactly the same as the pc ones even though they have the same numbers. My bad.
    MOBO: asus rog maximus VIII hero / CPU: intel i7 6700k unlocked / RAM: G SKILL 32GB DDR4 3000 / COOLING: corsair h100 v2 / GPU: asus GeForce gtx1080 / PSU: evga super nova 850g2 / STORAGE: Samsung evo 500gb/wd black 2tb / CASE: thermaltake core x71 / RIG:Gt omega PC Racer/T300 with Heusinkveld pro pedals / VR:rift / BACKUP: ps4 http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/
    The following user likes this Post: Haiden

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
    I know they're technically laptop form factor, but I don't call a 12 lb, 3-inch thick slab a laptop. They're great if you like to go to LAN parties, but then again, I haven't been to a LAN party in about 7 years.
    Yeah I know. That is an issue at this point. As people want better performance from them they are getting bigger and heavier again.

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cxMilk View Post
    One of my biggest issues with PCs for years and years was having to play games with a keyboard and mouse. I absolutely abhor playing games with keyboard and mouse. The only time I really ever put up with it was back when I had an Apple II GS because I had a couple great games for it. Obviously, in the last decade or so, PC games have become controller friendly, at least the triple-As and more well known indie stuff. Because of that, I finally got myself a gaming PC. However, I only ever play PC-only titles on it. If a game exists on console, I always prefer to have it on console, and typically in order of my preferred console.
    Imo PC still has advantages over console when it comes to controllers. Except for a few rpgs & fps my X360 controller works fine with all my games as most of them support controllers. For the few ones that don't there are usually workarounds for enabling controller support for any controller I want.
    There's more options for controllers on PC, I use a X360 controller for racing games and a PS2 arcade stick + usb adapter for fighting games, and if I wanted to use other controllers such as PS3, PS4, X1, etc, I could do so. On console there's more limitations on what controllers are available for each console, or whether or not it's possible to use controller from one console on another console. If you use things like arcade stick & driving wheel getting a new console might require getting adapters or maybe even a new stick/wheel, while on PC the same controller/stick/wheel will work with games from different generations.
    Also, on PC there's more options for customizing controller settings. Consoles have had improvement in recent years with some games allowing full controller customization, but imo PC is still ahead in that regard, even if a game doesn't allow full controller customization in the game options there's still ways to do so with additional software, so you can use what you like best instead of using whatever controller setting the game gives you.

In the end it all comes down to player preference, some people will adapt to whatever controller & settings are available to them, others might prefer to have a wider choice of available controllers & custom settings.
    The following user likes this Post: Leper Messiah

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Consoles are "take what you get".

Personally I find consoles far too limited.
    Limited in controller options, limited in graphics settings and most games don't even aim for more than 30fps, and most not even maintaining that.
    Take gta5 for instance often drop into mid 20's in some situations even on ps4.

These limitations are things I just find annoying.
    Too annoying.
    If you know what you are doing you can easily keep a pc going for five years, no problem and in the last few years of it's life you might have to dial down some settings.
    But unless there has been a brand new console released in those years you will still be better off in regards to frame rate and picture quality.

There isn't wrong enjoying consoles.
    And yeah pc's take a little more effort but honestly not much.
    Then again I have been making that effort for nearly 20 years so it's become second nature.
    And with the ease you can now plug a pc to an average receiver via HDMI and just use a gamepad for the games that is best played with one.

The last year has been crazy for hardware with finally making a push for higher than 1080p resolutions and particularly with VR breaking ground.
    The latter puts insane demands on the entire computer not just gpu's but thinks a little besides the point

If it hadn't been for vr I would been perfectly happy for a while longer with the rig I built in 2014.

And speanikg of upgrade cycles, I would be very suprised if there wasnt a full new console cycle in less than two years time.
    The following user likes this Post: Azure Flare