Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In defense of the Ai

Platform
    PC

In defense of the Ai

The Ai in PC get's a lot of flak from some quarters, but for me I think it's really pretty good (although I've not done FB or FA yet which seems to be the main problem areas).

I'm currently in the Endurance championships in a GT4 car and done the EEC and been scared ****less as LMPs and GT3s overtake and I wasn't hit ONCE. At one point I had a GT3 overtake me then had LMPs overtake EITHER SIDE of me, I literally held my breath.....no collisions at all. Ok so at chicanes some corner cutting happens but in the main I think SMS did a solid job on the Ai. Sounds like the improvements for PC2 are really promising too. My only complaint about the Ai is that they seem to be based on Ginneta Juniors and Moto 3 mentality!
    Intel Core i5 3570K @3.80ghz - GTX1060 6gb - 8GB ram - Win 7 64bit - 26"LCD tv 1360x768, dx11 - Fanatec CSR wheel, CSR elite pedals FW756 driver 205
    "something, something, something....darkside"
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    Try FB and see it yourself, although AI rams you across all disciplines as well. You must have been lucky. Very lucky.

I play Road Cars a lot for long drifting sesions, because let's be honest road cars are amazing in project cars as long as you play with a wheel (you can't play road cars with a controller basically in this game), and the AI is not aware of your current side position most of the times too, like in FB. She also tends to ram you in the back, like in FB, again.

Most people hoping for the aggression parameters to have been tweaked in project cars 2, specially in open wheels. I think the AI is featuring "personalities" in pc2 regardless the %difficulty you choose. If so then that should be good enough, but first we must see before believe.

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    GT4 is a great class to race in.....

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you

The following 3 users likes this Post: Chimildo, Leper Messiah, VelvetTorpedo

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by honespc View Post
    Try FB and see it yourself, although AI rams you across all disciplines as well. You must have been lucky. Very lucky.

I play Road Cars a lot for long drifting sesions, because let's be honest road cars are amazing in project cars as long as you play with a wheel (you can't play road cars with a controller basically in this game), and the AI is not aware of your current side position most of the times too, like in FB. She also tends to ram you in the back, like in FB, again.

Most people hoping for the aggression parameters to have been tweaked in project cars 2, specially in open wheels. I think the AI is featuring "personalities" in pc2 regardless the %difficulty you choose. If so then that should be good enough, but first we must see before believe.
    I just don't understand this, unless it's a 90%+ setting? my comfort setting is around 80-90% and never go above that so maybe that's when the issues become more apparent?

But once I have the Endurance accolades and a few more invitational done I'll be off to FB and see how bad it is.

If PC2 solves the aggression and reins in the corner cutting then it'll be brilliant, and from what i've heard so far it's looking very promising!
    Intel Core i5 3570K @3.80ghz - GTX1060 6gb - 8GB ram - Win 7 64bit - 26"LCD tv 1360x768, dx11 - Fanatec CSR wheel, CSR elite pedals FW756 driver 205
    "something, something, something....darkside"

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    The problem with the AI is that they're all modeled after Ayrton Senna's defending and overtaking style. But this makes it better because I want to put in some effort, haha.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz | Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 970 4GB | Asus P8Z68 Deluxe | 2x Corsair Vengeance 8GB (16GB) | Samsung 840 Evo 256GB | Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB | Logitech G27 all standard | Cooler Master PSU 700W | Cooler Master HAF 932

WMD Member
    I noticed that AI behaviour varies depending on the track car combo. Some AI drivers also seem to be more aggressive than others. The worse experience is probably with open wheelers. I also noticed that if you drive very aggressively, they seem to respect the space around you a bit more.

On the upside, they do battle you hard and never let off, which is kind of unique compared to other sims, where the AI is like "Oh you are on my inside line? Fine dude, whatever take the spot". Not here, they will block you and make you fight for it, so overtaking becomes a safe possibility only on one or two corner sometimes. I guess it can be frustrating, but it is possible to have a clean and challenging race with the AI.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PS4
    Indeed. The AI is not that bad. Sometimes a bit to aggressive or they tend to cut the corners a lot. I hope the cutting corners is gone with PCars2. Ow he is in front of me, well no problem I just take a shortcut and cut the corner.

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post
    I've not done FB or FA yet
    Open-wheel AI is where I've had most trouble.
    I've had some really good races against AI in GT, LMP, DTM, but most of the times I tried racing in open-wheel I quit out of frustration. Slower cars like F-Gulf & FC aren't too bad but FA is pretty much unplayable for me, not only they do overly aggressive moves there's also the issue of AI having different collision physics (most of the time my car gets ****ed up while AI keeps going normally like nothing happened). AI pace is good overall, but I wish there were separate difficulty sliders to adjust AI pace & AI aggressiveness.

Platform
    XBOX1
    I've yet to run open wheelers and have yet to try anything north of 85% AI difficulty, so I'm assuming these factors have lead to why my overall AI experience has been rather good. Most of the AI complaints I've seen do seem to involve open wheelers and rather high difficulties, since if I recall, aggressiveness is tied into difficulty as well. However,

Quote Originally Posted by FS7 View Post
    ...there's also the issue of AI having different collision physics (most of the time my car gets ****ed up while AI keeps going normally like nothing happened).
    ^^This. This ranks up there with AI on cold tires and AI on slicks in the wet. Actually, I'd say it's worse. On several occasions where I've ended up in an accident with an AI, be it my fault or their's, typically I have to limp back to the pits at minimal speed while they can carry on, as FS7 said, like nothing happened. I hate to turn off physical damage, as AI cars can be damaged - they just have a much higher threshold for damage. It just sucks how unbalanced it can be at times. At least it's not like mechanical faults where the AI is impervious to them.

As far as racecraft, the only complaint I've really ever had about the AI, besides obvious corner cutting, is the aggressive nature of lapped cars, be it just a single lap or several laps down. I don't expect lapped cars should instantly move over, nor do I think they should. But I wish better blue flag mechanics were in place.
    The following user likes this Post: major sunscreen

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaruda View Post
    I noticed that AI behaviour varies depending on the track car combo. Some AI drivers also seem to be more aggressive than others. The worse experience is probably with open wheelers. I also noticed that if you drive very aggressively, they seem to respect the space around you a bit more.

On the upside, they do battle you hard and never let off, which is kind of unique compared to other sims, where the AI is like "Oh you are on my inside line? Fine dude, whatever take the spot". Not here, they will block you and make you fight for it, so overtaking becomes a safe possibility only on one or two corner sometimes. I guess it can be frustrating, but it is possible to have a clean and challenging race with the AI.
    The most important thing IMHO is never to take the outside line. If you have the inside they will respect you a lot more(that goes for defending the inside too). If you do that they are quite manageable most of the time. And in that respect it's not that different from real racing(except maybe for F1, but even there guys on the outside get run off the track and whine on their radios )
    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

-Mario Andretti