Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: In defense of the Ai

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by dault3883 View Post
    Problem with that theory is i moved up to GT3 and went with a mclaren and dominated practice qualifying and the sprint race at Laguna Seca. Only difference is iv been racing the laguna seca since the Gran Turismo 2 days. It went from my worst track (that cork screw is annoying if you dont know how to drive it) to my best track.
    The McClaren is a beast though. Probably the best balanced car for its class especially straight out of the box with no tuning.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by DECATUR PLAYA View Post
    The McClaren is a beast though. Probably the best balanced car for its class especially straight out of the box with no tuning.
    Why do you think i chose it over my favorite the corvette. The corvette team was one of the ones you can choose from the start, so it will always bee there. McLaren i earned from how i performed in GT4 figured i had to at least try now im in love with the car. Now if only my AI team mate would do better he finished dead last in both sprint and main race while i won both. at least we had the front and back side covered
    Jackie Stewart - "Sometimes you need to ease off in order to go faster"
    Ayrton Senna - “If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver”
    Steam ID: Dault3883 If u add me on steam send message on forum with ur steam id. If i dont know who the steam friend request belongs to i will ignore it.

Platform
    PS4
    ...not unimportant...covering the backside...
    I NEVER LOSE...I WIN OR LEARN...
    A special thanks to SMS and WMD for putting up with me all these years!
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post
    What complicates matters is the Ai is better at some tracks and a player will have some tracks they're blisteringly fast at, I'm faster than the Ai at Barcelona and Brno at 90% but at Nurbs GP I struggle to keep up at that setting. Cars make a lot of difference too, some I can't setup with a nice balance at all. That's not far off reality either, many drivers/riders have tracks that they are seemingly unstoppable at. And at other tracks they couldn't win even if they had more power.
    That's where my experience with the AI is minimal I just don't have as much as you but I do understand car/track combinations and I got some that I'm terrible with. Like that GT4 Mustang anywhere. This could attribute to struggles with the AI though.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Konan View Post
    ...not unimportant...covering the backside...
    i was talking about the rear of the field he was DEAD LAST i lapped him...Twice LOL
    Ayrton Senna - “If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver”
    Steam ID: Dault3883 If u add me on steam send message on forum with ur steam id. If i dont know who the steam friend request belongs to i will ignore it.
    The following user likes this Post: Konan

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by dault3883 View Post
    Problem with that theory is i moved up to GT3 and went with a mclaren and dominated practice qualifying and the sprint race at Laguna Seca. Only difference is iv been racing the laguna seca since the Gran Turismo 2 days. It went from my worst track (that cork screw is annoying if you dont know how to drive it) to my best track.
    PCs McLaren and laguna is a good combo for you

Quote Originally Posted by DECATUR PLAYA View Post
    That's where my experience with the AI is minimal I just don't have as much as you but I do understand car/track combinations and I got some that I'm terrible with. Like that GT4 Mustang anywhere. This could attribute to struggles with the AI though.
    Bascially there's no global difficulty setting that'll work across all cars and tracks, I try to find a guide line of where I am and tweak from there depending on whether I want a challengin or not, or if I want to fight for a win or fight for a podium or just fight for a top 10. Sometimes it's cool racing in the pack.

It's a nightmare for a programmer to get Ai correct, especially in a racing sim where a real driver will make a smeg load of decisions in an instant. Replicating that, with a limited budget of system time is a tad hard!

Lastly I've finally got round to starting the Formula B c-ship and yeah I can see why some complaints happen...I cussed a bit! PCs ai much better with tin tops.
    Intel Core i5 3570K @3.80ghz - GTX1060 6gb - 8GB ram - Win 7 64bit - 26"LCD tv 1360x768, dx11 - Fanatec CSR wheel, CSR elite pedals FW756 driver 205
    "something, something, something....darkside"
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post
    PCs McLaren and laguna is a good combo for you

Bascially there's no global difficulty setting that'll work across all cars and tracks, I try to find a guide line of where I am and tweak from there depending on whether I want a challengin or not, or if I want to fight for a win or fight for a podium or just fight for a top 10. Sometimes it's cool racing in the pack.

It's a nightmare for a programmer to get Ai correct, especially in a racing sim where a real driver will make a smeg load of decisions in an instant. Replicating that, with a limited budget of system time is a tad hard!

Lastly I've finally got round to starting the Formula B c-ship and yeah I can see why some complaints happen...I cussed a bit! PCs ai much better with tin tops.
    Yes Laguna Seca is a good track to me i love it. Yes the Mclaren has quickly become my favorite car on the game at this point. She will go where ever i ask her too very well balanced.
    The following user likes this Post: Leper Messiah

Platform
    PC
    Was researching AI aggressiveness and found this thread. Now with a few thousand miles logged and most campaigns won, I feel I'm qualified to relay some observations. I've always left the slider at 50%. I run mostly GT races and have tried most all car options. (BTW, where can I find a list of cars/teams since once raced with one, the contract later only shows renewal, not what car they are offering me?)

When I first started, I was not only surprised but frustrated, amazed and even depressed at the AI! Depressed since I at first actually felt sad when someone crashed my beautiful car. Or when I got mad and chased down an offender to get revenge usually at the expense of a win. I hadn't counted on crash-em bash-em destruction derby racing. Didn't think that showed much realism but now I look forward to the challenge. In fact, I skip practice and qualifying rounds now altogether just so I can have 20 or so adversaries to battle to the win! (OK, yes I admit, I sometimes cheat by cutting corners, but if bashing your car off the track isn't cheating or at least very poor sportsmanship, I don't know what is.

I swear sometimes if I cut inside someone on a turn and push him off the track, he'll chase me down to get revenge. Comes out of nowhere and does a pit maneuver on me! I agree with other comments here that they do seem to have personalities, not so much with teams but with car types. For sure know the mustangs in GT4 are out to get me as well as vantages. The MBs in GT3 aren't shy either. Seems the heavier the car, the more aggressive they are. (I tend to get that way when driving them as well however so can't complain I guess.

I don't have the bandwidth to race real drivers but from my old days of aerial dog-fighting online, can imagine the heat!
    Last edited by hardlock; 06-09-2017 at 04:42.

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    My biggest frustration with the AI is that no matter how low the setting, I never see them make mistakes. I run with it at 27, which is low enough for me to qualify in the top 3, but in the main race where consistency counts, I finish in the bottom 5 because they run every race with perfect consistency. I don't know what to do about this...

Anyway, hopefully this issue is gone in PC2, so I think I'll retire my career until Friday!

Platform
    PC
    I'm with you GS on AI consistency but found that I can use that to know how to beat them. Never gone below 50% but tried higher and they just get too good.

There's always the few loose cannons you have to try to avoid but the rest always head for the track line, all the time. Couple tricks I've found. If you see two AIs next to each other fighting it out, pass right between them and they will open up for you almost all of the time. Also, always pass on the inside of a turn and best to just get your nose at the apex right before the AI driver starts to cut it. You'll in-effect do a "pit" maneuver on him sending him to the weeds. Be ready to counter steer for the impact but keep inertia on your side and just keep moving up the pack. Love this sim!