Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 99

Thread: 3 things that may make or break pCARS2 as a commercial success.

  1. #1
    WMD Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4

    3 things that may make or break pCARS2 as a commercial success.

    Hi all, I have seen some promotional material about features in CARS2 and it got me quite excited, especially the online aspect looked interesting. However, while it all seems great, I have some thoughts about how this will reflect on the so called 'wide audience' aka the casuals.

    CARS1 and Assetto as well paved the way for simracing on consoles and managed to attract a lot of people who have not been simracers before. And obviously that caused trouble, from people not understanding how to race, to people bashing the controls and all sorts of other drama. Realism is one thing, but a the "game aspect" is also very important.

    So as far as I understand CARS2 is going to have a ranking system to keep good drivers clear from crash-kiddies. That is great, but I fear this will cause problems for new guys, if the game does not have some sort of feature to teach them how to drive in a safe manner. Because poor drivers will be matched with toxic drivers and this will only discourage them.

    So numero uno is tutorials. GTR2 had them, Richard Burns Rally had them, and if this online esports thing is to have a large and healthy playerbase, CARS2 also needs them. So that the 'casuals' have something in there to help them stop being 'casuals' in the bad sense of the word. Ideally these should be interactive - learning by doing. Stuff like how to go into a corner, how to overtake, flag rules, when it's safe to make a move and when you should back off, and also something covering how to learn a track without that lame green line.

    Number two would be good gamepad support. The game should be fully playable and enjoyable for those who don't have a wheel or are not sure they want one. No weird stability assists, no long hours spent finetuning deadzones. Just like that, out of the box, someone with a pad should be able to enjoy the game in every aspect. They will buy wheels eventually, if they like the experience on pad.

    Last but not least is singleplayer for those who are not after online competition. That means AI. I think it's safe to say that the career will be good, since CARS 1 already has that. I am enjoying it very much and I have actually noticed some good things about the AI - they do fight the player and each other on the track, some are faster some are slower, they sometimes make mistakes and they do make it hard to overtake. It would actually be pretty brilliant, had it not been for the occasional rampage the go on. It seem they just are unable to back off, when they should. Anyway, this will probably be the most tricky part to do, no racing sim is perfect in this regard. However, one thing I think would help a lot with the frustration of sometimes being shunned off track by AI after like 20 laps, would be a rewind feature. Yeah, I know, sounds like heresy, but it's not like it's mandatory and in some situations, it would be better to have such a thing then restart the race.

    So, three things to alleviate the human factor and maybe accommodate those who just want a new cool looking non-acrade car game.
    The following 6 users likes this Post: amazed, IceShaft, KuP9I, Mowzer, OddTimer, poirqc


  2. #2
    GT3 Pilot dault3883's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,311
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaruda View Post
    Hi all, I have seen some promotional material about features in CARS2 and it got me quite excited, especially the online aspect looked interesting. However, while it all seems great, I have some thoughts about how this will reflect on the so called 'wide audience' aka the casuals.

    CARS1 and Assetto as well paved the way for simracing on consoles and managed to attract a lot of people who have not been simracers before. And obviously that caused trouble, from people not understanding how to race, to people bashing the controls and all sorts of other drama. Realism is one thing, but a the "game aspect" is also very important.

    So as far as I understand CARS2 is going to have a ranking system to keep good drivers clear from crash-kiddies. That is great, but I fear this will cause problems for new guys, if the game does not have some sort of feature to teach them how to drive in a safe manner. Because poor drivers will be matched with toxic drivers and this will only discourage them.

    So numero uno is tutorials. GTR2 had them, Richard Burns Rally had them, and if this online esports thing is to have a large and healthy playerbase, CARS2 also needs them. So that the 'casuals' have something in there to help them stop being 'casuals' in the bad sense of the word. Ideally these should be interactive - learning by doing. Stuff like how to go into a corner, how to overtake, flag rules, when it's safe to make a move and when you should back off, and also something covering how to learn a track without that lame green line.

    Number two would be good gamepad support. The game should be fully playable and enjoyable for those who don't have a wheel or are not sure they want one. No weird stability assists, no long hours spent finetuning deadzones. Just like that, out of the box, someone with a pad should be able to enjoy the game in every aspect. They will buy wheels eventually, if they like the experience on pad.

    Last but not least is singleplayer for those who are not after online competition. That means AI. I think it's safe to say that the career will be good, since CARS 1 already has that. I am enjoying it very much and I have actually noticed some good things about the AI - they do fight the player and each other on the track, some are faster some are slower, they sometimes make mistakes and they do make it hard to overtake. It would actually be pretty brilliant, had it not been for the occasional rampage the go on. It seem they just are unable to back off, when they should. Anyway, this will probably be the most tricky part to do, no racing sim is perfect in this regard. However, one thing I think would help a lot with the frustration of sometimes being shunned off track by AI after like 20 laps, would be a rewind feature. Yeah, I know, sounds like heresy, but it's not like it's mandatory and in some situations, it would be better to have such a thing then restart the race.

    So, three things to alleviate the human factor and maybe accommodate those who just want a new cool looking non-acrade car game.
    i totally agree with you except for one point i like the Green Preferred line

  3. #3
    WMD Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4
    Well for me the line teaches the bad habit of paying attention to the line instead of corner markers and other objects acting as cues for braking, so if you get used to the line too much, it's difficult to find a good line without it. I'm not saying get rid of it, just teach people how to find the best line and speed around the corners without it.
    The following 5 users likes this Post: Azure Flare, F1_Racer68, hkraft300, Konan, Schnizz58


  4. #4
    GT3 Pilot dault3883's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,311
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaruda View Post
    Well for me the line teaches the bad habit of paying attention to the line instead of corner markers and other objects acting as cues for braking, so if you get used to the line too much, it's difficult to find a good line without it. I'm not saying get rid of it, just teach people how to find the best line and speed around the corners without it.
    i can agree with that but then again sometimes i even with the line on sometimes im so focused i dont even notice the line i just kind of ignore it

  5. #5
    Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newquay, Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    7,691
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by dault3883 View Post
    i can agree with that but then again sometimes i even with the line on sometimes im so focused i dont even notice the line i just kind of ignore it
    Then why have it on at all
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you


    The following 2 users likes this Post: Azure Flare, honespc


  6. #6
    GT3 Pilot dault3883's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,311
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Prynne View Post
    Then why have it on at all
    because i dont care if its on or not it doesnt bother me one way or another and it does help me when on a new track

  7. #7
    LMP2 Pilot hkraft300's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    8,346
    Platform
    PS4
    I recommend not having the line. The first few laps is more tricky, but with the map hud on, it forces you to use your memory in better ways.
    I think it's related that a study proved people reliant on GPS navigation take longer to learn a route than those using a map or landmarks.
    Also the driving line is hideous.
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10
    The following 8 users likes this Post: Azure Flare, Chimildo, F1_Racer68, GenBrien, honespc, Konan, proterra1, Schnizz58


  8. #8
    Superkart Pilot DECATUR PLAYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Decatur, Ga
    Posts
    905
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    I recommend not having the line. The first few laps is more tricky, but with the map hud on, it forces you to use your memory in better ways.
    I think it's related that a study proved people reliant on GPS navigation take longer to learn a route than those using a map or landmarks.
    Also the driving line is hideous.
    The line is hideous but I use my line. Originally I used it to help with new tracks an unfamiliar locations but then I found that the line is dynamic like the weather so now I use it to help with tuning. The line does not move but the braking zones, mid turn throttle points, and corner exit throttle points seem to change with cars abilities as you tune. Maybe I'm seeing things and I could be wrong but I believe it bad advice to tell a new guy not to use his driving line it can help him or her so much with cornering and learning new tracks. The driving line is a lot like the assist in PCARS it just works differently than other racing games and if you don't use it this is impossible to understand.

    Back on subject as this thread is not about the driving line guys. It's about the game appealing to a wider audience. You should read up on the Pcars academy I think this feature should really help expand the audience if implemented correctly. I think for the sim crowd to expand that more guys have to learn tuning and race craft as this is what puts drivers directly into what real race teams go thru weekly. For the average guy to keep playing he or she has to be competitive and to be competitive in sim racing you have to tune and you have to know how to race. I think the pcars academy will go a long way towards this.

    As far as single player goes I'm not a single player guy but what little bit I have done the A.I. seems to be ultra-competitive which I like depending on what skill level you put them. I think SMS should leave them that way because there is nothing worst than getting fast on racing game and then racing A.I. that can't keep up. A lot of guys get mad about getting driven off the track but they should follow the model of real race car drivers. If you can't keep a guy off of your rear bumper you should probably get out of his way because in real life if you continue to block a faster guy eventually he or she is going to drive you off the track.

    From what Pcars has shown so far it really looks like this game will appeal to a very wide audience and remember guys this forum has helped a lot of people myself included. A strong community will also help a lot of guys transition to sim racing as well.
    Last edited by DECATUR PLAYA; 20-04-2017 at 05:13.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Santander
    Posts
    755
    Platform
    PC
    It's very important to turn off the line. Even for newbies

  10. #10
    Superkart Pilot DECATUR PLAYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Decatur, Ga
    Posts
    905
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by honespc View Post
    It's very important to turn off the line. Even for newbies
    That's your opinion and the opinion of most but I ran a public room nightly for the first 8 months after Pcars came out and I met a lot of these newbies that you guys speak of and these guys were struggling really bad. A lot of these guys just quit in frustration thinking Pcars was the worst game they ever played and I have seen the line save a lot of guys. Why did SMS put it in the game maybe just for kicks. I'm not saying that it is the optimal way to race and I normally keep my racing line opinion to myself as it is not popular here but in a thread that talks about the game appealing to a wider audience I couldn't.

Similar Threads

  1. Commercial business license opportunities?
    By upwardvr in forum PC - Technical Help & Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-08-2017, 05:15
  2. Commercial version of Project Cars
    By jhlee in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-01-2017, 16:05
  3. Break into 2,14 at Spa-Franchorchamps RUF RGT-3?
    By Androphonomania in forum The Garage - Car Setup Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-02-2016, 06:21
  4. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 30-05-2015, 16:58
  5. Things that need improving and Things that are broken
    By ileftmyattackbootsinchina in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-05-2015, 12:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •