Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lap records and track rubbering

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4

Lap records and track rubbering

I know we have TT leaderboards in Pcars2 but I think it would be cool if we had "live" lap records in the game. For example, if I load up Long Beach in career, during the loading screen, it displays the current world lap record for that track, not imported from TT, but from another player playing the career mode. Maybe it's just me but I was never a fan of TT and how it puts you in the most perfect racing environment. F1 drivers set world record laps in real world conditions during the race weekend.

Another thing I would like to know is if we get live rubbering effects on the track with this new Live Track 3.0 thing. Meaning, if I select a 20 lap race with only 5 cars will my lap times be the same as if I selected the same race but with 22 cars. I would think I should get better lap times with 22 cars on track because more rubber is being laid down.
    The following 7 users likes this Post: bradleyland, breyzipp, Fanapryde, Francisnf, OddTimer, proterra1, zeva

In the trophy cabinet, polishing my 2016 MVP trophy
    Platform
    PC
    Not sure if most people realise but, it was originally a WMD-community vote - during pCARS1 development - and it came down in favour of only showing times from the fairly static environment that time-trial provides. The major reason, IIRC, was that due to the different environmental conditions (season, wind, rain etc) and track rubbering levels, it was decided to not leave players trying to second-guess what conditions the WR lap was set in (there's only a limited amount of data for the leaderboards).

Will that change for pCARS2? I'm not at liberty to say but I suspect the answer will be no, for the same reasons as before.

As for more realistic rubbering in, well, that would be telling .
    PC Setup : Intel Core i5-8600K w/BeQuiet 240mm Silent Loop water cooler (overclocked to 4.5GHz) // MSI GTX 980 Gaming GPU // Asus Xonar DX PCI-E soundcard // Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard // 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666MHz RAM // Fractal Design Newton R3 800W PSU // Windows 10 64-bit // Fractal Design Define R4 case w/5 cooling fans // NEC 24" LCD 2470WNX 1920x1200 60Hz //
    The following 2 users likes this Post: breyzipp, Rambo_Commando

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    I really do hope it will change because TT is something I find a really useless activity. It would be acceptable(for me) if the timetrial could be used as a qualification(without other cars) in a race weekend. But IMHO TT itself doesn't hold any relation to the real racing world and having a static environment is also not a real world thing. I like the leaderboards and all, but if it's only via timetrial I'm not going to be in them.
    Life's too short to front wheel drive
    CSW 2.5, 918 Wheel, V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive

/// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)
    The following 3 users likes this Post: breyzipp, Fanapryde, Rambo_Commando

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    It sure is a very interesting topic and I hope mister wookie is reading this.

A part of me thinks that static environments with static weather, static seasons (= optimal conditions) would be the most fair way to do time trials for leaderboards since everyone can easily reproduce these settings (just start a time trial like in PCARS 1 - outside of career and multiplayer). But I would think not many people would be doing time trials, I remember from PCARS 1 for checking them out briefly on XBox One there were barely any people populating the leaderboards.
    But another part of me would also find it very boring when PCARS 2 is out that we would need to leave our beloved dynamic weather / dynamic seasons / dynamic livetrack 3.0 environment to set some lap times for scoreboards. Quite frankly I find time trials just for the sake of time trails just boring, I'd rather see them be recorded automatically in the background while I play career or multiplayer.
    And then there is the topic of needing to be alone on a track or allowed to be in a race when recording a lap time for scoreboards. When you are in a race with other people then slip streaming does give an added benefit but of course other people could just as much be hindering you and keeping you off the ideal racing line.

I personally would like to see it the way it is in real life, whenever a lap time score is broken, it counts. And it doesn't matter if that was during during a race or when doing laps on your own. I would even prefer the scoreboard to display under which conditions a score was set : during practice, during qualifying, during a race. And that you would be able to filter (or toggle) between these settings. That way everyone who is in a race sets times and the scoreboards are filled with a lot of players thus also populating the leaderboards really well. Especially with so many tracks in game, if TTs are a completely separate game who's going to play them? Maybe 5% of players? I prefer to stay in career mode playing my championships and invitationals and set times at the same time (or multiplayer or free play or quick weekends). If I have snow or rain or bad weather then whatever, it will just be a poor time that can easily be improved next time I race there.

Personally I don't care jack about who is the guy with the biggest e-peen in the top rankings of a scoreboard. I always prefer to see how a certain car I'm driving is performing compared to other cars in the same class. Hence why I would LOVE to see personal scoreboards so much. I don't care how other players perform on scoreboards, I prefer to see how all the cars I drive compare to each other... on XBox.
    Last edited by breyzipp; 02-06-2017 at 19:00.
    enjoying the best of both worlds in my living room - XBox One X SE (+ Elite controller) & PS4 Pro (+ GT:Sport DS4)
    Samsung UE65JS8500L 65" 3D 4K HDR SUHD LED TV ~ Denon AVR-X1300W + 4x Canton CD1090, Canton CD1050, Canton Sub600 ~ Apple TV 4K ~ comfy sofa
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Mad LL, proterra1, Rambo_Commando

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    You've really got to have both, IMO.

TT is an activity that appeals (in a big way) to players who aren't interested in online racing.

At the same time, it'd be cool to have separate WR leaderboards for qualifying and race. It's not about fair, or static, or controlled environments. It's simply about keeping track of records. They do the same thing in real life, and they don't even race the same cars from year to year!

They serve two different groups of people, and they border on mutual exclusivity. I'm sure there are people who do both, but as we can see in this thread already, there are many who are very focused on one or the other.
    COMPETITIVE RACING LICENSE Infographic | FFB INFO | SAFE IS FAST
    PS4 | FANATEC CSL Elite | FANATEC ClubSport Pedals v3
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Leper Messiah, MaximusN

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
    You've really got to have both, IMO.

TT is an activity that appeals (in a big way) to players who aren't interested in online racing.

At the same time, it'd be cool to have separate WR leaderboards for qualifying and race. It's not about fair, or static, or controlled environments. It's simply about keeping track of records. They do the same thing in real life, and they don't even race the same cars from year to year!

They serve two different groups of people, and they border on mutual exclusivity. I'm sure there are people who do both, but as we can see in this thread already, there are many who are very focused on one or the other.
    Would having community events with different weather serve the purpose here. I'm just asking this subject is somewhat complicated. I have seen games where they did record laps from any lap that was set and as stated above it didnt work out so well.
    CAR AIN'T GOT NO ROOF!!!!! - Young Dro

All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small - Lao Tzu

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Community events are always great, because it provides another opportunity similar to TT, but more structured. I don't see it as a replacement for simply tracking lap times in online races and qualifying. Yes, the top of the leaderboard is going to fill up with times from optimal conditions, but that's true of real life racing as well.

I'm curious what you mean by "didn't work out so well". If you mean that people complained... Well... Good luck solving that problem Now, if you were to use the race leaderboard as your only leaderboard, I could see where that could be a problem. I think that's a bad idea in general though.

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by DECATUR PLAYA View Post
    Would having community events with different weather serve the purpose here.
    Going to double-post, because I think using the phrase "the purpose" is a pretty good representation of the problem. There is no singular purpose for a leaderboard. A leaderboard, as an abstract concept, is a method of displaying top performers for a given activity. The constraints placed around inclusion on the leaderboard (necessarily) limit participation to the type of gameplay fits those constraints. Put another way, a TT leaderboard only represents players who have an interest in TT (single-player, solo) racing.

The pCARS community is much too large to be served by a single-purpose leaderboard, IMO. That's my primary point.

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
    Going to double-post, because I think using the phrase "the purpose" is a pretty good representation of the problem. There is no singular purpose for a leaderboard. A leaderboard, as an abstract concept, is a method of displaying top performers for a given activity. The constraints placed around inclusion on the leaderboard (necessarily) limit participation to the type of gameplay fits those constraints. Put another way, a TT leaderboard only represents players who have an interest in TT (single-player, solo) racing.

The pCARS community is much too large to be served by a single-purpose leaderboard, IMO. That's my primary point.
    ^Makes sense.

"Didn't work out so well" simply meant that players that are trying to get to the top of leaderboards couldn't because they couldn't recreate the same conditions as the players they was chasing. Conditions like drafting or slipstreaming as stated above. I do like lap times being pulled from any event because it is more inclusive but yet complicated at the same time.
    CAR AIN'T GOT NO ROOF!!!!! - Young Dro

All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small - Lao Tzu

Platform
    PC
    TT & leaderboards will always be tied together and limited to a specific mode to control conditions. That will never change.

However, what would help those (like myself) who never run TT is to have your own top lap times per car/track combination tracked locally. I know this was brought up with PC1, however so where 10 million other ideas (so it's not like SMS doesn't listen, there is only so much they have time for)... Hopefully something like this happens in the future as this helps bridge the gap for those who don't TT but want to track their own times.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips