Thread: Button Box & VR

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Button Box & VR

Anyone have any experience with button boxes and VR ?

I cant find half my buttons on my wheel with any reliability during the heat of the battle so not sure if a button box would be of much use but I would like to be able to have access to more than the bear minimum I do currently.

As I have a CSW the below is tempting as it does not have too many buttons in a row which I hope means I could find a few whilst driving.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSD-CSW-B.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	237995

Has anyone had any luck with button boxes in VR ? Or is it more like the awkward fumbling with your first crush in the dark
    6700K / 2080TI / 16GB DDR4 / SSD x 2 / M2 x 1 / Dell U3415W / NLR F1GT / Oculus Rift S / Valve Index / Fanatec DD1 / ClubSport V3 Pedals / SQ v1.5 Shifter

Platform
    PC
    I think it's about where you position them. I actually made a mockup (it's tested and working) but "unrefined" (understatement of the year) but have not found a solution to mount it on my rig yet... (for a few months now so it's an ever ending project )

But as anything, practice makes perfect.

Even IRL drivers have to study their wheel functions and all that so they became second nature. Much like using the pedals and an H shifter or the buttons on the radio to turn it on or change the channel, you don't need to look to know where they are.

Just practice when you have it. It's easier than it seems to get used to.
    ---
    My feedback is always on default setup unless stated otherwise. Auto-Clutch is OFF
    Still hoping for Estoril one day

| CPU: i5 8600K@5GHz | GPU: MSI GTX1080 Gaming X 8GB (397.31) (OC: +70/+450) | Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-p
    | RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 GoodRam Iridium 2400Mhz | PSU: Corsair TX850M | OS: Win10 x64 | Sound: Onboard Realtek ACL887 | C:\>: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
    [B]| Monitor:[/B] 3x IPS LG23EA63 @5760x1080 (Bezel Corrected) -- HTC VIVE

| Wheel: CSWv2 + CSPv3(usb) + CSS SQv1.5 - (driver v310 - fw 455) | Damping: 100 | 900
    | In game: Deadzones: 0 |Sensitivity: 50 | Damping: 0
    | Wheel Profile: Sens: Aut | FF: 100 | SHo: 100 | ABS: 0 | Dri: OFF | For: 100 | Spr: 100 | Dpr: 100

| FFB: RAW|Gain: 100 | Volume: 50 | Tone: 50 | FX: 50 [B]

| Visual FX: Default except Interion Flare: Off
    | Performance - Aniso: 16x | MSAA: Medium | Vsync: Off | Grass: Low | Envmap/Reflections/Shadows: Low/medium/low | Car/Track: High | Blur: Off
    | E. Mirrors: Yes | Particles: High/High | SS: 1.2 | Sharpening Strength/Clamp: 0.6/0.045
    | Driving assists: ABS/TC, maybe - SC always OFF
    | CmdLine: -ffb600 -skipcrowds
    The following user likes this Post: SlowBloke

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    In case anyone is wondering about button boxes and VR...

I just got it and with the number, shape and textures of the different buttons, switches and dials you can find your way no problem in a race in VR. In fact its much easier finding these than more than half of the buttons on the wheel (especially the BMW rim)...

So thoroughly recommended !

However - I would not be so sure of a bigger number of buttons that would be similar though.
    6700K / 2080TI / 16GB DDR4 / SSD x 2 / M2 x 1 / Dell U3415W / NLR F1GT / Oculus Rift S / Valve Index / Fanatec DD1 / ClubSport V3 Pedals / SQ v1.5 Shifter

Platform
    PC
    Same problem here, as the keyboard is not the best addon in VR I bought a Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack (http://www.thrustmaster.com/de_DE/pr...fd-cougar-pack) it's a good solution for a reasonable price.
    I used only one of the to button panels. The switches are easy to find as in the corners are 2way switches so it's easy to know where you are. I use the place in the middle for a description template to remember the function before I go into VR. For example the switch in the right upper corner is for me seat up, down and the two buttons left from it are seat to front, back.
    Wheel: Fanatec Podium DD Wheelbase, HE Sprint Pedals, Thrustmaster TH8A Add-On Shifter
    System: Win 10 (1903) / Intel Core i9 9900K / Geforce RTX 2080TI
    Monitor: AOC C3583FQ 35" 21:9 (2560x1080)
    VR Headset: Valve Index, HTC Vive wireless

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I just got my DSD panels installed and I am loving them. I spent some time planning my layout and have a spreadsheet showing the options of the game that I use and how I laid them out for my F1 Wheel and BMW wheel. Attachments below. Hopefully it might be useful.....

I also got JoytoKey and mapped the left joystick on my wheel to work as a mouse and left mouse click. I can get around the screen without having to use the keyboard. It works very well.

All in all it does not take a lot of time to memorize the button layouts and how to use them with the VR headset on. Great fun!

Layout.xlsLayout.xlsFunction List.xls
    Last edited by dpj463; 30-07-2017 at 17:32.
    Gigabyte Z390 mobo, i9-9900K, 32gb ram, GTX 1080 ti, OSW DD 20nm wheel, SimRacing Machine USB converter, Fanatec F1 and Bmw GT rims, Fanatec V3 pedals, Fanatec Shifter, Fanatec handbrake, 2 DSD button box OSW panels, Oculus Rift CV1, 2 SimRacingStudio wind sim fans, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Wart Hog hotas, GT Omega Pro cockpit, Simshaker Jet Seat, 8 transducers - 2 ADX Maximus , 2 BK Adv, 1 BK LFE, 1 TST 209, 1 TST 239,
    The following user likes this Post: SlowBloke

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Considering I was working with pencils and a blank page - this is an improvement - thanks