Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Project CARS 2 - general discussion thread

Platform
    PC
    Considering it is being targeted at the same generation of consoles as the first, I would expect graphics quality to be roughly the same.

Perspective is a key factor here. PCARS1 was initially praised for it's graphics. In the case of the playstation it was the first racing game on that console.

Now all of a sudden FM7 and GTS come out (first efforts on these consoles) and because they have improved their quality by leaps and bounds over their previous title (built for older gen consoles) everyone starts complaining about pcars 2 graphics. It's not that the other games are better, it's just hat they have finally caught up. But since pcars1 was already there the new game isn't as big a leap.
    CanAm Virtual Racing League - League President Twitter: @canamvrl @F1_Racer68
    System Specs
    CPU - AMD FX-8370 w/Wraith Cooler MoBo - GB-78LMT-USB3 (Rev 6.0) RAM - ADATA 12GB 1600 DDR3, Video - Zotac GTX950 AMP! 2GB DDR5, OS - Win10 Pro 64bit, SSD - Corsair 240GB Force LE, Controller - Fanatec CSW v2.5, CSL Elite LC Pedals, DIY Button Box Monitor - Samsung UN28H4000AF 28" LED x3

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by honespc View Post
    Is the game like more colourful than the first, or it's just the sun and the weather at that particular time or season?
    Yes, and yes...

The lighting engine was re-written and everything is just more lively than in PC1 (not that it wasn't already nice). Also, the seasons really do a make a difference in the feel when driving. If you want fall colors instead of the normal "sim racing green", you just use a fall date.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | 2x EVGA GTX 970 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | 2x Buttkickers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    Known Issues
    The following 3 users likes this Post: cluck, honespc, Roger Prynne

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by F1_Racer68 View Post
    Considering it is being targeted at the same generation of consoles as the first, I would expect graphics quality to be roughly the same.

Perspective is a key factor here. PCARS1 was initially praised for it's graphics. In the case of the playstation it was the first racing game on that console.

Now all of a sudden FM7 and GTS come out (first efforts on these consoles) and because they have improved their quality by leaps and bounds over their previous title (built for older gen consoles) everyone starts complaining about pcars 2 graphics. It's not that the other games are better, it's just hat they have finally caught up. But since pcars1 was already there the new game isn't as big a leap.
    Graphically not but the car list of PC2 is something we could only dream of when SMS started WMD.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz | Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 970 4GB | Asus P8Z68 Deluxe | 2x Corsair Vengeance 8GB (16GB) | Samsung 840 Evo 256GB | Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB | Logitech G27 all standard | Cooler Master PSU 700W | Cooler Master HAF 932
    The following 3 users likes this Post: F1_Racer68, hkraft300, MillsLayne

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F1_Racer68 View Post

Well, Pcars 2 is a multiplatform game where some sacrifices have to be made to ensure the game runs well on all platforms. GTS is a PS4 only game where they can pour all their resources to make one platform with 2 configuraitons to run well. No doubt FM7 is multiplatform but consider that Microsoft can throw a lot more money at Forza than SMS could. Looking at FM7 minimum specs, it does seemed like Microsoft had put in a lot of effort to ensure that FM7 will run well on even the quite potato PCs.

The other thing about Pcars 2 is, there are a lot more aspect to simulate where it is not only the tire physics, the game has to simulate Livetrack, weather, larger grids along with a much more demanding tire physics.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: F1_Racer68, Roger Prynne

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    Yes, and yes...

The lighting engine was re-written and everything is just more lively than in PC1 (not that it wasn't already nice). Also, the seasons really do a make a difference in the feel when driving. If you want fall colors instead of the normal "sim racing green", you just use a fall date.
    Good to know. I hope I can appreciate it on my monitor on sRGB mode. "Escenario" mode just destroys your retina as It processes colours too much in an attempt to imitate IPS panels (but retaining same 1ms = 16'9 true ms delay as in sRGB mode), making reds look more like oranges; oranges feel weird, etc.

I should notice the difference even in sRGB with those changes. We'll see.
    i7-4790k_Cooler Master V8 gts / 970 G1 / Asus Ranger 7/ 16gbg-skill Trident ddr3 1600 / Seasonic g650w gold / Samsung 850 pro 500Gb_WD 1TB green / nzxt 530 white / rehobus fan controller nzxt sentry 3_3x20cm fans cooler master megaflow red led / Asus vs278q 1ms 27'/ t300 gte_t3pa

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    This video looks awesome and it is nice to see a Porsche in action....but is driving in the rain the same as driving on dry? I mean, it seems to be ok to abuse the curbs in the rain and at high speed sections, the driver seems to go pedal to the metal...weird.
    The following user likes this Post: honespc

Platform
    PC
    That video does look pretty grippy.
    i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz | AMD HD 7970 | 16GB RAM | Logitech G27 + TH8A shifter | Next Level Racing Wheel Stand

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Silraed View Post
    agree....it is as if the rain effects were only visual, not affecting the handling?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by OddTimer View Post
    This video looks awesome and it is nice to see a Porsche in action....but is driving in the rain the same as driving on dry? I mean, it seems to be ok to abuse the curbs in the rain and at high speed sections, the driver seems to go pedal to the metal...weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silraed View Post
    It's because of the localized weather. This is a guess though as I don't play the beta builds.

If you pay attention to the sectors where he goes without mercy on the throttle, they seem to be the ones where the tarmac is more or less dry. You can also confirm this "dry" sectors when you look that there's no rain drops colliding with the windshield, or just very light rain that gets immidiately removed by the whippers, but as soon as we see the raindrops again in the windshield and the water in the tarmac, he suddenly begins to counter-act those sudden oversteer strikes from the back end of the car.

He's also supposed to be using, at the very least rain slicks, which should grant him insane grip on the dry sectors until they begin to burn. But since there is also wet sectors in the track, the tyres are supposed to cool down while riding them.

And on this last ^sentence above..., that said, what It would be really interesting to check is the tyre temps on these "dry" sectors as the driver goes insane on the throttle, and if they actually go red, for then cool down again when he enters the wet tarmac. But again, the intel, I mean the info that truly matters is not shown on screen once more, why?.

This is precisely what I've been asking for in other posts, and what needs to change in future videos we are going to be shown. We need to make ourselves sure the tyre model is going to work as intended when it comes to these critical areas, so arranged long races become finally become as interesting as they should have been in the first game, with the tyres now working as they should.
    Last edited by honespc; 19-06-2017 at 11:08.
    i7-4790k_Cooler Master V8 gts / 970 G1 / Asus Ranger 7/ 16gbg-skill Trident ddr3 1600 / Seasonic g650w gold / Samsung 850 pro 500Gb_WD 1TB green / nzxt 530 white / rehobus fan controller nzxt sentry 3_3x20cm fans cooler master megaflow red led / Asus vs278q 1ms 27'/ t300 gte_t3pa
    The following user likes this Post: beetes_juice

Platform
    PC
    ^more or less nailed it on the head.

Will add a few things:
    1) This was only rain/fog after 1 flyer prior. The rain is not very severe (I compare it to the light rain preset we have in pcars1), bump the weather up to heavy rain/storm, its an entirely different ball game.
    2) Localized freaking weather. From my other post:

Think its tough to say. Don't have any RL experience with this but will say the track was alive - hitting your marks was a different challenge each second. Top part of the track down to Aremberg seemed to have more grip and less rain saturation. Could push it a little more and ride curbs. 100% could feel the track changed entering Adenauer Forst to Bergwerk and Karussell to really the start of Dottinger Höhe, it was a mess with water building up. Final 3 corners were understeer city with the rain build up.

3) While yes it looks like I'm going full out, new tech for inside the cockpit (depending on car) will help handle these situations - See Nikki Thiims Le Mans part 2 Vlog when he goes over the Astons cockpit/Wheel.

And main thing to remember, this is all WIP, few of us replying here are all over on WMD and devs are available to view at their pleasure. Def glad people are giving their input as the end goal is a great simulation. There is a 100+ page thread going on specifically for GT physics/tires/BoP over on the other side - from the feedback in there and now the public getting views, think the blue guys will nail it down.
    Project CARS 2 Driver Eye Youtube Playlist
    Current Rig: Monitor: Sharp 42" LED | VR: Oculus Rift CV1 | CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.0GHz | GPU:STRIX 1080TI OC | MB: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING | Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB M.2 + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + WD BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 3200MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: EVGA 850W G2 80+GOLD
    Hardware: Wheel: FAN PC HUB | Pedals: FAN V2 | Rim: FAN GT US
    The following 4 users likes this Post: AbeWoz, hkraft300, Konan, OddTimer