Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game crash - Exception Access Violation

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    i have the same issue. Are you suspecting uxtheme because it's in the display stack section of the "mwldumpsessionfnl.0x000008dc.dmp.txt" file? Are you able to read the dump file and find any more information? It should point to the line of code where the crash occurred.

I'm going to try to take a full dump using procdump.exe and wait for the exception to occur. I've also began experiencing this issue and I can play other games without issue (GTA V, Forza Horizon).

I think this problem is beyond simple troubleshooting. I suspect a problem in the code or some sort of handling is needed. When I open the dump in visual studio I see this:

Dump Summary
    ------------
    Last Write Time: 7/16/2017 5:01:52 PM
    Process Name: pCARS64.exe : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\pCars\pCARS64.exe
    Process Architecture: x64
    Exception Code: 0xC0000005
    Exception Information: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
    Heap Information: Not Present

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by sublimelime View Post
    i have the same issue. Are you suspecting uxtheme because it's in the display stack section of the "mwldumpsessionfnl.0x000008dc.dmp.txt" file? Are you able to read the dump file and find any more information? It should point to the line of code where the crash occurred.

I'm going to try to take a full dump using procdump.exe and wait for the exception to occur. I've also began experiencing this issue and I can play other games without issue (GTA V, Forza Horizon).

I think this problem is beyond simple troubleshooting. I suspect a problem in the code or some sort of handling is needed. When I open the dump in visual studio I see this:

Dump Summary
    ------------
    Last Write Time: 7/16/2017 5:01:52 PM
    Process Name: pCARS64.exe : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\pCars\pCARS64.exe
    Process Architecture: x64
    Exception Code: 0xC0000005
    Exception Information: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
    Heap Information: Not Present
    procdump didn't help, as when pc crashed my system blue screened. I had a nice 17mb dump file, but it didn't seem to help much. Instead, I re-opened one of the games mini-dumps with windbg and see this:

FOLLOWUP_IP:
    gameoverlayrenderer64!VulkanSteamOverlayProcessCapturedFrame+14a36
    00007ffb`b7f5b956 8b4b18 mov ecx,dword ptr [rbx+18h]

Now I'm wondering if the steam overlay is causing the issue. I'll try disabling it and see if it helps.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    procdump didn't help, as when pc crashed my system blue screened. I had a nice 17mb dump file, but it didn't seem to help much. Instead, I re-opened one of the games mini-dumps with windbg and see this:

FOLLOWUP_IP:
    gameoverlayrenderer64!VulkanSteamOverlayProcessCapturedFrame+14a36
    00007ffb`b7f5b956 8b4b18 mov ecx,dword ptr [rbx+18h]

Now I'm wondering if the steam overlay is causing the issue. I'll try disabling it and see if it helps.
    didn't help, crashed again.

FOLLOWUP_IP:
    nvwgf2umx!NVAPI_Thunk+34301
    00007fff`d9014811 488b5518 mov rdx,qword ptr [rbp+18h]

different crash this time it seems.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Al View Post
    OK common bit seems to be the uxtheme problem.. see end of this post and see if that helps

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1055076

I changed to "adjust for best performance", but still crash after 20-30sec of drive.
    Log:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxG...ew?usp=sharing

If you have ANY overlays, turn them off... that includes MSI afterburner, Steam, Geforce etc. etc.

Whilst loads of people can run without any issues with some (or in some cases many) overlays.. it really does seem some people have some massive issues with them on

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - MS HABU Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - Gigabyte GTX1060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad
    The following user likes this Post: Roger Prynne

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    If you have ANY overlays, turn them off... that includes MSI afterburner, Steam, Geforce etc. etc.

Whilst loads of people can run without any issues with some (or in some cases many) overlays.. it really does seem some people have some massive issues with them on
    without looking at the exception from a dump file you don't really know. I'm really surprised the developers haven't with all the process dumps that have been uploaded. The last one I uploaded seems to indicate possible bug in the project cars code. In which case, no matter what we do, we cannot "fix" the bug by disabling overlays and other such nonsense. It simply has to be fixed by the developers.

Platform
    PC
    It simply has to be fixed by the developers.
    It's possible there is an event handling problem that only affects you which could be addressed in a code change. No doubt. However, it seems unlikely to be solely a Project CARS problem if only a very small minority are experiencing the issue. Typically when there is a major software bug, everyone is affected. This would more point back to something specific with those individual machines and/or builds if it's not happening for everyone (or even a large majority of the user population).
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

The only time I ever had exception errors was during development when specific bugs were introduced through code issues (and rapidly fixed), I've not had a single one since release and I do run Steam overlay (and sometimes Afterburner and Shadowplay too)... and I've played a few hours over the years and across something around 9 different hardware builds and using XP, Vista (32 bit), 7 64 bit (Pro and Home), 8 (32 and 64 bit), 8.1 (Pro 64 bit) and Windows 10 (Home and Pro, 64 bit). That includes going through upgrades from 7 to 8 to 10 on two machines as well as full fresh installs (and running a mix of AMD/Intel and NVidia hardware, from the bottom of the requirements barrel to top end)
    As for examining code dumps, yes SMS have indeed seen plenty as you may have noticed the person who posted in the thread I linked to is actually the QA lead... and he definitely sent plenty of dumps up to the devs...

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - MS HABU Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - Gigabyte GTX1060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad
    The following user likes this Post: Roger Prynne

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    The only time I ever had exception errors was during development when specific bugs were introduced through code issues (and rapidly fixed), I've not had a single one since release and I do run Steam overlay (and sometimes Afterburner and Shadowplay too)
    Same goes for me.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    It's possible there is an event handling problem that only affects you which could be addressed in a code change. No doubt. However, it seems unlikely to be solely a Project CARS problem if only a very small minority are experiencing the issue. Typically when there is a major software bug, everyone is affected. This would more point back to something specific with those individual machines and/or builds if it's not happening for everyone (or even a large majority of the user population).
    I'll try cleaning the driver software and reinstalling. I think I read on the other thread it's been tried already by others so who knows.
    Last edited by sublimelime; 17-07-2017 at 22:47.