Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do a good deed - help a rookie! [Guide]

Platform
    PC

Do a good deed - help a rookie! [Guide]

Hello pro drivers!

After buying a wheel and a having a lot of practice, my still bad laptimes just hit a wall. I'm still 10s worse than best drivers and i have no idea how to improve them.
    I know its not car setup, I'm just... not the best driver yet.
    I need suggestions - how did you boost your times? Are there people or clans willing to help novice driver?

*UPDATE* - Best suggestions of PC community and my experience

1. THEORY
    - Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SAFEisFAST/videos
    - Read this: https://learn.speedsecrets.com/wp-co...Bentley_-1.pdf
    - And this: Driving On The Edge: The Art and Science of Race Driving
    - Leave racing aids (ABS, ESP, Stability control) OFF - if you'll learn to race without them, later with some of them in extreme time of need, you'll be a "DRIVING GOD" (Richard Hammond (tm)
    - Check your Force Feedback settings. You need to know exactly whats happening with your car, and steering wheel is the only instrument that can tell you that.
    - inthebagbud completed a wonderful database of resources for PC - USE IT http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...rces-for-Pcars

2. PRACTICE
    - First of all - SLOW DOWN - Theres no point of starting your adventure with racing games in Pagani Zonda Revolucion, and expect good results. What's the point of driving at 300 km/h if you don't know how to use that speed in the corner? Yes, LMP and FA cars have massive amount of grip that make you think you are driving fast, but first online race will shatter your dreams.Start with cars like BMW 1-Series, BAC Mono, KTM X-bow, Lotus Type 25 Climax, Lotus 49C Cosworth. Those cars won't let you go too fast so you'll have TIME TO THINK, find best brake points, best line to take corner. Later get ones with more horsepower – Road B, GT4, GT3 ETC.
    - "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast." - late braking is for crucial overtaking ONLY - time will come to master that skill. Now lift the brake pedal waaay before the corner, FOCUS ON THE RACING LINE and taking the turn (outside apex, inside apex, outside apex) precisely with no power. Later, use this http://www.drivingfast.net/tackling-corners/
    Use every inch of the track. SLOW IN, FAST OUT.
    - While practicing, concider each turn individually while practicing the racing line. Master each one at a time, later connect the dots on the whole racetrack.
    - If you can’t keep up online, race with AI drivers and simply follow them, copy their moves. Later up their skill level by 15% and start over.
    - Be patient and make no mistakes. Many other drivers ahead of you will make mistakes and you will beat them. BE CONSISTENT.

Are there some important points to be made? WRITE THEM DOWN, post will be updated later
    Last edited by ossyoscar; 25-08-2017 at 10:15.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Incognito204, VelvetTorpedo

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by ossyoscar View Post
    Hello pro drivers!

After buying a wheel and a having a lot of practice, my still bad laptimes just hit a wall. I'm still 10s worse than best drivers and i have no idea how to improve them.
    I know its not car setup, I'm just... not the best driver yet.
    I need suggestions - how did you boost your times? Are there people or clans willing to help novice driver?
    Practice practice practice

start out slow around a circuit and gradually go faster and dont over drive the corners
    Jackie Stewart - "Sometimes you need to ease off in order to go faster"
    Ayrton Senna - “If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver”
    Steam ID: Dault3883 If u add me on steam send message on forum with ur steam id. If i dont know who the steam friend request belongs to i will ignore it.

Platform
    PC
    Take a look at this thread:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...my-own-efforts

Also, if you are new to racing/performance driving, this video will give you a little jump start (it's old, but the concepts are still taught the same today):

Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | 2x EVGA GTX 970 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | 2x Buttkickers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following 3 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Konan, ossyoscar

Platform
    XBOX1
    Agreed....practice. Just run laps and you'll start to develop more feel. Also play around with the FFB settings until you can feel understeer and oversteer and you can catch an oversteer before it becomes a spin. A good telemetry program such as vrHive can help you find out where you're losing time as well.
    Strike 1: No mid-race saves. Strike 2: Dumbed down FFB for consoles. Strike 3: ?
    Xbox One | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2
    The following user likes this Post: Konan

Platform
    PC
    Which track is best for practice, short with all types of corners?

Platform
    PC
    i practice on the stock car layout at watkins glen and Laguna seca but i wouldnt recomend the latter unless you can get through the cork screw

sonoma is a good track its got lots of area you could end up going off but its really momentem based

if you want a fairly good test track like you are describing the Mohave test track has tons of configurations you could do

its kinda hard to say different people like different tracks depending on their driving style
    Ayrton Senna - “If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver”
    Steam ID: Dault3883 If u add me on steam send message on forum with ur steam id. If i dont know who the steam friend request belongs to i will ignore it.

Platform
    PC
    The best idea is to start with one of the short variations of one of the tracks. Why? More repetitions in a shorter amount of time. Being able to get 20 laps in within 20 minutes verses 9-10 laps in 20 minutes gives you more chances evaluate and adjust things. Look at tracks like Oulton Park Foster, Snetterton 200, Catalunya National.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | 2x EVGA GTX 970 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | 2x Buttkickers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following 3 users likes this Post: ossyoscar, poirqc, VelvetTorpedo

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    The best idea is to start with one of the short variations of one of the tracks. Why? More repetitions in a shorter amount of time. Being able to get 20 laps in within 20 minutes verses 9-10 laps in 20 minutes gives you more chances evaluate and adjust things. Look at tracks like Oulton Park Foster, Snetterton 200, Catalunya National.
    agreed i stick to the longer ones like laguna seca and watkins glen and sonoma because im familiar with the tracks layout and turns from other games. so i have a good idea on how the course is going to run and how i like the car its one less variable for me

Platform
    XBOX1
    Somebody gave me a good piece of advice one time. They said just concentrate on one or two turns per lap. Don't worry about all the other ones, just focus on one turn and try to get it right. Then when you have it down reasonably well, move on to another corner and work on it. Also don't be afraid to experiment. Sometimes a little serendipity works in your favor and you can learn something from what you thought was a mistake.
    Strike 1: No mid-race saves. Strike 2: Dumbed down FFB for consoles. Strike 3: ?
    Xbox One | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2
    The following 3 users likes this Post: hkraft300, ossyoscar, poirqc

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    At 10 seconds a lap I doubt it's just your driving, it suggests you need to ensure the wheel settings are right.

I use a controller and for the first few days i was a million miles off but when i got the controller settings right i started improving. I am now maybe 3 seconds off the absolute fastest guys, which is a lot but means I can race online and fight at least.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: MULTIVITZ, racesafegrandad