Thread: Pits, paces, and user control

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Pits, paces, and user control

One thing that I tend to regard as "careful what you wish for" is manual control in "safety" situations: pit lane, pace laps, and the like.

I understand and appreciate the desire for user control of pit stops: a full-service stop at Zolder is enough time to dash to the fridge and grab a soft drink. I get it. But then, I see the pit exit at Spa, and thank my lucky stars I don't have to manually squeeze an LMP1 between those walls. O_O >.<

So, for pit stops, if full manual control becomes a reality, it should be an option; those of us who are a bit too timid for some of the narrow pit lanes would appreciate having a choice.

One other possibility, would be a "hybrid" system. Perhaps a pit stop, or formation lap, or yellow flag area/safety car situation, could be done as a series of quick-time events: that keeps the player engaged in real time, without bogging him down with too many "fine-tune" moves. In other words, for a pit stop, it could be, brake to pit speed, brake to box, turn in, brake to stop, gear up, turn out, accelerate to pit speed, turn to exit, resume race controls. Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by CassielLight View Post
    One thing that I tend to regard as "careful what you wish for" is manual control in "safety" situations: pit lane, pace laps, and the like.

I understand and appreciate the desire for user control of pit stops: a full-service stop at Zolder is enough time to dash to the fridge and grab a soft drink. I get it. But then, I see the pit exit at Spa, and thank my lucky stars I don't have to manually squeeze an LMP1 between those walls. O_O >.<

So, for pit stops, if full manual control becomes a reality, it should be an option; those of us who are a bit too timid for some of the narrow pit lanes would appreciate having a choice.

One other possibility, would be a "hybrid" system. Perhaps a pit stop, or formation lap, or yellow flag area/safety car situation, could be done as a series of quick-time events: that keeps the player engaged in real time, without bogging him down with too many "fine-tune" moves. In other words, for a pit stop, it could be, brake to pit speed, brake to box, turn in, brake to stop, gear up, turn out, accelerate to pit speed, turn to exit, resume race controls. Or something like that.
    For PC2 the manual stuff is all optional.. either you drive (formation lap, pit and slow down lap) or the AI does it for you and you can mix and match those

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - MS HABU Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + Clubsport pedals + shifter set - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - Gigabyte GTX1060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i3-4130T - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad
    The following 4 users likes this Post: CassielLight, hkraft300, Konan, Roger Prynne

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Fair enough. I'm actually tossing the "hybrid" idea out as an exploratory idea for PC3.

I mean, I assume there's some initial work being done on PC3 already, what with the green flag dropping on PC2 in a few scant weeks and all...