Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It doesn't get any more OT than this: Irma

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

It doesn't get any more OT than this: Irma

Okay, so for those who aren't following, Hurricane Irma is packing winds at 180 mph as of the last update, it seems to be heading right this way...and I have no way to evacuate if it's so ordered. I'm on the west side of Tampa Bay, far enough away from the Gulf, but right now, it's the bay that I'm worrying about. After seeing what Isabel and Ivan did with the Chesapeake in Baltimore, well...

Anyway, apologies for working every possible angle on this, but hey, praemonitus, praemunitus. So if anyone on this board is in the area (Pinellas County), or knows someone who is, who could help me get out of here in a pinch, PM me, please.

I will post updates as I can. Jose is on deck in the Central Atlantic, too, so more skies to watch. November can't get here fast enough.

Platform
    PS4
    Whatever you do,just be very careful...i hope you get through ok,i'll be rooting for you anyway...
    I NEVER LOSE...I WIN OR LEARN...
    A special thanks to SMS and WMD for putting up with me all these years!
    The following user likes this Post: bporion

Platform
    PC
    All the best mate, but is a global sim racing forum the best place to be asking for help? Surely there are larger local communities (never mind emergency\government services) where the odds of finding help are higher?

MB Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe // CPU Intel i5 3570K // RAM G.Skill 16GB DDR3 @2133MHz // GPU Gigabyte nVidia Titan X // HDD 4x 2TB Western Digital // SSD Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

CPU Cooler Corsair H80 // Case CoolerMaster 650 Silencio // Display ASUS PG34Q 34" 3440x1400 100Hz G-SYNC LCD // Speakers Logitech Z5500-D 5.1ch // OS Windows 10 Pro x64// Build Default Parameters

VR Oculus Rift CV1 // Wheel Fanatec CSR Elite // Pedals Fanatec Clubsport // Shifter Thrustmaster TH8RS with InterfaceOne wheel adapter // Head Tracking TrackIR v4 // Audio Transducer ButtKicker Gamer v2.0 // Seat PlaySeat Executive
    The following user likes this Post: Konan

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryzza5 View Post
    All the best mate, but is a global sim racing forum the best place to be asking for help? Surely there are larger local communities (never mind emergency\government services) where the odds of finding help are higher?
    I put it in off-topic, and it's not political or religious. And I DID say I'm working every possible angle, didn't I?

I am already communicating with everyone I know, neighbors, extended family, and old friends included. I know where the emergency shelters are in-county, and I've got my bag packed if the order goes out. This is "in addition to," not "in lieu of." Fair enough?
    The following user likes this Post: OddTimer

Platform
    PC
    All good mate, hope it works out.

MB Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe // CPU Intel i5 3570K // RAM G.Skill 16GB DDR3 @2133MHz // GPU Gigabyte nVidia Titan X // HDD 4x 2TB Western Digital // SSD Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

CPU Cooler Corsair H80 // Case CoolerMaster 650 Silencio // Display ASUS PG34Q 34" 3440x1400 100Hz G-SYNC LCD // Speakers Logitech Z5500-D 5.1ch // OS Windows 10 Pro x64// Build Default Parameters

VR Oculus Rift CV1 // Wheel Fanatec CSR Elite // Pedals Fanatec Clubsport // Shifter Thrustmaster TH8RS with InterfaceOne wheel adapter // Head Tracking TrackIR v4 // Audio Transducer ButtKicker Gamer v2.0 // Seat PlaySeat Executive

Platform
    XBOX1
    Can't help other than to say best of luck. I've been through more hurricanes than I can count and they're no fun unless you're 7 years old. Then they're a blast. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. So hope for the best but prepare for the worst. My thoughts are with you because I know what you're going through. Hopefully for you the models have this one right and it will slide up the east coast.
    Last edited by Schnizz58; 06-09-2017 at 12:37.
    Strike 1: No mid-race saves. Strike 2: Dumbed down FFB for consoles. Strike 3: ?
    Xbox One | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnizz58 View Post
    I've been through more hurricanes than I can count and they're no fun unless you're 7 years old. Then they're a blast.
    Well. I will risk giving the impression that I'm not taking this seriously. But I know hurricanes are horrible and aside from GTFO there's little you can do.
    However reaching out to fellow sim racers in your local hurricane area can have benefits.
    I mean you could hook up a rig or 3 and race away til the storm passes.
    Or kills the power
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    You put your left pedal in, You take your left pedal out,
    You put your right pedal in, And you slide it all about...
    G29 settings.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: CassielLight, Schnizz58

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    Well. I will risk giving the impression that I'm not taking this seriously. But I know hurricanes are horrible and aside from GTFO there's little you can do.
    It's kind of weird. Nobody used to talk about GTFO'ing when a storm came unless you lived right on the coast. (In Camille [1969] a lot of people on the Miss. coast were killed by the storm surge.) I lived further inland and we just boarded up the windows, hunkered down and rode it out. Afterwards we ate a lot of grilled stuff while the freezer was still cold and sweated a lot until the power came back on. Now you're considered crazy as a crackhouse rat to even consider riding one out. Maybe we were just poor and had nowhere else to go.

Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    I mean you could hook up a rig or 3 and race away til the storm passes.
    Or kills the power
    That my friend is why Honda makes generators. They're much more reliable than their F1 engines. (A mental image just flashed into my head of a guy surrounded by rubble sitting in his sim rig with a VR headset on and driving his ass off while the world falls apart all around him.)

Just texted a friend of mine near Ft. Myers (S. Fl. on the Gulf side) and she replied "We are prepared. We have two generators, 50 gallons of gas and 6 cases of beer." I told her that was good preparedness but I was concerned that she was little light on beer.

Last edited by Schnizz58; 06-09-2017 at 23:29.
    Strike 1: No mid-race saves. Strike 2: Dumbed down FFB for consoles. Strike 3: ?
    Xbox One | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PS4
    If you don't have the means to stock up, by all means: go to a shelter.

Otherwise, provide shelter for your neighbours,/ friends/ community.

If you have a Genny, get a 24HR race going. Driver swaps and everything

Quote Originally Posted by Schnizz58 View Post
    (A mental image just flashed into my head of a guy surrounded by rubble sitting in his sim rig with a VR headset on and driving his ass off while the world falls apart all around him.)

Just texted a friend of mine near Ft. Myers (S. Fl. on the Gulf side) and she replied "We are prepared. We have two generators, 50 gallons of gas and 6 cases of beer." I told her that was good preparedness but I was concerned that she was little light on beer.
    that's the ticket!
    Last edited by hkraft300; 07-09-2017 at 02:35.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    You put your left pedal in, You take your left pedal out,
    You put your right pedal in, And you slide it all about...
    G29 settings.

Platform
    PC
    We had Harvey last week, and now Irma is coming. I guess we're just going to have hurricanes every week now.
    "Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all of my life. And it stands up before anything else." - Ayrton Senna

Steam l PC specs