Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions from a Forza fan.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    I fell out of love for the GT series because of the need to unlock this and graduate that ana 2 hour pointless race to get to the "next stage", honestly just loathed it, so much wasted time.

PCARS is about the racing, get in and drive whatever you like.
    The following 4 users likes this Post: amazed, hkraft300, Konan, VelvetTorpedo

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG ReDDoG View Post
    Hello everyone,been playing Forza off and on thru the years.Decided to get back in the console fun with the XBX coming out soon.First thing im not that guy that says this is better and your game sucks.Having never played PC(really excited about PC2),i have a few questions.(1)Im mostly a campaign lover but online can be fun.-I know theres info everywhere on the game but for the people that have played both PC and Forza,or just PC,Did you enjoy the career mode?Unlocks rewards ect.(2)Is it easy to setup custom online games?Forza seems to not want to do this,unless its private lobby.(3)And this is my loaded question-How is it playing online?1st turn crashers with no kick penalty?Or does PC have built in penalties?Like tires-sand -slow grass for curb jumpers.Hows the online community?

Once again im all in on what ive seen so far,variety is the spice of life.Please dont take this as a Forza bash thread or a PC bash thread.Even if you have never played Forza you input is great appreciated.They both offer alot.I have just a few concerns that wont stop me from enjoying both games.Thanks - keep on keeping on...
    Well, you have to look at this way. Most of the guys saying, "this is better and your game sucks." They have not put time in behind a wheel of a vehicle long enough to know specific things. The call into question some of the professional drivers SMS uses. My job as a Law Enforcement Officer for 11+ years and current age 39, I can respond daily to things well exceeding +100 mph(excluding rain). What I will tell you, every game has it's positives and negatives. One is not just completely superior to the other or the sim to end all sims. When, I made the decision to jump into WMD 2 two years ago after all of the initial negativity of the first title. I did not expect the final ride with WMD2. Since May, I have helped at the WMD2 forums. It has been something, that I will look forward to at WMD 3 and it is something just to be able to help SMS out with the experience. Maurice Boeschen and I were able provide values for a late tweak to something in the ffb that made it into the day one patch. The reply about the adjustment was very positive from the SMS Physics side, since it affected the handling of the vehicles. So, I think out of the box you will enjoy Project CARS 2. It's not perfect, but dang close!

Well FORZA, I have played 1-4, & 6 Apex (not 5 or 6 on consoles). I did not enjoy the grind in FORZA's for the 20,000,000 or + cars, but I did enjoy different aspects of the game and the same for the Gran Turismo Series. I have been looking at FORZA 7, but I'm still unsure atm. But, I have always wanted a GT(which will probably never happen, now it will after posting this probably) or FORZA title on PC, Apex was not enough.

Copied from some of Cluck's posts at gtplanet (hope you don't mind!),

"The biggest problem is, we all have our own subjective opinion of which sim feels 'right'. In reality, none of them have actually got it right but, some of them have got a lot closer than others. Personally, I used to be a big fan of Live For Speed (I still have it on my PC, with the S2 license bought heaven only knows how many years ago) but I simply cannot drive it now. The main reason is the same as I have for a lot of sims in that I know I'm playing a sim.

Let me put it another way.

I was in the last MP test for pCARS2 last night, that our league organised as the official testing league during development and I was driving the 488 GT3 in quali. After 2 or 3 laps of getting the tyres up to temp, something clicked, the car came alive, it felt 100% natural, 100% perfect and for the next 4 or 5 laps I was in an almost trance-like state. I wasn't thinking about driving, I was simply driving. No other sim has ever given me that same feeling, the one where you lose all sense of "I'm driving a game here". I'm sure my words will be discarded by many as "paid shill" (oh, if only I was paid!) but I can honestly say that it was a joy, a pleasure, a delight, a wonderful thing, to be driving that car right then. The only reason I stopped was because I ran out of fuel and, by the time I had got the tyres up to temp again, the quali session was over.

When you have a game/sim that lets you completely forget you're driving a game, you know you're playing something very special indeed. And last night was not an isolated incident, the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago when a 'quick play with the McLaren 650 GT3' turned into 2 hours of "lost in the moment" joy of racing.

Is pCARS2 perfect? No. No sim ever will be. But at it's best, there is nothing to touch it, nothing to recreate that "I am at one with this car right now" feeling.

So, for the record, I stand by everything I have posted with regards car behaviour. I rarely stick my head about the parapet, to discuss car behaviour (let alone physics or FFB) because I cannot express it in language that the sim-experts want to read. Even less so can I express my feelings based on first-hand experience of the cars in the game (for which I have none). I can only tell you how it feels to me, as a driver. A driver that regularly tracked a 300 - 350 hp, RWD, car around most of the well known circuits in the UK. A driver that exceeded the UK speed limits by far more than the UK speed limit in the first place on an almost daily basis (not that I am proud of it, I simply had the car and the roads around me to make that possible). In short, I know what it feels like to drive fast (very fast) both on the road and on the track. Therefore, I can 'only' express my feelings of a sim from that experience, not from the experience of A N Other sim. To me, right now, I get a massive kick out of driving in pCARS2. Well, I did. Like the rest of us at WMD2, I've got to wait until release day now before I can play it again."
    Last edited by GTsimms; 15-09-2017 at 23:47.
    WMD2 Member
    Project CARS 2 T150 & T300 RS (TMCP default) Raw Gain 100 / Vol 20 (T150 or Vol 18 with FX 14) / Tone 50 / FX 0 or 14 with FANATEC HANDBRAKE V1.0
    Win 10 Home 64bit ASUS Prime Z270-A/i7 7700K 4.5 GHz, 32 GB GSKILL Trident White 3200, EVGA SC GTX 1070 (MSI AfterBurner 109/89/124/425) Oculus Rift CV1 (VR Cover for eyewear)
    The following 7 users likes this Post: amazed, born2bslow, breyzipp, cluck, hkraft300, Konan, ShneebnaMRR108

Platform
    XBOX1
    Refreshing to hear.My happy level just keeps rising.Time to dust off my Microsoft wheel!
    GT is GT, Forza is Forza, when you play both the cars all feel pretty much generic if you ask me. Sure a hot hatch is different from a classic muscle car and a supercar, but within a certain class it's all pretty much generic with some minor differences.

I can't speak for PCARS 2 yet but only PCARS 1 - Over there the game was not too kind on the controller. But, after following a YouTube guide for generic XBox controller settings and a Polish website for individual car settings the controller was much improved. Sure the older cars like that vintage NASCAR still felt like crap, classic race cars were meh and the supercars were a bit too difficult to keep under control. But some cars, especially the hot hatches, the sports cars and the modern racecars felt great! At some point I was driving the Toyota GT-86 around Oulton Park, the car felt absolutely awesome in the corners, unlike any car I felt in GT or Forza before. So much more feedback of what the car was doing and it felt great just pushing it to the limits in a corner, again that was with just with the controller on my XBox, arguably the worse input device on the worse platform. Another great moment was the Rocket Bunny Toyota GT86 at the Mullenbachschleife of the Nurburgring, or the Audi A1 and Renault Megane hot hatches at the Ruapuna circuit, the RUF GT3 at so many circuits: All great feelings! In PCARS 1 some of the cars really have a soul, you can really appreciate and enjoy individual cars, connect with them. In Forza you just drive a generic handling model covered in the shell of your favorite car.

Now for PCARS 2 about 4 key elements have been improved that make me believe the game will be even much better on the XBox with a controller:
    1) Much better controller input and filtering.
    2) Much better tire models where if a car starts to snap over the limit in corners, you can much easier regain control.
    3) Ice racing and rallycross are in. If your car/tire handling model sucks, you just don't put these modes in the game.
    4) There are plenty of controller input videos out there (even on the slippery surfaces) and I can already see some of the "problems" of PCARS 1 are fixed in PCARS 2.

In the end it all boils down to what your interest is.

For me Forza is a fun arcade game, it's a rat race from place 24 to the podium in 3-4 laps. It has all the nifty tools for the modern YouTube generation like a credits system, mod packs (AKA loot crates now), driver suites, best played from chase cam view, etc etc. Sadly it also misses a LOT of features from the more serious sim racers like tire strategies, practice and qualifying laps, proper car classes (in Forza LMP1, LMP2, DP, LMP900 and even Group C are all racing in the same "endurance prototypes" class which is very unrealistic, but it's simple to understand for the kids - one of the main target audiences for the game) etc.

Project CARS on the other hand feels much more real. That already starts from the driving, you just want to drive it in cockpit or helmet camera view, the speeds and handling feel more realistic and everything around the racing like the singleplayer career mode, the race engineer, formation laps, manual pitstops, practice, qualifying, etc all feel much more realistic.

In the end they are 2 completely different games though. IMO FM is MUCH more like FH than it is like Project CARS but just the fact that it's a game on circuits instead of open world make people compare it easier to PCARS2 and G:Sport.

Bottom line:
    * If you want a fun arcade circuit game you mainly play with a controller from chasecam view and you enjoy a credits based system then FM is your thing.
    * If you want a serious sim circuit racer you mainly play from cockpit view (either with wheel and controller, both are fine) and you enjoy a more realistic career experience without a credits system to keep your attention away from the real game then PCARS is your thing.
    Last edited by breyzipp; 11-09-2017 at 22:01.
    room 1 : XBox One X (todo) & Elite Controller ~ PS4 Pro ~ Samsung UE65JS8500L 65" 3D 4K HDR SUHD LED TV ~ Denon AVR-X1300W + 4x Canton CD1090, Canton CD1050, Canton Sub600
    room 2 : XBox One 1TB ~ obutto r3volution ~ Thrustmaster TX + T3PA + TH8A + Leather 28 GT Wheel ~ Samsung PS50C7700YS 50" 3D Plasma TV ~ Harman Kardon Soundsticks III
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, r_outsider

Platform
    PS4
    Forza is more: burn through the traffic, grind some credits... it also appeals to a much wider automotive enthusiast audience. The livery edit community, the modders/"tuners", the car collectors, the trophy hunters...

Project cars is almost entirely motorsport focused. It's all about the nerdy motor racing details, from pit stops to tyre compounds, race car tuning...

You'd get confused by the titles.

And... oh man... do the cars feel different and unique in PC1!
    Last edited by hkraft300; 12-09-2017 at 01:03.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    You put your left pedal in, You take your left pedal out,
    You put your right pedal in, And you slide it all about...
    G29 settings.
    The following user likes this Post: breyzipp

Platform
    PC
    Is it something you can grind to earn or be rewarded later?Thanks
    There is definitely something to grind for (except pleasure ^^) : there is a new racing license system for online racing.
    So you could start to grind for the "S" license and then try to improve your rating.
    aka Ironik

I7 2600K @4,2GHz // MSI Z77A-GD65 // 8Go DDR 3 // Sparkle GTX580 // OCZ agility 240Go // WD caviar Green 1To // Fanatec GT2 + CSP
    The following user likes this Post: breyzipp

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTsimms View Post
    I was in the last MP test for pCARS2 last night, that our league organised as the official testing league during development and I was driving the 488 GT3 in quali. After 2 or 3 laps of getting the tyres up to temp, something clicked, the car came alive, it felt 100% natural, 100% perfect and for the next 4 or 5 laps I was in an almost trance-like state. I wasn't thinking about driving, I was simply driving. No other sim has ever given me that same feeling, the one where you lose all sense of "I'm driving a game here". I'm sure my words will be discarded by many as "paid shill" (oh, if only I was paid!) but I can honestly say that it was a joy, a pleasure, a delight, a wonderful thing, to be driving that car right then. The only reason I stopped was because I ran out of fuel and, by the time I had got the tyres up to temp again, the quali session was over.
    I think one thing that made me really enjoy about pcars 2 is the driving of the game. You do not really fight with the car's handling (unless you pushed it over the limit or some of those more quirky cars like Group 5), you tend to work with the car to go where you want it to go where it felt like an extension of yourself into the virtual world. Also, I love that feeling of trying to push the car as close to the limit without it snapping off suddenly where you constantly trying to brake as late as you can or accelerate as fast as you can. Then, you felt like you are in the car driving it in a very natural and intuitive way that you felt when you are driving your road car, in full control of the vehicle. Except you are speeding down the straights in probably a very expensive car in the virtual world.
    The following 6 users likes this Post: amazed, breyzipp, cluck, GTsimms, Konan, ShneebnaMRR108

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Forza, for now, is a console game and a console game is control with the controller. Compare to Project Car that can be control with the mouse and keyboard, the advantage to manage everything is much better.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Lots of great facts and opinions.Im starting to look at things different, thou i havent played pc since i only have a 360.I enjoy not grinding just to earn this car or that car.Im really excited about the online ratings system.I wont be at the top of the rankings but i wont be that 1st turn rammer with a bad rating that gets you kicked from a lobby.Its going to be pretty clear about your skills and overall ratings.I do find i odd that Pc and Pc2 both have custom online lobby systems that everyone can join,but f7 still cant or wont get this fixed.But thats on them.Hope this turns out like i think it will.Im about sick of watching youtube videos.LOL.But it will do for now.Thanks everyone for your feedback and thoughts.
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    From a reformed Gran Turismo junkie:

The career mode in PC1 is good, if you're self-directed. It doesn't have the cute outside-the-lines cut scenes like, say, Road to the Show in MLB The Show 17. (Come to the dark side...we have cookies. )

What it DOES have, is a racing experience that you can set up as you see fit, and doesn't seem designed to frustrate. No license tests, you can make the game as easy or hard as you like, and there's a bunch of different stuff to do. (And even more in the sequel! )

The deliverable in entertainment, generally speaking, is emotion. You want the reader/viewer/user to feel something: that FEELING, is what makes or breaks the experience. So, in a video game, you can have photo realistic graphics, an epic soundtrack, and the most pick up and play controls in the industry, but if the experience is an emotionless grind (EA Canada, I'm looking at you), the game will still be a dud.

What SMS did with the career mode on PC1, was let you feel what you want. You want a realistic pressure cooker of a career? Go for it. You want the thrill of victory on every race you run? You can do that, too. Love getting under the virtual hood, and get a thrill when you find that perfect setup? Have at it. Just want to get behind the wheel and race? Well, here are the virtual keys.

There are, admittedly, a couple of events and vehicles that can be annoying for some. Personally, I don't much care for the Renault Clio or Caterham Seven. But you don't HAVE to finish the invitationals to get HOF, just unlock them. And to get all eight sponsors, you only need to finish 16 of 20 eligible events.

Contrast this with Gran Turismo: unforgiving learning curve, mandatory license tests that are the very opposite of fun, and a progression system that requires you to do more grinding than a Starbucks barista. No thanks. I've found my new racing home, and the sequel is out next week.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: John Hargreaves, Konan, Remco Van Dijk

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by CassielLight View Post
    From a reformed Gran Turismo junkie:

The career mode in PC1 is good, if you're self-directed. It doesn't have the cute outside-the-lines cut scenes like, say, Road to the Show in MLB The Show 17. (Come to the dark side...we have cookies. )

What it DOES have, is a racing experience that you can set up as you see fit, and doesn't seem designed to frustrate. No license tests, you can make the game as easy or hard as you like, and there's a bunch of different stuff to do. (And even more in the sequel! )

The deliverable in entertainment, generally speaking, is emotion. You want the reader/viewer/user to feel something: that FEELING, is what makes or breaks the experience. So, in a video game, you can have photo realistic graphics, an epic soundtrack, and the most pick up and play controls in the industry, but if the experience is an emotionless grind (EA Canada, I'm looking at you), the game will still be a dud.

What SMS did with the career mode on PC1, was let you feel what you want. You want a realistic pressure cooker of a career? Go for it. You want the thrill of victory on every race you run? You can do that, too. Love getting under the virtual hood, and get a thrill when you find that perfect setup? Have at it. Just want to get behind the wheel and race? Well, here are the virtual keys.

There are, admittedly, a couple of events and vehicles that can be annoying for some. Personally, I don't much care for the Renault Clio or Caterham Seven. But you don't HAVE to finish the invitationals to get HOF, just unlock them. And to get all eight sponsors, you only need to finish 16 of 20 eligible events.

Contrast this with Gran Turismo: unforgiving learning curve, mandatory license tests that are the very opposite of fun, and a progression system that requires you to do more grinding than a Starbucks barista. No thanks. I've found my new racing home, and the sequel is out next week.
    Might be the wrong thread, but as my racing game past has been extensive. GT/FORZA/Etc., you are all welcome here! I have played 1-6 and still have a working PS1 and PS2!
    WMD2 Member
    Project CARS 2 T150 & T300 RS (TMCP default) Raw Gain 100 / Vol 20 (T150 or Vol 18 with FX 14) / Tone 50 / FX 0 or 14 with FANATEC HANDBRAKE V1.0
    Win 10 Home 64bit ASUS Prime Z270-A/i7 7700K 4.5 GHz, 32 GB GSKILL Trident White 3200, EVGA SC GTX 1070 (MSI AfterBurner 109/89/124/425) Oculus Rift CV1 (VR Cover for eyewear)
    The following user likes this Post: Konan