Thread: Look left look right

Platform
    PC

Look left look right

I know it is probably a bit late to mention this now that the game is nearly done but I would like some feedback from the community on this.
    I always found that 90 degree look left and right was more of a hindrance than a help as I tend to drift into the direction I am looking to.
    Most of the time I just want to glance to the mirrors to see where an approaching car is but you can rarely see the mirrors and that full 90 degree look is only any use when the opponent is right next to you.
    Would it not be better to have a single click for 45 degree look and double click or different button for 90 degree look?
    l Processor lIntel Core i7 4790k @4ghz l Video Card lMsi Geforce GTX 970 l Wheel lLogitech G27 l Network card l Atheros killer E2200 Series Gigabit Lan l PSU l Be Quiet 580W Straight Power 10 l Memory l 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz l Mainboard l Asrock Fatality Z97 Killer l Soundcard l Onboard Purity Sound l Monitor l Samsung Syncmaster S23B300 l OS l Windows 7 Home Proffesional X64

Platform
    PC
    If you are concerned about how close a vehicle is to you, you can use the "Proximity Arrows" and "Spotter" in PC2 to feed you that information.

Personally, in real life, my race doesn't have the fancy proximity systems the professionals have and you cannot turn your head with a head/neck restraint system.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | 2x EVGA GTX 970 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | 2x Buttkickers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    Known Issues

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    Personally, in real life, my race doesn't have the fancy proximity systems the professionals have and you cannot turn your head with a head/neck restraint system.
    Technically, the anchor straps on a HANS device do allow for a little bit of movement. Nothing limits your eye movement though.
    "Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all of my life. And it stands up before anything else." - Ayrton Senna

Steam l PC specs

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flare View Post
    Technically, the anchor straps on a HANS device do allow for a little bit of movement. Nothing limits your eye movement though.
    You cannot see 90 degrees. Barely enough for side mirrors. If you have a halo seat, it makes it more restrictive.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | 2x EVGA GTX 970 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | 2x Buttkickers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    Known Issues

Platform
    PC
    Yes looking 90 degrees is unrealistic in most race formats but you should be able to glance at the mirrors with a little head and eye movement which is why I would prefer an option where the camera does that instead of looking all the way to 90 degrees.
    l Processor lIntel Core i7 4790k @4ghz l Video Card lMsi Geforce GTX 970 l Wheel lLogitech G27 l Network card l Atheros killer E2200 Series Gigabit Lan l PSU l Be Quiet 580W Straight Power 10 l Memory l 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz l Mainboard l Asrock Fatality Z97 Killer l Soundcard l Onboard Purity Sound l Monitor l Samsung Syncmaster S23B300 l OS l Windows 7 Home Proffesional X64

Platform
    PC
    What about something like a trackir?

Platform
    PC
    Go for VR you can look around as much as you like then.

I had it running with Rift and my 970 before i upgraded with no issue
    CASE: Enthoo Evolve ITX ll MOBO: ASUS H97I-Plus ll CPU: i7 4790 ll COOLER: H80i GT ll GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 ll RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz ll SSD: 840 EVO 256GB x3 ll HDD: WD Blue 1TB ll Win 10 Pro x64 ll WHEEL: Logitech G29 ll SHIFTER: Logitech G Driving Force ll VR: Oculus Rift CV1 ll Screen: LG 49" 4k TV
    Steam ID: MartinMWWebb

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    You cannot see 90 degrees. Barely enough for side mirrors. If you have a halo seat, it makes it more restrictive.
    True, but what if you drive a road car ?

OP's idea is not bad. For single screen the 90 look in racecars is too much because then you are mostly looking at the side panels of the head rest. Less angled would open the possibility to look in the side mirros.

Being on triples myself, I don't use the left/right btw...
    Sim-Lab P1 rig with integrated triple monitor brackets, Logitech Z906 5.1, Fanatec CSW V2 base / Porsche 918 RSR / Formula Carbon / SQ shifter / Heusinkveld Pro pedals / Heusinkveld SQ shifter / ignitIONControls R1 button box. Creative 7.1 soundcard (x2) / 3 BENQ XL2720Z 144 Hz 27" PC: ASUS Pro Series - Intel i7 4790 (8x 4GHz) - Win10Pro - nVidia GTX 980 ti - 16 GB ddr3 - SSD 256 GB / Buttkicker / PCars Dash / RS Dash

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanapryde View Post
    True, but what if you drive a road car ?

OP's idea is not bad. For single screen the 90 look in racecars is too much because then you are mostly looking at the side panels of the head rest. Less angled would open the possibility to look in the side mirros.

Being on triples myself, I don't use the left/right btw...
    Well, the mirrors can/will have blind spots... IMO, if the goal is to know where another car is with relation to the player's car without driving off the track; that's the proximity arrows. That provides that function very well.

Now, some may say that's not "real life" for all cars, but to be honest when racing in real life, you just have to "assume" a car is next to you if it's not behind you. That's what we do in real life. However, just as in real life, things don't always work out if you have someone start to move over when they "think" think have cleared a car (rather than waiting to see the car in their rear view mirror/monitor).

Forum Rules
    Known Issues