Thread: Do AI drivers know it's going to rain?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Do AI drivers know it's going to rain?

Hi all, I'm new. Anyway, question is: my forecast says overcast, but after just one lap all the AI cars go into the pit, and I'm all "what are they doing?" I stay out and take the lead . Then one or two laps later it starts raining. Do the AI have weather knowledge that we don't? Thanks

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Sorry, just did a rain search and found out that yes, in fact they do

Platform
    PC
    The AI knows that it'll rain at the exact time you know it, which is just a few minutes before (Hit the pause button and you'll see that it'll rain soon).
    IRL your pit crew also knows that it'll rain soon because they're watching the weather radar...
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    In my experience both in career and in solo mode AI knows exactly when it's going to rain and go to the pits at the right moment. Forecast at the beginning of the race isn't accurate, neither is the forecast you see in the pause menu, one simply has to watch the conditions, feel the handling of the car, and make the proper choices of strategy.
    The following user likes this Post: Mad LL

Platform
    PS4
    Unless you're at Nordschleife, you'll safely make it back to the pits when you see the first drops of rain. It takes a few minutes for the track to get worse you'll be right to box and switch tires.
    Alternatively, if the AI box unexpectedly, check the weather forecast.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    G29 settings (PC1).
    G29 FFB RAW 100-55-20-25

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    Alternatively, if the AI box unexpectedly, check the weather forecast.
    Like I said weather forecast in PCars1 isn't always accurate, especially in career with scaled race length. Same goes for engineer weather alerts (eg: "we're expecting rain in the next 30 minutes", it starts to rain a couple of minutes later).
    There have been situations where I saw AI going into the pits, I paused to check forecast and it said "medium cloud" or something like that and it started to rain shortly after, and weather forecast only changed to rain after it started raining. I've even had situations where it was raining and in the pause menu it said "current weather light cloud".

Best thing is to practice in different weather conditions before the race and be able to adapt to whatever happens.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Pcars2 situation example:
    You're driving around -> it starts to rain-> make pit request->stops raining-> cancell pit request
    Next lap...same thing...
    It'll take me a while to realise it's only raining at part of the track...man this will be so much fun!
    (Sorry for the off topic)
    I NEVER LOSE...I WIN OR LEARN...
    A special thanks to SMS and WMD for putting up with me all these years!

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Konan View Post
    Pcars2 situation example:
    You're driving around -> it starts to rain-> make pit request->stops raining-> cancell pit request
    Next lap...same thing...
    It'll take me a while to realise it's only raining at part of the track...man this will be so much fun!
    (Sorry for the off topic)

On paper yes but in reality it is not much fun when the AI cars drive through the wet patches like there is no rain at all while the player is aquaplaning like crazy and losing lots of places. I experienced this at SPA where light rain came after 5 laps of racing in a 15 lap race. It could be the AI started the race on rain tires, but if that was the case this means the AI knows before the race that rain is expected after 5 laps. If so, I would like to know this also before the race so I can start on rain tires also.