Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steam store: Minimum requirements - Specific versions of Windows 7???

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Remco Van Dijk View Post
    IIRC at least each tyre has its own thread, and distributed over the CPU cores equally. The rest I don't know, would need to have a look at Task Manager during game execution to see that I guess?
    This still holds true in my testings Remco. When you monitor a hypre-threaded i7, you will see that 4 cores are heavily used while other task that can be split will take advantage of extra ones. Thus performance from 4-core processor to 8-core (real or hyperthreaded) is increased but (normally) not that whole lot.

Always excluding extreme scenarios (like 720p noAA with a 1080ti) but using normal configurations, jumping from an i5 4670k to an I7 4790k both running 4.3Ghz, will give you a small bump in performance but really small (I have the numbers, I'll probably post them next week after release).

This is due to that both processors are the same architecture and both can process the same amount of instructions per clock tick. So running at the same frequency they both perform exactly the same in single-core tasks (again, I have the numbers).

Then, adding the hyper-threading that the 4790k provides, assist the game/system in overall tasks so if you were able to run the 4670k at 90% capacity, going hyper-threading will give you a very small bump but better fidelity on the tyre. If you're running at 50% cpu on the i5, then the i7 won't help you a bit.

So, all in all, a FAST i5 4-core (or ryzen 5 maybe, haven't test those) will give you more or less the same experience than an i7 if you're pushing 60fps out of your GPU. If you're going for 120 or 144hz, then story changes quite a bit

Also, have in mind that (from my benchmarks) PCARS2 does a much better job CPU-wise than PCARS1. I found myself not using the "-skipcrowds" on my low-end systems since the engine was way better managing those configs and I also saw an increment of the amount of frames that the CPU was able to push before running into a bottleneck there. So, everyone... just bear with us for a week and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Hope this helps further
    Last edited by Aldo Zampatti; 18-09-2017 at 18:36.
    Systems tested with Project CARS 2:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 4790K - nVidia GTX 1080ti - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 7700HQ - nVidia GTX 1050 - 16GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i7 6700HQ - nvidia GTX 980m - 8GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i5 4670K - 2x AMD 7970 - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    Core i7 4700HQ - nVidia 970M - 16GB RAM - (Laptop)

The following 3 users likes this Post: Mad Al, Mad LL, Siberian Tiger

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Zampatti View Post
    This still holds true in my testings Remco. When you monitor a hypre-threaded i7, you will see that 4 cores are heavily used while other task that can be split will take advantage of extra ones. Thus performance from 4-core processor to 8-core (real or hyperthreaded) is increased but (normally) not that whole lot.

Always excluding extreme scenarios (like 720p noAA with a 1080ti) but using normal configurations, jumping from an i5 4670k to an I7 4790k both running 4.3Ghz, will give you a small bump in performance but really small (I have the numbers, I'll probably post them next week after release).

This is due to that both processors are the same architecture and both can process the same amount of instructions per clock tick. So running at the same frequency they both perform exactly the same in single-core tasks (again, I have the numbers).

Then, adding the hyper-threading that the 4790k provides, assist the game/system in overall tasks so if you were able to run the 4670k at 90% capacity, going hyper-threading will give you a very small bump but better fidelity on the tyre. If you're running at 50% cpu on the i5, then the i7 won't help you a bit.

So, all in all, a FAST i5 4-core (or ryzen 5 maybe, haven't test those) will give you more or less the same experience than an i7 if you're pushing 60fps out of your GPU. If you're going for 120 or 144hz, then story changes quite a bit

Also, have in mind that (from my benchmarks) PCARS2 does a much better job CPU-wise than PCARS1. I found myself not using the "-skipcrowds" on my low-end systems since the engine was way better managing those configs and I also saw an increment of the amount of frames that the CPU was able to push before running into a bottleneck there. So, everyone... just bear with us for a week and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Hope this helps further
    Nice. This, and your upcoming tests will be useful. While at it, is there a list of other startup parameters too that may be useful?
    PC: GB Z87X-UD3H-CF (W10-x64) | Intel i5-4670k (4.3GHz) | GSkill (2x8GB) | GB GTX980Ti | Oculus Rift CV1 | XFX 650W CE | 2xSamsung Evo 250GB SSD
    Gear: T300RS / G27 pedals (Ricmotech Load Cell) | WSP v2

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpa25 View Post
    Nice. This, and your upcoming tests will be useful. While at it, is there a list of other startup parameters too that may be useful?
    Nope. Vanilla works just perfect. There are a couple of performance detection that will pick the right settings for you. The only thing is if you want to force VR or noVR in your case (assuming your signature is up to date)
    Systems tested with Project CARS 2:
    Core i7 4790K - nVidia GTX 1080ti - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    Core i7 7700HQ - nVidia GTX 1050 - 16GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i7 6700HQ - nvidia GTX 980m - 8GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i5 4670K - 2x AMD 7970 - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    Core i7 4700HQ - nVidia 970M - 16GB RAM - (Laptop)