Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General setup method to regain control from spins?

Platform
    PC

General setup method to regain control from spins?

Been having lots of trouble recovering from spins from being hit from behind.

I see AI cars skid off into the grass and not only recover but blast back onto the track w/o much if any loss of momentum. When in the same situation, I end up sometimes never being able to recover and (I swear) the programming ends me up T-boned the rail every time!

I've tested this in the grass doing donuts and figure 8s and catching the skids with no problems but in the race even with full deflection and throttle the original skid direction KEEPs going. If not a "landmine" or bug, then what's the best setup to allow full skid control? Some cars are actually able to drift brilliantly into turns like the real thing but many others feel like the program takes over on occasion and under NO circumstances will it allow you to recover. I sense this may have been added for randomness of difficultly maybe but is really a major turn off for sim enjoyment and realism.

I came from the original 2015 version with no upgrades to the full current version with all patches under the impression the bugs had been fixed. Many things better except the ones I'd hoped for. If Pcars V2 is to be in my future, I'll either have to wait for all the fixes or maybe become a beta tester?

Platform
    PS4
    The only thing I can think of to help is a reduced steering ratio, depending on your hardware.
    The G29 isn't particularly fast or powerful.
    Changing the ratio from 13.5:1 down to 12:1 helped a lot in "speeding up" my reaction to catch a slide. Basically I have to turn the wheel to countersteer a shorter "distance" (angle of rotation) to catch a slide.
    That said, sometimes my tyres are cooked when I trail brake into a corner and there's no catching it.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    You put your left pedal in, You take your left pedal out,
    You put your right pedal in, And you slide it all about...
    G29 settings (PC1).
    PC2 G29 ffb Raw 95-45-35-60

Platform
    PC
    Ah, thanks for that. I was going in the wrong direction by increasing the ratio thinking it was too easy to over control and get oscillation going! More testing is showing that I can usually catch the first skid direction but then it gets thrown into an even worse skid the other way with no hope to regain control.

Platform
    PS4
    You want go avoid that tank slapper in the first place. Takes fine control and practice.
    It happens because the car regains grip, but you are still counter-steering.
    What wheel are you using? Good ffb calibration helps.
    G29 settings (PC1).

Platform
    PC
    Got it, thanks! Seems some cars/setups can be handled in extreme attitudes no problem. That's why I keep thinking either "landmine" (some always in same places in tracks) or I need better dif. setup maybe?

As to "wheel" don't laugh too hard but I'm "driving" with a 16bit hall effect Thrustmaster joystick! (no ffb) It's VERY precise for steering. (For throttle however, just using the fire button and another button for brake.) Obviously maintaining the right throttle control being just on/off isn't the best to prevent skids and I don't drive some overpowered cars because of it but for the most part, I'm getting the job done.

Platform
    PS4
    Correct. It's mostly, I'm guessing, suspension design.
    The Radbull MX5 drift thing has modified suspension for extreme steering angles. Road cars have varying limits to steering for parking maneuvers. Race cars do away with it.

Some race cars will allow more steering angle, some slightly less.

If you're having trouble in a particular car at a particular corner, it could be setup related. If you're struggling at a particular corner in many different cars, it is probably your driving. Bear in mind: some tracks do try to kill you. Lull you in to a false sense of confidence, to make you go fast into a wall.

You'd be better off with a gamepad or a wheel you can modulate the brake and throttle with. This game is so much better with a wheel and pedals!
    G29 settings (PC1).

Platform
    PC
    Thanks much!

Isn't a gamepad just on/off buttons? Maybe with a mini joystick for steering? I'm spoiled with the resolution on my joystick (16000 each axis) so need to do some serious research on driving controllers for best accuracy before I take the plunge.

Have driven all cars now in GT3 class with no qualifies and all wins at 50% AI. Takes me about an entire campaign to dial in the car with restarts to get it right. I seem to enjoy each car more than the last one! Now need a GT2 and 1 class. Hope pCARS 2 will offer more levels!

Platform
    PS4
    Xbox 360 gamepad is a popular choice. I think the ps4 dualshock might work too. 2 mini joysticks and triggers for throttle brake and steering. Some use the 2ND stick for throttle/brake, some use the triggers.
    You lose the precision in steering but gain throttle and brake modulation.

If you can, highly recommend a wheel.

Check out the PC2 car list thread. ~190 cars on launch. GT4/3/E/1 roster is epic.
    G29 settings (PC1).
    The following user likes this Post: VelvetTorpedo

Platform
    PC
    Running a comp. that gets a little choppy with full race opponents till ahead of the pack. Hope I'll be able to run PC2.

It happened again last night with last race in series GT3 at SPA in a Bentley. Last lap after it starts raining. Had wet tires added at pit in lap 3 knowing it was coming. Had set traction to 1 as well. Got tapped from behind and started to skid.

I CAUGHT the skid but instantly lost it the other direction and nothing I could do would get me corrected. Gave up spinning and even from a full stop, couldn't get back on the track. Even with a car reset I could barely move w/o it going completely out of control again.

Seemed like the program decided I didn't have rain tires on anymore? No tire wear showing (running with no wear/damage setting) and when restarting race from beginning and repeating above procedure, all was well cause I didn't get hit in last lap and could run flat-out.

I'm telling you, when the AI decides I should lose, I'm toast!

Platform
    PS4
    I know the feeling. I'll get the same when I lock/ brake too late and trail brake into a corner too much. It feels the tire surface is momentarily too hot (tread surface temp is not shown on the hud/udp/telemetry) so round and round I'll keep going. A little care and a slow moment helps regain that grip.
    G29 settings (PC1).