Page 140 of 140 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140
Results 1,391 to 1,395 of 1395

Thread: Some desirable features for incoming patches

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I recently seen that you can adjust the mirrors wilst using VR, can you add this option to none VR please.
    The following user likes this Post: F1_Racer68

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Feature request: redirecting race engineer voice to separate audio device

I would assume that any kind of spoken communication in this game would be, for a 5.1 mix, be directed solely to the center channel. This assumption appears to be incorrect.

Read further if you are interested in why this is "first-world problem" for me:

I have some ancient Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 speakers hooked up to my sim rig. I also have some old Aura Interactor transducers installed under the seat. I drive these with the pitiful amplifier unit that came with that product.

The ProMedia speakers have two TRS plugs for Front and Surround and no separate LFE input. The onboard sound chip in my PC has an option to turn off speakers in the 5.1 mix that are not present, so I can e.g. disable the center speaker and whatever is in that channel will be sent to RF and LF channels. I can also mark my satellites as full range and the crossover in the ProMedia sub will do the rest. The transducer amp takes a mono signal and sends it to the transducers.

I have a multi-channel audio mixer that I use to create a mono mix of the front, surrounds and LFE to feed the transducers. It works OK, but the EQ available on my mixer is kind of crappy and I still get quite a bit of low and mid-range audio from the fronts and surrounds in the transducers. In and of itself, that is not a bad thing for racing sims, as you get some of the high frequency vibrations that would actually be there in real life. The problem is when the pit crew engineer starts talking. It literally feels and sounds like you have a voice talking out of your butt. Maybe some people like that, but for me, it breaks the immersion ;-)

As a possible solution, I turned the center speaker option back ON and thus that channel is no longer split to the front speakers or transducer mix. I can still hear the race engineer speaking, maybe somewhat more quietly. That means his sounds are being played (at least in part) through the LF and RF audio channels. And unfortunately, still resonating from my posterior.

There are several other solutions:

1) Lower/steeper low-pass filter for the channels feeding the transducer mix. The tradeoff here is you then also lose the low-mids from the engines etc. that actually feel pretty cool and realistic.

2) The game can somehow send the engineer voice only to the center channel of a 5.1 mix. I suspect this may not be feasible, assuming that the game is probably using some kind of third-party audio engine that translates the game sounds for easy playback on whatever audio device the end user has available. It would be down to the capabilities of that engine. It also introduces a minor problem of "how can I then still hear the engineer voice in my 4.1 speakers?" but I can again solve this in a variety of ways with my external mixer.

3) The game can somehow optionally send engineer voice to a separate audio device, e.g. the Rift Headphones, a second sound card, or whatever.

I have no idea how practical #3 would be for the developers to implement. It might be cool to hear his voice in the headset, as you would in real life, but hearing him in my audio mix and not feeling him in the transducer mix is what I'm really after.

I think I can achieve basically the same thing as what I am asking for by using a 3rd party tool and simply turning the in-game crew chief voices off. The 3rd party mod can select what audio device to use, IIRC. But I've tried that mod with another game and it left a lot to be desired.

Thanks for reading, especially if you can think of other solutions that I haven't tried.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurld View Post
    Feature request: redirecting race engineer voice to separate audio device
    How about Crewchief? http://thecrewchief.org/

I turn off the in-game race engineer / spotter and just use crewchief myself. I can have it play from the default windows audio device, whilst in game I can specify a different output device.

i.e
    I have Crewchief coming out of my monitors speakers (they are bad, but good for voice)
    I have the game coming out of my 5.1 audio system
    I also have simxperience (for my buttkicker) using another separate audio device.

That's when I'm not using VR.
    Last edited by FxUK; 18-07-2018 at 21:21.
    RWB Racing International
    Platform: PC Hardware: Fanatec CSWv2.5 & CSv3 pedals, Rift CV1 or 4K XB321HK screen. i7 6700k, 32gb Ram, 1080ti, Samsung 850 SSD, Logitech Z906 5.1 surround system, ButtKicker Gamer 2 & SimVibe
    The following user likes this Post: Sentry87

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Yeah, crewchief was the third party tool I was talking about. I haven't tried it with PC2 because it was fairly broken when I tried it with AC. It would totally achieve what I want, sound wise, when I used it with AC.

I'll probably just turn off the engineer voice any way I go... it's not like he ever has anything that useful to say to me.
    Last edited by Jurld; Yesterday at 15:30.

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurld View Post
    Yeah, crewchief was the third party tool I was talking about. I haven't tried it with PC2 because it was fairly broken when I tried it with AC. It would totally achieve what I want, sound wise, when I used it with AC.

I'll probably just turn off the engineer voice any way I go... it's not like he ever has anything that useful to say to me.
    Crew Chief is awesome in Pcars 2. Best app ever. Cheap too. Excellent investment that adds that extra flavour to the game. Highly recommended.
    PS4. Logitech G29 wheel. PSN ID: davidtsmith333
    The following user likes this Post: Mad LL