Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-aliasing mostly ineffective, other solutions?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Anti-aliasing mostly ineffective, other solutions?

MSAA, FXAA, SMAA, all are pretty ripe with obvious and distracting aliasing on every setting in PCARS2. And I don't have enough power for high enough of Super Sampling for that to make a difference.

Would it be possible to add a TAA (Temporal Anti-Aliasing) option in the near future, Slightly Mad Studios?

It's becoming more and more common and it works so much better than traditional AAs in motion, and driving games are all about motion. It's a post-process solution that goes way beyond what FXAA and SMAA can do, with the similar minimal performance hit. It also anti-aliases lots of things MSAA does not, like transparencies. The downside is the amount of full screen blurring it brings, but that can be countered some with a post-process sharpening option. Although at this point I'd take the the most severe post-TAA blur over all the jagged edges in an instant. Would love to have it as an option with the rest, would be incredible on so many tracks.

Please, if it's possible, try to make it happen!
    Thanks!
    The following 5 users likes this Post: BigDad, Ginger McAle, Henrique Clausing, takaii, Truebrit

Platform
    PC
    What specs are your PC as that may help people suggest some settings to try.
    PC - || Corsair 600C || 1080 TI Founders Edition || AMD Ryzen 7 1800x || 16GB DDR4 4000mhz || Asus Crosshair VI Hero || EKWB 360 + 240 RAD Custom Loop (CPU / GPU) || Corsair AX1200 || Logitech G910 Orion Spectruim || Logitech G700 || Fanatec CSW v2 BMW GT & Formula Rims || Fanatec CSS SQ v1.5 || Fanatec CSP V3 Brake Performance Kit || Fanatec Handbrake || Simvibe || Logitech 5.1 Speakers || 2x Yamaha HS80 || Oculus Rift CV1 ||AOC 34" Ultra-Wide IPS || Synology DS1817+ || Windows 10 Pro x64 ||

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Oh, thanks. But I've tried them all out already, not much to suggest when we've already been through the tedious work. Saves the ones wanting to help some time at least!

I'm just pleading to the devs for something that will probably never happen, and I posted here because I don't know where else to do it. Haha!

Platform
    PC
    Normally I use SMAA and Super Sampling together.

SMAA low + No SS on LowEnd systems
    SMAA low + SS Low on Low/mid ends
    Medium + Medium on Mid-end
    High + Medium on Higher ends systems.
    etc...
    Systems tested with Project CARS 2:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 4790K - nVidia GTX 1080ti - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 7700HQ - nVidia GTX 1050 - 16GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i7 6700HQ - nvidia GTX 980m - 8GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i5 4670K - 2x AMD 7970 - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    Core i7 4700HQ - nVidia 970M - 16GB RAM - (Laptop)

The following 3 users likes this Post: Andrew_WOT, ironik, Morgan Henstridge

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I may have the same problem as him. The game default to MSAA(don't remember) and this setting seems to work.

However, if i pick any FXAA settings, it doesn't seems to get applied. There's no AA afterwards.

Rebooted the game as asked. Installed the latest nVidia drivers.

I'll try to post Screeshots tomorow. In the mean time, here's my rig:

i5 2400, GTX 960, 24 GB RAM. No overclock.

Thanks,

Edit: Here it goes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOFXAA.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	240212
    Last edited by poirqc; 22-09-2017 at 03:12.
    All platform and wheels: Official Force Feedback Guide
    Info: pCars 2 Tire Pressure Official Guideline | Wheel FFB guide

Steering: G27 | My In-game FFB:Immersive 100/30/60/5
    The following user likes this Post: BigDad

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by poirqc View Post
    I may have the same problem as him. The game default to MSAA(don't remember) and this setting seems to work.

However, if i pick any FXAA settings, it doesn't seems to get applied. There's no AA afterwards.

Rebooted the game as asked. Installed the latest nVidia drivers.

I'll try to post Screeshots tomorow. In the mean time, here's my rig:

i5 2400, GTX 960, 24 GB RAM. No overclock.

Thanks,

Edit: Here it goes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOFXAA.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	240212
    FXAA only won't do a lot. Its more intended to "aid" the aliasing.
    try combining FXAA (or SMAA, I like it better cost/benefit) with LOW Supersampling and give it a go

The following 5 users likes this Post: Fendar, GUIBRU, ironik, Mahjik, Morgan Henstridge

Platform
    PC
    I have got SMAA Ultra and Supersampling Low @ 4k along with everything else Ultra or high(max) and there is still a lot of distracting aliasing on cars and fences I've even tried using nVidia inspector but that seems to have no effect except on FPS .
    4k ultra and Low supersampling is fine 60 FPS for all dry conditions but 45 fps in thunderstorms , pretty good and and Medium Supersampling dropped to 45 FPS in dry . If i was to drive in storms then i would consider lowering somethings because 45 FPS is ugly but i'll mostly drive in dry races for now anyway .
    Now is there something SMS can bring to help with the distracting aliasing ?
    Last edited by BigDad; 22-09-2017 at 03:53.
    GPU: Galax GTX1080Ti EXOC @2088MHz/12008MHz/ CPU: Intel i7 7700K@ 5.1GHz/ Cooler: Noctua NH-u14s/ Mobo: Asrock z170 Extreme4/ RAM: 16GB Trident Z 3200mhz C14/ PSU: CM V750/ Storage: 4TB WD/250GB Evo 850 SSD/ Case: Storm Enforcer/ OS: Win 10/ Display: Philips BDM4065UC 40" 3840x2160p / GT Ultimate/ Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2/ McLaren GT3/ CS Universal Hub with magnetic shifter Mod/ Pedals: CSR Elite/Steam/2ndLastJedi

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    FXAA is pretty crummy in general, but it will usually do something, even if that something is what looks like blurring the screen a bit. It still diminishes the obvious jaggies somewhat, but I'm not seeing any of that here. MSAA is the only thing that seems work at all for me outside of the heavy impacting Super Sampling, but it doesn't do a good enough job with everything and the performance hit is more than I'd like. I'll have to deal with that I guess.

I also wanted to share this classic example of MultiSample vs Temporal Anti-Aliasing, specifically showing the difference of transparencies in motion: http://gfycat.com/DetailedSoftEelelephant

The shimmering and stepping you get on everything, not just some edges, is diminished by a lot with temporal anti-aliasing compared to other methods. That example is from a game using the Nvidia specific post process temporal method called TXAA (AC4: Black Flag I believe, GTAV also supports it), but games like Fallout 4 and Battlefield 1 have their own post process TAA methods that works just as well, and on both AMD & Nvidia hardware. Would love to see something like that come to PCARS2.
    Last edited by pyide_maybe; 23-09-2017 at 20:04.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BigDad, MarcusarilliuS_IRL

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDad View Post
    I have got SMAA Ultra and Supersampling Low @ 4k along with everything else Ultra or high(max) and there is still a lot of distracting aliasing on cars and fences I've even tried using nVidia inspector but that seems to have no effect except on FPS .
    4k ultra and Low supersampling is fine 60 FPS for all dry conditions but 45 fps in thunderstorms , pretty good and and Medium Supersampling dropped to 45 FPS in dry . If i was to drive in storms then i would consider lowering somethings because 45 FPS is ugly but i'll mostly drive in dry races for now anyway .
    Now is there something SMS can bring to help with the distracting aliasing ?
    Do you have every detail in ULTRA? High?

Try using EnvMap and Reflections in LOW and crank up the SuperSampling and SMAA (SMAA ULTRA and SuperSampling Medium) and see how it works.

The following 2 users likes this Post: ironik, Morgan Henstridge

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Zampatti View Post
    Do you have every detail in ULTRA? High?

Try using EnvMap and Reflections in LOW and crank up the SuperSampling and SMAA (SMAA ULTRA and SuperSampling Medium) and see how it works.
    Yeah, everything at its maximum.
    Okay i will try your suggestion next, thank you, im glad there might be other configurations, i just hope it improves the shimmer!
    GPU: Galax GTX1080Ti EXOC @2088MHz/12008MHz/ CPU: Intel i7 7700K@ 5.1GHz/ Cooler: Noctua NH-u14s/ Mobo: Asrock z170 Extreme4/ RAM: 16GB Trident Z 3200mhz C14/ PSU: CM V750/ Storage: 4TB WD/250GB Evo 850 SSD/ Case: Storm Enforcer/ OS: Win 10/ Display: Philips BDM4065UC 40" 3840x2160p / GT Ultimate/ Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2/ McLaren GT3/ CS Universal Hub with magnetic shifter Mod/ Pedals: CSR Elite/Steam/2ndLastJedi
    The following user likes this Post: Aldo Zampatti