Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: Fanatec CSL Elite PS4

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by davidt33 View Post
    Hi @bradleyland or anybody else who may be familiar and can help. Mac user myself and would like to update the driver and firmware myself.
    Can you outline the procedure? From downloading the driver from Fanatec site etc to updating?
    Eg: Do you first have to launch the Virtual Machine (VM) and Windows and then download the driver to the Windows download location? And from there, what?
    Any assistance greatly appreciated. I don't know if bradleyland will see this as he hasn't been active for a while.
    I'm subscribed to this thread, so I get email notifications

First up, head over to the Fanatec CSL Elite for PS4 product page. Scroll down past the shopping cart buttons and look for the Downloads tab. You should see this note about the firmware:

The latest firmware for this product is included with the most recent drivers and cannot be downloaded separately. Please connect all Fanatec devices to your PC and power them on before you install the new drivers!
    It's been a long time since I updated my firmware (my current version works fine for me), but the procedure should be the same. Basically, you:

1. Launch your Windows VM and login.
    2. Plug in your wheel.
    3. When prompted by your VM software, tell it to connect the device to Windows.
    4. Then follow the Fanatec instructions1 just as you normally would.

During the install, you follow Fanatec's instructions to the letter. The only difference is that when you connect your wheel, the VM software will ask you if you want the connected device to attach to Windows or MacOS. You'll select Windows.

Footnote 1: CSL Elite Manual (page 20-28): https://fanatec.com/media/pdf/73/37/...xfh0dqjLIm.pdf
    COMPETITIVE RACING LICENSE Infographic | FFB INFO | SAFE IS FAST
    PS4 | FANATEC CSL Elite | FANATEC ClubSport Pedals v3
    The following user likes this Post: davidt33

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
    I'm subscribed to this thread, so I get email notifications

First up, head over to the Fanatec CSL Elite for PS4 product page. Scroll down past the shopping cart buttons and look for the Downloads tab. You should see this note about the firmware:

It's been a long time since I updated my firmware (my current version works fine for me), but the procedure should be the same. Basically, you:

1. Launch your Windows VM and login.
    2. Plug in your wheel.
    3. When prompted by your VM software, tell it to connect the device to Windows.
    4. Then follow the Fanatec instructions1 just as you normally would.

During the install, you follow Fanatec's instructions to the letter. The only difference is that when you connect your wheel, the VM software will ask you if you want the connected device to attach to Windows or MacOS. You'll select Windows.

Footnote 1: CSL Elite Manual (page 20-28): https://fanatec.com/media/pdf/73/37/...xfh0dqjLIm.pdf
    Thanks bradley...and especially for the prompt reply.
    The steps 1-4 were extremely helpful since I wasn't too sure of how to begin etc from there.
    About downloading the Driver from the Fanatec website to begin with. I'm assuming I should first launch the Windows VM before downloading right so that the driver/firmware is downloaded to the Windows environment and location?

And what about the Mac mouse for navigating in the Windows VM? Would it work as normal or do I have to configure the mouse or whatever?
    PS4. Fanatec CSL Elite wheel and pedals. PSN ID: davidtsmith333

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by davidt33 View Post
    Thanks bradley...and especially for the prompt reply.
    The steps 1-4 were extremely helpful since I wasn't too sure of how to begin etc from there.
    About downloading the Driver from the Fanatec website to begin with. I'm assuming I should first launch the Windows VM before downloading right so that the driver/firmware is downloaded to the Windows environment and location?

And what about the Mac mouse for navigating in the Windows VM? Would it work as normal or do I have to configure the mouse or whatever?
    Sure thing. So I take it this is your first time using a Windows VM? Here's what you need to know about using a Windows VM:

The Virtual Machine is like having two physical computers in one. They share peripherals (mouse, keyboard, printer, etc) and ports (USB, WiFi, Ethernet, etc) through something called a "Hypervisor". You don't really need to know that term, just know that it's there, and it is provided by whatever VM software you use. For example, if you use Parallels Desktop, the Hypervisor is provided by Parallels, so you configure all the interaction between MacOS and Windows using the Parallels Desktop software. The same applies for VMWare Fusion and even VirtualBox. Personally, I've used Parallels and VirtualBox, but mostly just out of habit. VMWare Fusion is a great product as well.

Once you've got a Virtual Machine running, you'll want to be sure to install the "guest tools". How you do this varies based on what software (Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox) you're using. This software will allow your Mac's mouse and keyboard will interact with the "guest" operating system (Windows, in this case) seamlessly. All you'll need to do is move your mouse over the Windows Virtual Machine window, and bam! Your mouse is now controlling Windows instead of MacOS. If you don't install the guest tools, your mouse will be "captured" by Windows when you click inside the window. This is really getting into the weeds though, and really only applies if you haven't completed the Windows Virtual Machine installation completely. My advice would be to do that. Follow the instructions from your VM software provider completely, and you'll be fine.

Once you've go the VM up and running, you'll do everything within Windows. Visiting the Fanatec website, downloading, installing. Everything. Treat it as if you connected the wheel to a Windows computer, because that's literally what you will have done
    COMPETITIVE RACING LICENSE Infographic | FFB INFO | SAFE IS FAST
    PS4 | FANATEC CSL Elite | FANATEC ClubSport Pedals v3
    The following user likes this Post: davidt33

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
    Sure thing. So I take it this is your first time using a Windows VM? Here's what you need to know about using a Windows VM:

The Virtual Machine is like having two physical computers in one. They share peripherals (mouse, keyboard, printer, etc) and ports (USB, WiFi, Ethernet, etc) through something called a "Hypervisor". You don't really need to know that term, just know that it's there, and it is provided by whatever VM software you use. For example, if you use Parallels Desktop, the Hypervisor is provided by Parallels, so you configure all the interaction between MacOS and Windows using the Parallels Desktop software. The same applies for VMWare Fusion and even VirtualBox. Personally, I've used Parallels and VirtualBox, but mostly just out of habit. VMWare Fusion is a great product as well.

Once you've got a Virtual Machine running, you'll want to be sure to install the "guest tools". How you do this varies based on what software (Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox) you're using. This software will allow your Mac's mouse and keyboard will interact with the "guest" operating system (Windows, in this case) seamlessly. All you'll need to do is move your mouse over the Windows Virtual Machine window, and bam! Your mouse is now controlling Windows instead of MacOS. If you don't install the guest tools, your mouse will be "captured" by Windows when you click inside the window. This is really getting into the weeds though, and really only applies if you haven't completed the Windows Virtual Machine installation completely. My advice would be to do that. Follow the instructions from your VM software provider completely, and you'll be fine.

Once you've go the VM up and running, you'll do everything within Windows. Visiting the Fanatec website, downloading, installing. Everything. Treat it as if you connected the wheel to a Windows computer, because that's literally what you will have done
    Wow. Thanks again Bradley. I think this (all your advice) is the most helpful I've ever gotten. Cheers.
    PS4. Fanatec CSL Elite wheel and pedals. PSN ID: davidtsmith333
    The following user likes this Post: bradleyland